what saw to buy-husky 455 or 359?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rudolphski

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all.:) This is my first post on the forum
. I hope you can help Me pick a saw for heavy cutting that's part time in nature. I've been in the market for a new saw for awhile and have narrowed it down to these two saw's from husky. I can't decide if the extra cost of the 359 over the 455 is worth it. But on the other hand I'm the kinda guy that will gladly spend more if it means five more year's of life out of a saw.

I have a 359 and i love it. Spend the extra 100 dollars. Where are you planning on getting the saw? On line? There are some good deals out there. I run a 20 inch bar on mine and i am very happy with it. I have been using Oregon LG chain and it has cut very fast for me.

What do you mean by "heavy cutting?" And by "in nature" do you mean timber? I don't think either saw is suitable for what I think of "heavy cutting" or timber to be, but if I had to choose, it'd be the 359 hands down. Better saw, with better potential for mods.

Jeff

Thanks for the fast reply. I'm planing on buying the saw at My local Farm&Fleet. They are selling the 455 for $339 and the 359 for $489. Is that a fair price? I still feel like I'm goin way over hill in the back of my mind. I know that I only have to buy a saw once and it'll last Me for a long a$$ time but the price just makes My check book burn.......Man why did I have the be born a HP loving redneck motor head!:laugh:

Between those 2 saws ...easy choice...the 359. The question still begs , what are you cutting. How often? What size wood? Do you have a saw now?

asb151 said:
Between those 2 saws ...easy choice...the 359. The question still begs , what are you cutting. How often? What size wood? Do you have a saw now?

Right now I don't have a working saw. My last saw was a pos Polan that lasted a year. As far as what I'll be cutting, I have lots of land with manly hard wood tree's. Most of them fall in the 14" all the way to 23" range. So I'm looking for a saw that can sorta do it all. Now for how often I use the saw. I've had year's were I had to use a saw ten twenty times easy and I've had year's were I'm lucky to get out more than four five times.

Rudolphski said:
Right now I don't have a working saw. My last saw was a pos Polan that lasted a year. As far as what I'll be cutting, I have lots of land with manly hard wood tree's. Most of them fall in the 14" all the way to 23" range. So I'm looking for a saw that can sorta do it all. Now for how often I use the saw. I've had year's were I had to use a saw ten twenty times easy and I've had year's were I'm lucky to get out more than four five times.

You could get by with a 359 and a 20 inch bar. However, having a little more saw for the bigger stuff would be nice. Especially if its hard wood. A 372XP with a 20 inch bar would run $600(ish). With that saw you would never look back!!

Rudolphski said:
Thanks for the fast reply. I'm planing on buying the saw at My local Farm&Fleet. They are selling the 455 for $339 and the 359 for $489. Is that a fair price? I still feel like I'm goin way over hill in the back of my mind. I know that I only have to buy a saw once and it'll last Me for a long a$$ time but the price just makes My check book burn.......Man why did I have the be born a HP loving redneck motor head!:laugh:

Well i think that $339 is a good price for the 455 however, you can do better than $489 for a 359. My 359 does well with wood up to 15 inches however if i want to get through bigger stuff i switch over to the 575. If you are going to cut anything harder than pine you may want something bigger. The 359 is the way to go. The 455 seems heavy and underpowered.

Bailey's has 359's for 429 and they come with a 20 inch bar pro bar and chain 72 LG chain.

I have been thinking about getting one of the 372's for Bailey's....I can't wait to long....I would like to compare it to my 575xp.
Rob

Is the 455 Rancher Really Junk???!!!

How can anyone say the 455 is junk. Its a new saw for Husky and is yet to be given a fair shake. Sure some models are more powerful and some are professional grade. Don't you think the jury is still out on this one?

rjh245 said:
...I would like to compare it to my 575xp.

Well, it'll be lighter!

As for you 'dolphski, if you're using the saw that seldom (I'd consider even 30 times a year seldom) the 359 will do. Hardwood much over 16" or 18" seen regularly, will call for a larger saw, but for what you describe the 359 will manage well. So you're cutting for firewood? 359 fills that roll well. Cutting for thinning/timber, the 359 would be a bit shy I'd reckon.

Jeff

kallaste said:
How can anyone say the 455 is junk. Its a new saw for Husky and is yet to be given a fair shake. Sure some models are more powerful and some are professional grade. Don't you think the jury is still out on this one?

It is way overweight for the power it delivers. That alone is enough to make it a saw that very few here are interested in buying or recommending.

As said, get the 359. Forget the 455, it is nowhere near as good of a saw as the 359. Spend the bit extra and have a much better saw.

kallaste said:

It's been out for over a year hasn't it? And the 55R came immediately before it. And while I've never called it junk, I think in the comparison with the 359 it comes up short. Both on paper, and in the cut. It's a homeowner saw, and the 359 could be considered professional. It's like if someone compared a Stihl 290 to a 361 or 440. The 290 isn't a junky saw, it just doesn't compare to either of the other two. It's heavier and has less power, among other things.

Like the 290, the 455 is a decent saw in it's intended roll.

Jeff

kallaste said:

Because it is not built like the saw that it is replacing....the 55R!!!

The 455 is a REAL PIG!!! Weighs almost what a Stihl MS440 weighs............'nuff said!!!

kallaste said:

Well I am sure it is not a bad saw, far better than your average poulan, however i look and the numbers and it is a heavy and only is a 55cc saw.Do you have one? I don't. If you do, let us know what you think about it. I think i would get a 350 before i got a 455. Most of the 455 saws i see are running 3/8 inch chain on 20 inch bars. I think that is a big chain and a long bar for a 55cc chain saw.
Some people really hate the new 575xp. I really like mine so, it is not that I refuse to give a new saw a fair shake....i just agree with those who say the 455 may have been made to get EPA points. (Yes, i know the 575 was a result of the EPA)
Rob

fishhuntcutwood said:
It's been out for over a year hasn't it? And the 55R came immediately before it. And while I've never called it junk, I think in the comparison with the 359 it comes up short. Both on paper, and in the cut. It's a homeowner saw, and the 359 could be considered professional. It's like if someone compared a Stihl 290 to a 361 or 440. The 290 isn't a junky saw, it just doesn't compare to either of the other two. It's heavier and has less power, among other things.

Like the 290, the 455 is a decent saw in it's intended roll.

Jeff

Well said Jeff. Husky has built good saw for a long time. The fact that the 455 is a tad heavier and maybe not quite as powerful as other models is a moot point to me. I am a casual user not a professional. What i am concerned with is that it starts and runs well for a long time. If I cannot manage to carry an extra pound or 2 maybe I should hire my cutting out. Just my 2 cents.

kallaste said:
Well said Jeff. Husky has built good saw for a long time. The fact that the 455 is a tad heavier and maybe not quite as powerful as other models is a moot point to me. I am a casual user not a professional. What i am concerned with is that it starts and runs well for a long time. If I cannot manage to carry an extra pound or 2 maybe I should hire my cutting out. Just my 2 cents.

Ya, but wouldn't you rather have as much power for the weight you have to carry? That is why it falls short, is that for the power it provides, and the amount it weighs, you can get lighter saws with the same power, or more powerful saws for the same weight.

rjh245 said:
Well I am sure it is not a bad saw, far better than your average poulan, however i look and the numbers and it is a heavy and only is a 55cc saw.Do you have one? I don't. If you do, let us know what you think about it. I think i would get a 350 before i got a 455. Most of the 455 saws i see are running 3/8 inch chain on 20 inch bars. I think that is a big chain and a long bar for a 55cc chain saw.
Some people really hate the new 575xp. I really like mine so, it is not that I refuse to give a new saw a fair shake....i just agree with those who say the 455 may have been made to get EPA points. (Yes, i know the 575 was a result of the EPA)
Rob

Rob I just purchased the 455 . I dont like the EPA stuff on the saw, but I think one day all saws will have it. My saw came new with an 18" bar and the anti kickback chain. The saw is not broken in at this point. I can tell you that it cuts oak WITH the grain on a log wider than the bar without stopping the chain or over burdening the engine. I wouldnt want to do it all the time because I feel its hard on the saw , but none the less it did what I asked of it. As long as it starts and runs well I cannot ask much more of it.

Latest posts

Back