what saw to buy-husky 455 or 359?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kallaste said:
Well said Jeff. Husky has built good saw for a long time. The fact that the 455 is a tad heavier and maybe not quite as powerful as other models is a moot point to me. I am a casual user not a professional. What i am concerned with is that it starts and runs well for a long time. If I cannot manage to carry an extra pound or 2 maybe I should hire my cutting out. Just my 2 cents.

Kallaste....By any chance do you drive a minivan?;)

just kidding!

asb151 said:
Kallaste....By any chance do you drive a minivan?;)

just kidding!

You must be read minds. My wife drives a honda oddessy!! Not that Husky is bad, but man I wish Honda make a chainsaw!!!

In all seriousness you guys are probably right about the weight and power. I had a 142 and returned it because I couldn't stand the thought of it being made by Poulin. I bought the 455 because it was the largest cc saw that I could afford. I cannot see spending more for a casual use saw. Compared to the homelite 150 I have this is a Cadillac

Comparing the 359 to the 455 is like comparing a Playboy playmate to Hillary Clinton. Anyone who can only afford the 455 would be better off to buy a 353 which will outcut the 455, regardless of what the power ratings say.And of course, it is far lighter. Unlike the 55Rancher which it replaced, the 455 doesn't have the power to pull the 3/8 chain that comes on it. It is really more of a concession to guys who like the "big chips" from "full size chain"

There are only 2 Huskys that I don't stock: the 3120 and the 455. As big as the 455 chassis is, you would think that they could get a 60cc jug on there. Now that would be a decent saw for the money. Who knows, ELUX usually doesn't design a saw frame for just one engine size.

fishhuntcutwood said:
It's been out for over a year hasn't it? And the 55R came immediately before it. And while I've never called it junk, I think in the comparison with the 359 it comes up short. Both on paper, and in the cut. It's a homeowner saw, and the 359 could be considered professional. It's like if someone compared a Stihl 290 to a 361 or 440. The 290 isn't a junky saw, it just doesn't compare to either of the other two. It's heavier and has less power, among other things.

Like the 290, the 455 is a decent saw in it's intended roll.

Jeff

Good post Jeff -

grnlfclimber said:
for the price buy th 455 rancher I have run one daily for a year and no problems yet! 455R.338XPT,3120XPT,STIHL038:blob2:

I like your taste in saws, but I have to wonder how that darn Stihl got mixed up in there... ;)

For close to the price of a 455 - get the 353 hands down

The 359 is a much better saw than the 455 but as previously stated will run about $100 more

Personally I think the 365 Special is about the best deal out there, you can pick one up for around $475 new with 3 chains on Ebay. This price is only about $50 more than a 359, and it's way more saw. The 365 will do almost everything that a 372XP will do, not quite as fast but it's a good $100 less.

DougNH said:

The 359 is a much better saw than the 455 but as previously stated will run about $100 more

Personally I think the 365 Special is about the best deal out there, you can pick one up for around $475 new with 3 chains on Ebay. This price is only about $50 more than a 359, and it's way more saw. The 365 will do almost everything that a 372XP will do, not quite as fast but it's a good $100 less.

Good point on the 365. Great saw.

MADDOG_359 said:
i just recently bought a brand new 359 off of ebay with a 20 in bar for $400 shipped. thats the best deal i have found and the shipping was fast. here's the link if ur interested. the auction ends in a very short time but i just called them up and did it all over the phone to save me and them some money

Which bar did your saw have? The Farm Tough or the solid? Thanks

Stay away from the 455, I think you should go with the 353 or even the 350. If you look at the specs there is not much separateing them except for their weight.

Lucky

AKA Buck

Thanks for all the help guy's. I did some more indepth research and I fully argee to a 359 now. I thought the 455 had a nice feel to it but something just was just not right about it. I think it's still a nice saw but the spec's don't ad up. It's oil and gas tanks are smaller than the 350 and the 20 inch bar seams more like a eggo boost more than a logical performance add one. So now that I know that I'm buying the 359. What kinda power can I get out of it by get some air through that nasty oem muffler?

Rudolphski said:
Thanks for all the help guy's. I did some more indepth research and I fully argee to a 359 now. I thought the 455 had a nice feel to it but something just was just not right about it. I think it's still a nice saw but the spec's don't ad up. It's oil and gas tanks are smaller than the 350 and the 20 inch bar seams more like a eggo boost more than a logical performance add one. So now that I know that I'm buying the 359. What kinda power can I get out of it by get some air through that nasty oem muffler?

You might want to just getting it home and run 10 tanks or so through it before you consider modding it. If you still feel it needs more power then mod the muffler (or have someone do it for you). If you search here you will find that saw has the potential for significant gains in power depending how far you want to take and if you want to spend the extra money.

Rudolphski said:
the 20 inch bar seams more like a eggo boost more than a logical performance add one.

I think it's an ego boost, but I don't know anything about waffles. :confused:

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist. :laugh:

You'll be glad you went with the 359. It's a better saw. Get it, run it a bit and then start looking for upgrades.

Jeff

DougNH said:

I agree - I love my 365 special...

wborum said:
MADDOG_359 said:
i just recently bought a brand new 359 off of ebay with a 20 in bar for $400 shipped. thats the best deal i have found and the shipping was fast. here's the link if ur interested. the auction ends in a very short time but i just called them up and did it all over the phone to save me and them some money

Which bar did your saw have? The Farm Tough or the solid? Thanks

it had the farm tough bar on it

Latest posts

Back