What type of wood is this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seattle nate

Reaction score
I got off work early enough Friday to buy a permit. I found the wood on Middle Fork Road near North Bend. Sorry in advance for dumb question. This is my first year cutting and my first post on AS.

I got off work early enough Friday to buy a permit. I found the wood on Middle Fork Road near North Bend. Sorry in advance for dumb question. This is my first year cutting and my first post on AS.

Looks like popular to me.

Welcome to AS!

286445d1364095279-image-jpg

Welcome to the Jungle

North Bend ?

Show another pic of the round end

Last edited:
Welcome

I don't know about the wood, but I know what that orange and white thing on top is. If you split a round and it is light yellow with green streaking or even a hint of purple streaking, then it's definitely poplar.

?Birch? White, flaky paper like bark?? I dunno, we don't have much that looks like that around here. Kinda' reminds me of the Aspen? we burned while camping in S.E. Colorado years ago,,did I mention I dunno,,

Get 'er seasoned and call it fire wood!

yep, looks like birch from here but we need to see the end grain and a split pc would be good also. Cherry bark looks like that down in the southeast US. Aspen is a possibility but does not look like out (tulip) poplar

Looks like black birch to me. Definitely not aspen/poplar.

I see poplar rounds. Not the best for long BTU's [sounds like an F14 afterburner when going hot in the stove]but, it beats burning snowballs !! Nice to split too in my experience. Split it in as big a piece as you can load into your burner and you'll be good to go.

Last edited:
defentily not tulip poplar the bark is all wrong for that. Red alder i think but we don't have that here.

Back