whats the most useful bar and chain combo for 346xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for clarifying jon1212. Mines a NE. I'm gonna do some work on it in the future. But love it stock as I received it. The 325 20" just seems a little nose heavy to me. That's why I started this thread to see what y'all are running.

The nose heavy 20" is why I went to the 20" NK, balances about the same as the 18" .325.

Thanks for clarifying jon1212. Mines a NE. I'm gonna do some work on it in the future. But love it stock as I received it. The 325 20" just seems a little nose heavy to me. That's why I started this thread to see what y'all are running.

You're welcome. Which type of bar are you currently running? Solid RSN, or Laminated sprocket nose? If you have a solid bar, switching to a laminated bar may help with balance.

Lmao. Ok so I see some are running 3/8 and some are running. 325. Now what brand are you running. Factory bars. Stihl bars. Certain aftermarket brands. Any certain preferences.

It laminated sprocket nose. We don't have a lot of husky support around here. So I usually have to order anything I need that doesn't come from the stihl dealer. I like those speed tips sunfish. Our tsc used to carry husqvarna chain and bars now its all jonsered and county line crap.

Lmao. Ok so I see some are running 3/8 and some are running. 325. Now what brand are you running. Factory bars. Stihl bars. Certain aftermarket brands. Any certain preferences.

I don't have anything stock to reference against because my 346xp came from Randy, so the extra bananas were already installed when I received it. I can tell you that at 14,5 (and Sea level) it pulls a 20" 3/8" .050 RSN Husky bar without breaking a sweat (no matter what species I'm cutting). I wanted to be able to run my 3/8" Stihl RSC chains on the Husky- hence the switch over from the .325 7Pin Rim it came with to the 3/8" 7Pin Rim set up. The bar is basically a Oregon Power Match Plus labeled for Husky and it is a little bit nose heavy, but not bad and IMO certainly worth the trade off for the added reach for liming and good for up to 18" rounds. You pay a little more for the Husky logo (you can get the same bar in the Oregon flavor for about half the price), but I'm very happy with the bar quality and the size setup overall. I hope this helps a little & Good luck on your quest-

IMG_3466.JPG IMG_3468.JPG IMG_3464.JPG IMG_3740.JPG

I don't have anything stock to reference against because my 346xp came from Randy, so the extra bananas were already installed when I received it. I can tell you that at 14,5 (and Sea level) it pulls a 20" 3/8" .050 RSN Husky bar without breaking a sweat (no matter what species I'm cutting). I wanted to be able to run my 3/8" Stihl RSC chains on the Husky- hence the switch over from the .325 7Pin Rim it came with to the 3/8" 7Pin Rim set up. The bar is basically a Oregon Power Match Plus labeled for Husky and it is a little bit nose heavy, but not bad and IMO certainly worth the trade off for the added reach for liming and good for up to 18" rounds. You pay a little more for the Husky logo (you can get the same bar in the Oregon flavor for about half the price), but I'm very happy with the bar quality and the size setup overall. I hope this helps a little & Good luck on your quest-

View attachment 456284 View attachment 456285 View attachment 456286 View attachment 456290

14,5 RPM that is.

Ok that's a start. I was told or read on here that a stock 346xp wouldn't pull 3/8 very well. Kinda thought that was BS myself.

A stock one will usually be a tad faster with .325x7, while .325x8 vs. 3/8"x7 is more of a toss-up in speed (yes, I have tested). .325 is smoother and nicer to use, specially for limbing etc.

Regardless of pitch, I prefer a relatively light 16" bar and Oregon LP/LPX chain.

It laminated sprocket nose. We don't have a lot of husky support around here. So I usually have to order anything I need that doesn't come from the stihl dealer. I like those speed tips sunfish. Our tsc used to carry husqvarna chain and bars now its all jonsered and county line crap.
Jred bars work fine as do Oregon.

i run 16" 3/8's but if i had no other saws bigger then it set up to run longer bars it wouldn't even be a question for me. i'd be running 20" .325.

Latest posts

Back