Where is the PS5100s?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if it can beat the 346 I will be happy cause that is the saw it has to beat , I know both of mine will be running 3/8 's chain right off the bat and will see how they turn out once the UPS driver finds my place

this has been gone over many times but I donot like .325 chain and like 3/8's so that is what I run on everysaw that comes here even if I know the owner is going to use .325 I switch over to 3/8's do my playing with it and switch it back to .325 for him

OK I am impressed with the saw, it started without any problems right out of the box(after I fueled it) this is nice when you take a new one off the rack and prep it in front of the customer. I hate having to dig limiter caps off to get the thing to run with the customer there. It seems to have plenty of adjustment for the carb adjusting screws. It runs at its advertised 14,500 rpm. As I said earlier it has very good vibration dampening. I like the convenience features, outboard sprocket, side tension, easy off cover and air filter. I don't care for the cable throttle linkage they never do seem to loosen up. I ordered mine in with .325 chain figuring it is a runner and not a lugger (I'm the guy that loves .404, so this took some faith on my part) the factory chain is junk, big suprise. I was running it in some bone dry oak off the woodpile did real well until the chain lost it's edge.
Needs a compression relief, I could start it my father couldn't. I had him start a warmed up xl12 no problem. Now get this he drug out his 041 Farmboss cold and got that going. What's up with that.
I weighted some saws I had around for comparison
PS 5100 18" .325 1/2 full 15 1/2 lbs.
PS 510 " " empty 15 1/4 lbs.
PS 540 18" 3/8 empty 14 1/4 lbs.
PS 6400 20" 3/8 almost empty 18 1/2 lbs.
Poulan Pro 335 18" .325 1/2 full 15 3/4 lbs.
Husky 372XP 20" 1/2 full almost 19 1/2
041 Farmboss 20" 1/4 full 18 3/4
PS 401 Dolmar 16" empty 11 3/4
xl12 16" HN almost full 17 1/4
Poulan Pro 505 24" 1/4 tank 21 1/4

To me it seems ideal for hardwood up to what it's 18" bar can handle for a one saw arsenal. You can limb and block effectively. I wouldn't go to a longer bar myself,taller folks may like a longer bar for knocking off limbs when a tree is down. Why it has to weigh more than the PS 540 I don't know. Get the convenience features of the 5100 on the 540 without gaining weight and then you would really have something.

Marco said:
the factory chain is junk, big suprise. I was running it in some bone dry oak off the woodpile did real well until the chain lost it's edge.
Needs a compression relief, I could start it my father couldn't. I had him start a warmed up xl12 no problem. Now get this he drug out his 041 Farmboss cold and got that going. What's up with that.

FINALLY someone who agrees this series saw needs a deco valve for those customers that cannot give a rapid strong pull!!!

And yes the famous 30 series oregon chain is for the birds tooth is too SMALL I prefer the 20 series tooth but am ordering this series with 3/8 72V chain

Will run mine tomorrow after UPS comes tell you more after

Scott

Last edited:
I hope to do some business with Tony M, whenever he decides to get some in :) Was thinking about going the 325 pitch route with mine so it would be easy to convert to the 95VP (and bar if need be) I just want a light, handy and fast limber, gots big irons for bigger work.

In Europe Dolmar uses a "H" ("Happy Start") suffix to designate the models with decomp valve.
The 5000 is available (?) with or without it, as far as I know.

Edit:
I just found out that Dolmar are using the suffixes a little different on the new series of saws:

D - "Deko", or decomp valve
H - heated handles
S - 14500 rpm coil

Last edited:
They're here!!! Central Power has them in stock. I bet I have one tomorrow. If anyone is interested in getting one from me, I'll order more while there are extras, so let me know.

Finally, boy, how long has it been since we first heard about this saw, 2 years!!

Yo Ed, are you gonna mod a 5100 and my 346 at the same time? Then you can post before after cut times. As well, you have a scale don't ya, so we can get another check of the comparable weights. As long as the saw beats the 346 by a reasonable margin, I'll surely want one.

did ya ship the two saws yet? Have a total for me? Want a blank check? A tracking number would be cool.

well the freight truck just dropped off our shipment of PS5100s and had one gassed and running before the truck left lol. Yes it does need a deco. installed stock 72V on it took it to the wood pile yes power is great but it is not a 4.8ci PS7900 it is a great younger brother to the 7900

as far as comparing it to a 346 bring it on this is DOLMAR country who has heard of 346??

SCOTT

Roger your 372 and 192 are boxed up and will be gone by tomorrow so I will send you a tracking number, I have your 346 here and KF trees that is already modded to compare to and yes I have the use of a gov. scale to use, the post office, no UPS truck yet but it is still early for them

Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner. Very nice. Very smooth. Initial impression is that it will outcut the 115i, but no official times yet. Stihl like side chain tensioner mounted in the saw body. Small Husqvarna bar mount pattern. Very clean outboard sprocket set up. All you Stihl guys will love the new control lever. It is just like Stihl's Master Control, except completely backwards. Full down is off. Full up is choke. Comes with .325 X 7 sprocket (PS540 and 115i run faster with a .325 X 8). Started easily, and carbureted well out of the box (unlike the PS540). Weighs in .5lb more than the PS540 (both brand new powerheads) so the published weight seems reasonable.

Our Dolmar PS-5100's showed up yesterday at noon, already sold most of the order.

Just sold a 5100S to a customer with a 346XP, he made 2 cuts with it and
pulled out the Cash!

Steve

Just sharpened up a couple square filed chains and cut back to back between the 115i and the PS5100s. I'm afraid the 115i may have to relenquish it's place in my heart. The 5100s, even though it is far from broke in, is already giving the 115i stiff competition, and maybe even cutting faster. My 115i even has a slight muffler mod. No question this is a good running saw, and even after all the hype, it is no disappointment. Good job Dolmar.

All I`ve seen in this thread so far is unsubstantiated hype and put downs of other saws like the 346xp. Put up some video and numbers so everyone can see for themselves.

Russ

Well, since everything is relative, and there are so many variables, what good is a video or times? I've owned a Dan Henry modified 346XP, cut with a Niegerized 346XP and 115i. I have a modified Solo 651 Pro. I've also owned an 026 Pro, and the Dolmar PS540. If I ranked the saws by power, it would go like this.

1 - Niegerized 115i (that sucker was fast)
2 - Niegerized 346XP and Henry 346XP too close to call
3 - Modified Solo 651 Pro and Stock PS5100 too close to call
4 - Stock 115i
5 - Stihl 026 Pro
6 - Dolmar PS540

Never cut with a stock 346XP.

THe 5100s actually reminds me the most of the 346XP, but it has better features, and more umph (than a stock one I'd surmise). I actually like the 346XP.

Last edited:
I used two 115si Dolmars for logging and firewood for a two year period. If the new 5100's equal or better the 115, I will have to get some.

Back