Where is the PS5100s?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mange said:
I do not think it is hard to believe.
Keep in mind that Jokers has not run one yet, or Walker.
But still have a pretty good idea of the saw......Hmmmmm

Well Mange given that I heard and read all of the hype surrounding the 7900 prior to it`s realease, and then I bought one and used it stock, I know that a healthy dose of scepticism is a good thing. Dolmar and it`s marketer are no more beyond reproach than anyone else`s.

Didn`t I say that my frustration is primarily with the distribution and that I may be in the 5100 camp by the end of the week or can`t you guys understand that?

And yeah, the 5100 is only rated at about .5 hp more than the 346 so I really can`t believe that the 5100 is going to blow it away and how many people stated that the original ms260 was more powerful by the specs so it would surely outcut the 346? Maybe I`ll be surprised.

Russ

I think you will be supriced, Jokers.
This I have stated and stand by.
bwalker said:
Mange, i never said I had a pretty good idea of how the saw actually would perform. I simply stated that the 346's performance is hard to beat, and I dont even really like the small Husky's.
My thoughts on Dolmar as of now is too much hype, nagging issues, and not enough quality dealers.
BTW 166, Nice shop. If Dolmar had more dealers like yourself that might actually have a chance of competing with Stihl and Husky.

How about this Walker... .

bwalker said:
I would be real supprised if this saw outperforms a 346. Even if it does it is around a pound and a half heavier. Add to that the sporadic dealer network and on going issues with the 7900 and I'm more than a little trigger shy.
You clearly state your point as well as Jokers.
There is nothing wrong in this, but you both do have opinions on text alone.
I have run the 5000, not the 5100, but I doubt the 5100 performes less than mine.
I have ryn several out of the box new 346, If this under timed cuts does not beat the 346, I will be really surpriced.
It feels much faster and more powerfull.

166 said:
Jokers,
I have had customers waiting for 2 years to see & run this new saw.
That`s a no sh!tter!
166 said:
The customer with the 346 stopped in on friday, looked over the saw made a couple cuts and bought it is that hard to believe?
Steve
No, but the way that you phrase it now makes it out to be less relevant that the owns a 346 than I believe your original statement read. I just don`t see guys dropping the 346 in droves to buy a Dolmar, atleast for a while.

I hope to be on the team of Dolmar lovers by week`s end. Until then, I can`t understand why you guys can`t accept the the 5100 is entirely unproven except to a handful of dealers and a guy in Sweden who doesn`t even get the same model that we will get here. Given that I don`t know any of you guys from Adam, why shouldn`t I be sceptical when it would be in your best interest to exaggerate the amazing abilities of your new product?

Now when I finally do get one I`ll have to tell everyone that it sucks just to live up to your expectations. :laugh:

Russ

Mange said:
I think you will be supriced, Jokers.

I hope that you are right Mange. If this 5100 pans out, my dealer will also be a Dolmar dealer in addition to carrying Stihl, Husky, and a few other brands. Loyalty to one brand isn`t necessary.

Russ

jokers said:
I hope that you are right Mange. If this 5100 pans out, my dealer will also be a Dolmar dealer in addition to carrying Stihl, Husky, and a few other brands. Loyalty to one brand isn`t necessary.

Russ
How about that. I agree!
If it is a good model it is, regardless of brand.
I am a bit partial to Jonny red, the older ones. but then I am a collector after all.

Every new saw that has come out in the past 10 years has been compared to the #1 saw ever sold in our area, husky 254. If the local dealer had 100 to sell tomorrow they would sell in a day. The perfect saw for our timber. If the 5100 can run with the 254 they would be a great saw. The advertised numbers match up, 254-4.1 hp, 11.7lbs. I have 346, ms260, dolmar 115si, redmax 5000. None can match the 254. I would like to see a comparison of 254-5100. My last 254 stock (2001) will beat any stock 357 I have owned. No dolmar dealers here any more, anyone what to send one down my way. Art
Art,
I believe I have a customer with a 254, and he will be trying a PS-5100S. This same customer has 3 7900's and I think a couple 254's.
Steve

Mange said:
How about that. I agree!

I always said that you are a pretty smart guy for a treehoser! :laugh:

Disclaimer: Before all you TH`ers get your panties in a knot, stop wearing your girlfriend`s underwear, take a deep breath, and consider that maybe I`m breaking your stones.

Russ

Truth is Jokers I am not a treehouser, treebuzzer or a Arborist site'er.
How ever I am the with out a doubt a man of CHAINSAW COLLECTORS FURUM!!!!!
Collecting is the thing for me!
Collecting saws is for me what I expect a bit of fuzzy beaver is in Marky's trap. ;)
Feel free to let the mind wonder on that one!

Hi 166, thanks for the reply. My woods crew ran 115si dolmars for a number of years. One tough saw. Raced against two 166's this year also, pretty strong saws. Do you sell saws into Canada?

i thought the 254 was replaced by the 257 then that was replaced by the 357. but then again i could be way off.

jokers said:
I always said that you are a pretty smart guy for a treehoser! :laugh:

Disclaimer: Before all you TH`ers get your panties in a knot, stop wearing your girlfriend`s underwear, take a deep breath, and consider that maybe I`m breaking your stones.

Russ
Russ, you're pretty smart for a lesbian. :cool:

The 254 was the s^it for a small mid-sized saw, I think it was better than the 257.

The 254 started as a 154 around early 80's. Went to 254,254 xp, the last year was around 2002. The 254 was 45 bore,34 stroke (53-54cc), 13,800 rpm. The 262 came later based on 254 bottom end (different rod length on crank).The 257 was an open port saw with 262 bottom end. The starter side,tank/handle, brake side, electronics fit on all saws. The 262/257 crank will fit in 254 cases. The 254 was the saw that replaced the 5000 Partner in my area as the #1 saw used by crews. A modified 254 will cut with a stock 372.

spacemule said:
Russ, you're pretty smart for a lesbian. :cool:

This statement is discriminatory, who says lesbians can`t be smart? I`d rather munch rug than swallow swords! :laugh:

Russ

Last edited:
jokers said:
This statement is discriminatory, who says lesbians can`t be smart? I`d rather much rug than swallow swords! :laugh:

Russ
You do have a point. Ranking you up high is putting them pretty low. . . :p

Stihl Crazy said:
The 254 started as a 154 around early 80's. Went to 254,254 xp, the last year was around 2002. The 254 was 45 bore,34 stroke (53-54cc), 13,800 rpm. The 262 came later based on 254 bottom end (different rod length on crank).The 257 was an open port saw with 262 bottom end. The starter side,tank/handle, brake side, electronics fit on all saws. The 262/257 crank will fit in 254 cases. The 254 was the saw that replaced the 5000 Partner in my area as the #1 saw used by crews. A modified 254 will cut with a stock 372.

How do the old partner 5000's compare with the 3 cube saws of today for cutting speed. what were the changes between the 154,254,254 xp?
if the 254 was "the" saw why is it no longer in production.

thanks,
lucky

lucky001 said:
How do the old partner 5000's compare with the 3 cube saws of today for cutting speed. what were the changes between the 154,254,254 xp?
if the 254 was "the" saw why is it no longer in production.

thanks,
lucky

The 5000s are hot, I don`t remember all of the changes if I ever knew, and the 254 is too dirty.

Russ

Back