Where is the PS5100s?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, I've got two tanks through the PS5100s now. Cutting with three saws on some dead elms on my property, PS7900, PS5100s, and 115i. The power of the 5100s is very impressive. It is cutting slightly faster than the 115i, and the added .5 pound is not noticeable because the balance and anti-vibe are soooo much better. I did some quick comparisons in some roughly 8" dead elm. The PS7900 is cutting between two and three seconds. The PS5100s is cutting just over three seconds, and the 115i is cutting just under 4 seconds (very close to each other - slight edge to the 5100s). These are not stop watch timed, so it's just a relative comparison. I do not have a working stop watch, and I have no one to time me right now, so that's the best I can offer. The 5100s is simply a pleasure to use. I may not have any trees standing on my property by Monday!

I would be real supprised if this saw outperforms a 346. Even if it does it is around a pound and a half heavier. Add to that the sporadic dealer network and on going issues with the 7900 and I'm more than a little trigger shy.

346XP - PS-5100S Specs

PS-5100S Specs
3.1 Cu.In.
50cc
2.9kW
4.0 BHP
14,500 RPM
11.2 Pounds (fuel Tank empty, without chain, guide bar, & Side Cover)

346XP Specs
2.7 Cu.In.
45cc
2.5kW
3.4 HP
14,700 RPM
10.6 Pounds (excl. cutting equipment?)

For a more Equal Comparison
Dolmar PS-4600S (Not Available in the US)
2.8 Cu.In.
46cc
2.6kW
3.5 BHP
14,500 RPM
11.2 Pounds (fuel Tank empty, without chain, guide bar, & Side Cover)

Steve

I doubt a stock 346XP would out perform the 5100. Sure, it may weigh a little less, but out perform it, I doubt it.

My 651 Pro is no longer stock. The 5100 is easily as strong as the stock 651 Pro, though, with a more responsive and higher rpm engine. The anti-vibe on the 651 does not even compare to the 5100, and the controls and design are much more modern on the Dolmar.

Note, I was comparing the 510, not that 5100. My bad. The 5100 weighs only slightly more and puts out .6 more hp than the 346.
I might also point out that the 5100 in all likelyhood weighs the same as a Stihl 361. Stihls advertised weight figures are typicaly are spot on, While Husky and Dolmar leave the sprocket cover, bar nuts and sometimes the bucking spike off to get their published weights. Food for thought.

Ben,
You have the specs from the PS-510, which has less power & more weight

Marco,
The 510 weight 12.5lbs with side cover & bar nuts
The 5100S weights 11.6 lbs with side cover & bar nuts
I weighed both saws with & without SC & BN
Steve

bwalker said:
I would be real supprised if this saw outperforms a 346.

I agree Ben, I say show me the money, or atleast some credible video. It seems that every one of the guys singing the 5100`s praises on this site are dealers so they are immediately considered biased.

It also seems that Ed`s saws haven`t made it to him yet so I can`t get his opinion. Too bad that Dolmar doesn`t have any dealers near me and when I called the number listed on their site to find the nearest local dealer, the receptionist gave me the number for Oswego County BOCES. Business as usual, just more exasperation in trying to deal with Dolmar. This saw better live up to it`s hype. :mad:

Russ

Russ, you should know by now that I don't play favorites. I don't have any 50cc saws here now other than the PS540, and the modified Solo 651. I sell Dolmar and I've never been afraid to say that the PS540 is a little down in the power department. Anyone within driving distance with any other 50cc saw (stock), bring it on over, and we will make some timed cuts with out of the box chain and see which one comes out on top. I might even be willing to make a little wager. If your saw (55cc or less and stock) can beat the PS5100s, I'll let you keep the new chain - free.

Tony,

I`m not questioning your integrity and apologize because it does look like that`s exactly what I was doing. What I am questioning is your perception that the 5100 "is all that" and only because it sounds too good to be true, afterall, your impressions are by your own admission, "seat of pants" and not accurately timed.

CuttinScott also seems to be on the up and up, but he does not provide anything but his impressions as well.

166 lost all credibility in my mind with this statement
166 said:
Just sold a 5100S to a customer with a 346XP, he made 2 cuts with it and
pulled out the Cash!

Steve
where it could be inferred that a guy using a 346 walks in on the day the 5100s arrive, is so impressed with the 5100 vs the 346 that he lays down his cash and basically puts his 346 down for good. This just sounds too incredible because afterall, we are talking just a half horsepower difference when both saws are broken in. If it`s true that a guy who uses 346s came in and bought a 5100 after making two cuts, it`s probably true that the guy has multiple 3 cube saws in his fleet and just wanted to confirm that he would not be disappointed by trying something new. Without having been there during the sale, we have no idea what his perspective was but this statement does sound just a little fantastic.

Who knows, maybe by the end of the week I`ll feel the same way about the 5100. I am extremely interested in what this saw has to offer and I`m extremely frustrated that it`s taken this long to come to market and yet I still don`t have one or even have the chance to try one out.

Russ

Jokers,
I have had customers waiting for 2 years to see & run this new saw. When they came in on Thursday afternoon we sold 6 that day.
The customer with the 346 stopped in on friday, looked over the saw made a couple cuts and bought it is that hard to believe?
Steve

I do not think it is hard to believe.
Keep in mind that Jokers has not run one yet, or Walker.
But still have a pretty good idea of the saw......Hmmmmm

Mange, i never said I had a pretty good idea of how the saw actually would perform. I simply stated that the 346's performance is hard to beat, and I dont even really like the small Husky's.
My thoughts on Dolmar as of now is too much hype, nagging issues, and not enough quality dealers.
BTW 166, Nice shop. If Dolmar had more dealers like yourself that might actually have a chance of competing with Stihl and Husky.

Every new saw that has come out in the past 10 years has been compared to the #1 saw ever sold in our area, husky 254. If the local dealer had 100 to sell tomorrow they would sell in a day. The perfect saw for our timber. If the 5100 can run with the 254 they would be a great saw. The advertised numbers match up, 254-4.1 hp, 11.7lbs. I have 346, ms260, dolmar 115si, redmax 5000. None can match the 254. I would like to see a comparison of 254-5100. My last 254 stock (2001) will beat any stock 357 I have owned. No dolmar dealers here any more, anyone what to send one down my way. Art

Back