Where is the PS5100s?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lucky001 said:
......if the 254 was "the" saw why is it no longer in production. thanks, lucky
The 254xp was replaced by the 357xp, which is a more modern (and cleaner running) design, only slightly more powerful, and also 2/3 of a pound heavier (5.8 vs 5.5 kg).

The last time I looked, the 254xp was still a currant model in parts of the world.

http://www.dlg-test.de/pbdocs/5000.pdf

Last edited:
TonyM said:
....... If your saw (55cc or less and stock) can beat the PS5100s, I'll let you keep the new chain - free.
I think there is reason to believe that the Husky 254xp will do just that in anything but the smallest wood.
It is a bit heavier, though (5.5 vs. 5.2 or 5.3 kg).

Last edited:
rahtreelimbs said:
I am not all that familar with the Husky 254. Is this saw just a bigger version of the 242?
No - they are from the same generation of saws, but belongs to different families. The 254 is on a bigger and heavier "platform".

kf_tree said:
i thought the 254 was replaced by the 257 then that was replaced by the 357. but then again i could be way off.
Not quite correct.
The 254xp was replaced by the 357xp.
The 257 was replaced by the 359.

SawTroll said:
Not quite correct.
The 254xp was replaced by the 357xp.
The 257 was replaced by the 359.
This is correct.

Why quit a good model?

This is actually a good question.
I asked several at Husqvarna Employed and former employed this and Egil Skog gave the best answer I think:
A model is usually discontinued due to the tools used to make the saw (cast etc.) are worn down or the model has faults.
When the tools are replaced there is a opportunity for improvement and this changes the model.

You guys are on a RABBIT trail now. We are looking for more results on the 5100s.

Okay, what do you guys want? I will buy a stopwatch, but I do not have any video equipment. I can time some cuts, but what do you want me to compare it to? Do I have to go and by a new 346XP out of my pocket? If someone close by was willing to provide some other saw models (026, 346XP, 350), we could get some numbers. What good is it going to do for me to test against my 115i, when few have a feeling for that saw? Or my Solo 651, for that matter? I can test against the PS540, but I know it will blow away that saw. Or I can test against a PS7900, but what's the point? Someone step up to the plate, bring a saw out to the shop, and we'll put them to the test.

Tony,

It`s honorable for you to accept the challenge but unless someone local offers you a saw, it`s unreasonable to expect that you will be able to carry out the test.

Maybe Ed will have his 5100s today. He has a watch and video and probably has access to an unmodified 346 but I`m sure that he has times recorded for stockers anyway.

Russ

Thanks!

I did sell my modified 346XP to a local tree monkey. I thought about taking the 5100s out to show it to him. Maybe we could time some cuts. He is not really the kind of guy that would make it easy to do a good comparison, though. Maybe he'd let me borrow the saw for a night.

I did get out and cut some more with the Dolmar yesterday. I still stand by that it is very good running 50cc saw. Is it the fastest? Probably, but if not, it's the whole package that still makes it a winner.

off to the wood pile as we speak, I have Roger's stock 346 and KFtree's modded one to compare with, I will weigh them both first to see what weigh what. I will take some video of them cutting

TonyM said:
That woodpile must be a long walk!

uhhh yeah, he has to drive over. Of course you wouldn`t have known that.

It`s also common for Ed to put a few gallons of gas through the saws at the woodpile so it takes awhile.

Russ

well I put 4 tanks threw the 5100s, very nice saw to run and feels nice in the hands.
I weigh the 5100s on a very accurate scale, and the stock 346, both saw had their side covers on plus their spikes

5100s== 11.551 pounds
346 xp= 11.286 pounds so the 346 is just a tough lighter , you guys can say what you want but that is the real weight with both saws being the same for extras.

I put one tank of gas threw the 5100 and pulled the ears of the caps on the jets, it was sitting on the rpm limiter at 14590 rpm's and I felt it was a little lean,

I ran the same bar and chain on both saws in their videos, the 346 is RBtrees and I am not sure how many tanks of gas it has threw it but I put 2 more , I feels right up on compression and the motor is running good, I set the carb to 14200 where it cut the fastest.
7 pin 3/8's gear and 73 LG never filed chain, this is a fair of test as I can do .
I did 2 cuts per run , time was 14.34 seconds for the 346

Okay, adding to EHP's test, I warmed up the saws making a few cuts, then timed three cuts in about an 8-10" black locust. I used the same bar and chain (square filed chisel) on all three saws. The Solo and PS5100s use .325 X 7 sprockets. The Other two Dolmars use .325 X 8.

Muffler modded Dolmar 115i

6.65 sec
6.78 sec
6.94 sec

6.79 sec avg

Stock PS5100s with nearly 3 tanks fuel

6.56 sec
6.69 sec
6.81 sec

6.69 sec avg

Muffler modded PS540

8.03 sec
8.04 sec
7.91 sec

7.99 sec avg

Fully modified Solo 651

6.28 sec
6.28 sec
6.44 sec

6.33 sec avg

The modified 346XP I had would just barely outcut my Solo, for a reference.

Last edited:
Sorry phone call
here is the 5100s ,
It is a sad day in husky land, it wasnot a race , it was not even close to a race the 5100 has alot more torque than the 346.
I will have this saw ported by tomorrow morning to compare with the modded 346 but I was quite surprized at the power the 5100 has.
time was 10.82 seconds. I am going to take one woodsported 5100 and a stock one to the GTG this weekend , the ported one is Jokers and the stock one not sure yet but anybody that comes can try them for themselves

Latest posts

Back