"You Suck" Thread 2016--Pics required!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you could find a second 460 with a good tank, then you could put the two together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 460 case and tank that have been out in the weather for a while and needs a crank and all missing parts. I also have a cylinder from an stripped down 046 that had a bad crankshaft and bearings. I have a nice set of covers I bought at an estate sale. I also have a crankshaft from a ran over 460 and I'm going to put all of them together to get one saw

I'm thinking with it being a franken saw you would be way money ahead to part it out. Just my $0.02 If it has a good screw cap fuel tank handle not broken there are people that pay top dollar for those. Just a thought. Is it a 044 or 460 block? 044 will have a sleeve around the seal on the crank that the clutch tightens down against.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yea I thought about it. But its also fun putting them back together. I'd think having a running saw might fetch more, atleast with the way ebay prices are. It has a flip cap tank and a screw cap engine case. All the parts are there for an 044 minus the top cover. Granted it could use a nicer starter housing probably. It does have the sleeve for the crankshaft. I always go back and forth about just using aftermarket parts but for pro saws I have trouble doing that, feel like they deserve better haha. My 460 rebuild was all OEM minus a meteor piston. However the 290 will be getting all aftermarket, minus oem crankshaft seals.

I rebuilt an 044 so it is worth doing then if all you need is top plastic cover and basic rebuild from there. I did my saw with all OEM parts. No regrets.

Pretty much. I mean, most everything is worn out. Surprisingly the connecting rod/crank bearing seems pretty good still. It will need new crank bearings though. But it was only $40. So putting some money into it isn't that big an issue.

I did a complete overhaul on mine down to bearings except I used a used (used) oem piston and rings. Runs great but compression could have been higher if I had used new rings for sure.

I did a complete overhaul on mine down to bearings except I used a used (used) oem piston and rings. Runs great but compression could have been higher if I had used new rings for sure.

Well I sent the picture of the serial number in to Stihl and it was missing the last digit, or maybe it wasn't stamped very well. But they indicated it was an 044 from production in 1997. Guess I'll get all my PNs together and get it to the dealer and see what the damage is.

I went to the dump yesterday.. Saw a chainsaw sitting on a barrel.. picked it up.
It's a Homelite XL 101, and since it was only in production from 1969 and 1970, i figure it's a bit of a rarity.. it's seized up, but I got it to move again, recoil spring is broken, and the front handle mounting bracket has been changed (it's red not blue, probably from an XL12 or something).. it has NO hours on it, the clutch looks brand new, has a rim drive sprocket, muffler still has chrome on it and no buildup inside, came with a 16" or so bar. I think I can get this thing going again, but I will need to find a flywheel for it, they had evidently tried to get it to turn over and broken some of the fins on it.. For a demo run I'm sure I can use it as-is.. I'll try and snap a pic of it

Here's a couple pics.. It should clean up alright.

Anyone know if the XL1 flywheel and recoil springs are the same? I have one of them, and while it's in nice shape, I think they're really common, I'd be better off salvaging the 101 with the parts
20161115_130454sm.jpg 20161115_130510sm.jpg

And how's this for a stroke of luck, I was at a second hand shop on Tuesday and picked up a brand new semi-chisel chain for a couple bucks.. I think it's just the right length, or maybe a drive link or two too long (better than short!) I don't know what brand the chain is, but each cutter was dipped in reddish wax to keep it sharp and to prevent morons from cutting themselves...

I've had both Wico and Phelon flywheels stacked up from Remington's, Homelites and Lombards stacked up and was hard to tell any difference. Possibly the keyway may be 'clocked' around.

Let me check my pile. I had a slug of Homie XL-101 types at one time. Built six or seven.
d32df5fa8300ca3ea5b0169b63f40bb8.jpg

What were some other similar model numbers?.. They evidently continued on that platform for a while with tweaks here and there. I picked up a Husky 35 last year, I use it regularly, it's been reliable and it's super light.. the XL101 along with the Ford (O&R) would round out my 3 saw plan (for small saws)

Here's a couple pics.. It should clean up alright.

Anyone know if the XL1 flywheel and recoil springs are the same? I have one of them, and while it's in nice shape, I think they're really common, I'd be better off salvaging the 101 with the parts
View attachment 537530 View attachment 537531

And how's this for a stroke of luck, I was at a second hand shop on Tuesday and picked up a brand new semi-chisel chain for a couple bucks.. I think it's just the right length, or maybe a drive link or two too long (better than short!) I don't know what brand the chain is, but each cutter was dipped in reddish wax to keep it sharp and to prevent morons from cutting themselves...
Wax WILNOT prevent Morons cutting themselves and others in area. After cutting themselves excitement causes them to hang onto sharp object while slinging around as ded cat.

Picked up a craftsman/roper 3.7 today for ten bucks. Put fresh mix in and It fired right up.
I'm gonna try out some porting and other mods on it. Any suggestions?
Pics coming shortly

Back