Youngest CAD victim - Yes there are pics!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Then we made shelves for all of our projects.

100_0899.jpg

The empty spot on the lower left is for Digger's future projects and saws.

100_0900.jpg

Yes, they are made out of old pallets. A local lumber yard gives them away and they make pretty good shelves. Money (as always) is an issue and if we can scrounge something for free we do. No waste around here. The cut off pieces will be used for kindling and the surplus are used to stack wood on and keep it off the ground.

Tonight Digger (and little brother Max) had time to work in the basement on the project WT send by tbone75.

100_0902.jpg

Max wanted to help out and offered to hold the screws as we assembled.

100_0903.jpg

Before long, ole Digger had it almost completely together.

100_0904.jpg

He made sure the final assembly was complete. I made him do most of the assembly from the IPL, helping him find the part number, calling it the right name, assembling in correct order, etc. Sometimes he would get ahead of himself and miss a part, then I would refer him back to the IPL. Before long he was checking it as he went, making sure it was all correct as illustrated.

100_0905.jpg

Fully assembled and ready to test run!!

100_0906.jpg

It fired on the third pull and sputtered to life. We didn't have time to tune it, but he had already decided it was going to work just fine. He started referring to it as "that little jewel" and began counting part costs so he could turn a profit.

Special thanks to John King, aka tbone75, who was kind enough to send this saw to Digger for a project. I can tell you John had to gather all of the parts from several saws and that he made sure every single part was there for complete assembly and that they would work together. I don't know how many saws he scavenged to make the one good one, but I know it was at least 3. It came dis-assembled and we had a great time putting it together.

Thanks, John. If Digger weren't in bed already he'd thank you as well.

dd

Oh yeah, almost forgot to mention this...

I was tuning up an 036 while Digger was working on the WT. When he put his WT next to the 036 with the 20" bar he paused for a minute. He said, "That's what I need." I told him not to worry, the 18" bar on the WT was all it would ever need or handle. He said "Bar? I'm talkin' about the SAW! Where do I get one of THOSE?"

That's my boy!:smile2:

Special thanks to John King, aka tbone75, who was kind enough to send this saw to Digger for a project. I can tell you John had to gather all of the parts from several saws and that he made sure every single part was there for complete assembly and that they would work together. I don't know how many saws he scavenged to make the one good one, but I know it was at least 3. It came dis-assembled and we had a great time putting it together.

Thanks, John. If Digger weren't in bed already he'd thank you as well.

dd

At least 3 maybe 4 ? LOL It sure looks good now!

I haven't been on the site in a week or two and I like the progress on everything! Those pallets look like great shelves!! I might have to steal that idea! And dad, I think your son's saw collection is gonna pass yours up in no time. Well, I hope you guys had I good new year. HAPPY CUTTING, BIG MIKE. And p.s. I got those same wrenches a while back. I have been very happy with them:msp_thumbup: so far!

More work tonight. When we made the test run and got ready to tune we found it wasn't oiling. Digger had been a little reluctant to take a clutch off and get back in there but he decided tonight was the night. When we got to the oiler Digger decided it was bad.

100_0914.jpg

He wasn't sure WHY it was bad. We went over all of the little stuff, clean filter, good oil, etc. Then I showed him what to look for on the oiler gear. He could see it pretty quickly, how about you?

100_0915.jpg

We broke into my Poulan bin and found a suitable replacement. He put it back on in short order. Didn't even wait for me to tell him. After he saw it spun and had good teeth he took off.

100_0916.jpg

He re-assembled the clutch (with a little help, but not much - I mostly held the saw steady) and was able to remember the correct order from the IPL without looking it up. I asked if he was sure, he said he knew what he was doing. He doesn't lack self-confidence!

100_0917.jpg

Next was putting the covers back on. I've started to show him how it's important to keep all the parts from one saw in one place, not just laid out on the bench. That's what the little yellow tub is for.

100_0918.jpg

Little brother Max was along, too. It was boys' night in because the girls are at my SIL's place - she just had twins. We've had a good night so far: corn dogs and fudge coated graham cookies for dinner, washed down with Mt. Dew.

100_0919.jpg

And......the finished product that was originally a box of parts from tbone75:

100_0922.jpg

It starts good, runs good, oils and idles as it should. Chain brake works and the chain is sharp.

Let's see....money invested:

tbone (John) is out for the entire saw, plus boxing it up, plus postage, say $50.

I am out the cost of the fuel line, primer bulb, carb kit, used b/c, oiler, gas and oil, blah, blah, blah, say $30

Digger will most likely sell the saw to one of his Grand-fathers (at a remarkable profit).

I get the immense satisfaction of spending real quality time with Digger and Max. Looks like I win all the way around!!

Thanks again to John!

And......the finished product that was originally a box of parts from tbone75:

100_0922.jpg

It starts good, runs good, oils and idles as it should. Chain brake works and the chain is sharp.

Let's see....money invested:

tbone (John) is out for the entire saw, plus boxing it up, plus postage, say $50.

I am out the cost of the fuel line, primer bulb, carb kit, used b/c, oiler, gas and oil, blah, blah, blah, say $30

Digger will most likely sell the saw to one of his Grand-fathers (at a remarkable profit).

I get the immense satisfaction of spending real quality time with Digger and Max. Looks like I win all the way around!!

Thanks again to John!

Looks very good from that mess I sent! LOL Great job Digger! I think Dad had a lot fun too! :laugh:

Marc I am sorry I missed this thread, it is a great thread and I am very happy to see how it all came together. Good on you for having Digger with you working on saws.:rock:

Marc I am sorry I missed this thread, it is a great thread and I am very happy to see how it all came together. Good on you for having Digger with you working on saws.:rock:

I thought you knew about it! The story sort of took off on its own there for a little bit and somehow my 9 year old got started on his own saw collection before I knew what was going on! I think it was Chainsaw Mike that really got it started on here. I was also told the other day that Roger, the shop owner who gave Digger his first saw, has his "Thank You" card from Digger proudly displayed at the front of the store. I had no idea that a little father-son time would get so involved!

I thought you knew about it! The story sort of took off on its own there for a little bit and somehow my 9 year old got started on his own saw collection before I knew what was going on! I think it was Chainsaw Mike that really got it started on here. I was also told the other day that Roger, the shop owner who gave Digger his first saw, has his "Thank You" card from Digger proudly displayed at the front of the store. I had no idea that a little father-son time would get so involved!

I knew that you and Digger were working on saws and John had sent some things down to you. I think it's great, you get some good father-son time with him as well as teach him how to make a living at something he enjoys if he wants to. Not a lot of parents teaching their kids things like that anymore.

I knew that you and Digger were working on saws and John had sent some things down to you. I think it's great, you get some good father-son time with him as well as teach him how to make a living at something he enjoys if he wants to. Not a lot of parents teaching their kids things like that anymore.

Thanks, Jim!

I'm not too sure about making a living at it, so far all I've done is SPEND money to feed my habit!

Good morning Digger, and dad been awhile. Hope all is well:msp_thumbsup:

All is very well on the little farm this morning, thanks! My wife and daughters are out of town so the boys and I stayed up too late, ate the wrong food and were just generally bachelors last night.

The boys wanted to sleep in their Mom's spot in the bed so I didn't get as much sleep as I would have liked, but no complaints. They're still sleeping off the junk-food hangover from last night.

Thanks, Jim!

I'm not too sure about making a living at it, so far all I've done is SPEND money to feed my habit!

It's one of those things that even though you boys are just having fun right now, someday one of your boys may need a job and those skill sets might come in handy. It's a great thing. In today's world there are not enough tradesmen left out there and there will come a time when they are in high demand, in fact it is already happening. We've had a couple of generations that have been pushed so hard into college that we've lost a lot carpenters, HVAC people and even decent car mechanics. Lot of folks out there with Masters' degrees that are jobless, a guy who can turn a wrench right now won't be without work long. I love seeing somebody teaching kids to work with their hands, it's an admirable thing to do.

It's one of those things that even though you boys are just having fun right now, someday one of your boys may need a job and those skill sets might come in handy. It's a great thing. In today's world there are not enough tradesmen left out there and there will come a time when they are in high demand, in fact it is already happening. We've had a couple of generations that have been pushed so hard into college that we've lost a lot carpenters, HVAC people and even decent car mechanics. Lot of folks out there with Masters' degrees that are jobless, a guy who can turn a wrench right now won't be without work long. I love seeing somebody teaching kids to work with their hands, it's an admirable thing to do.

Thanks! That's VERY true about tradesmen. I call it the "no-watch" generation. It's just my opinion, but never trust a guy who doesn't wear a watch. He spends WAY too much time on his phone or "I"thingie and doesn't have time to carry or look at a watch. Chances are he doesn't know what real work and commitment mean.

That's why you're in such high demand in your career field and why I was paid well in the private sector as a repairman. I took the time to know my business and could solve problems. I wasn't the guy that called others for advice, they called me (and still do sometimes). I'm afraid we have a generation of educated idiots coming up. I'll get off of my soapbox now......

Back