Youngest CAD victim - Yes there are pics!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you have a air compressor? You can blow air into the carb, and it will help pull fuel up the line. Just a thought.

You mean blow into the throat of the carb? I'm guessing that creates a vacuum in the crankcase and pulls the fuel up? I didn't know that!! MAN that would have been handy to know before I blew my elbow out!!

Good job so far!! If you need reeds, I have a few more parts saws. Just let me know! HAPPY CUTTING, BIG MIKE!

It's been a while since I've been in one, but if memory serves you can just carefully adjust the reed valve in it and get it back to true so it won't let fuel back by it. The only thing we were missing was a bar tensioner. None of the saws had one. Fortunately tbone75 had sent me an extra for another project and it was no problem. We ordered a couple off of feebay for the others. That is actually a good thing because he's keeping up with money invested to determine if he can make a profit. That's why he didn't want to put a kit in the carb!!

Awesome.

I love what you guys are doing. Christian is 5 and he's interested in what I'm doing and learning. He helps me from time to time when he has enough patience :D.

207993d1321837498-2011-11-20_16-38-08_323-jpg

When are you going to get him a man sized saw to work on? That little thing is what loggers use to cut their fingernails!

We didn't do much saw work today but did split some wood for the stove. Digger's little ax wasn't quite getting the job done so he switched to the "sledge and wedge" method. When we walked over to the piece he was going to split he said "Did you see that?" I asked what he was talking about. He said "That wood just moved a little when I got close...it must know what's coming and be scared of me!"

Some of my bravado may have rubbed off on him.

100_0860.jpg

He's wearing his new insulated overalls. It's 53 degrees out but he won't take them off.

100_0863.jpg

I'll give credit where it's due, the little man swings a mean 3 pound hammer!

We did some saw work today, starting with checking out Digger's new tools.

100_0874.jpg

100_0875.jpg

Then we started cleaning up the Wild Thing tbone75 sent.

100_0877.jpg

Using proper safety gear, of course:

100_0876.jpg

After we did the cleaning we began assembly. There was one small scratch in the cylinder on the exhaust side, but we smoothed everything up and I think it will be fine.

100_0880.jpg

While we waited on the 3 bond to set up, Digger wanted to ditch the safety chain on his Homelite 330 and put on the "Danger" chain. I told him not to use that term around his mom.

100_0878.jpg

Then it was time for lunch and we ported and modded a Ham sammich with high-octane Dr. Pepper and Doritos.

By 16, he should be able to make a good down payment on a car from all the saws he will have fixed and modded :p

Nice startup on the tools!

......I am a family practice doctor, so I don't use those skills directly in my job unless something is broken at the office :), but I use them all the time at home. My wife appreciates me being handy......

When I was younger , I played doctor but got no encouragement from my dad when he found out , just a lecture and log lasting grounding :( . Now that I'm married and older , I don't get to practice those skills as often as I'd like , I just get to work on junk and play with chainsaws .

... Now if I could just get one of them interested in being a dentist or doctor ....

Great thread , I don't know how I missed it .
Send digger back to the saw store with the saw and see what the next project that he can get from the owner .

Last edited:
We didn't do much saw work today but did split some wood for the stove. Digger's little ax wasn't quite getting the job done so he switched to the "sledge and wedge" method. When we walked over to the piece he was going to split he said "Did you see that?" I asked what he was talking about. He said "That wood just moved a little when I got close...it must know what's coming and be scared of me!"

Some of my bravado may have rubbed off on him.

100_0860.jpg

He's wearing his new insulated overalls. It's 53 degrees out but he won't take them off.

100_0863.jpg

I'll give credit where it's due, the little man swings a mean 3 pound hammer!
That's just how I started! 1955.

Thanks for everyone's comments. I had no idea this thread would start such response. I didn't do a lot like this with my dad when I was young and guess I just didn't know how important it was. Don't get me wrong, I love my dad dearly and think the world of him to boot. He was busy running a business and making ends meet in tough times for us and we never went without food or clothes, we just didn't really do a lot of father / son stuff. I am blessed to have the time do do this with my family and thankful for all of you showing me just how important this is.

Thanks again to all.

Hopefully he'll learn alot about life from saws... I know I sure did. Keep up the good work digger!!

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

Yep Jacob, it is a finer side of life for sure. Good trade, good hobby, good money maker, good friend's come with good saw's as well!

Lookin' good on both saws! And I like the tool kit too. And Digger, thanks for the card! I haven't had time to say thanks because of Christmas and all. I didn't get any saw related stuff, but did get some "things that go bang" as a gift from me to me!!:smile2: Anyhow, just sayin that those saws are looking great! HAPPY CUTTING, BIG MIKE

Marc,
What a great experience this thread is for all of us following along on Mason's progress with CAD. I hope he continues wanting to tinker with these nasty old saws.

p.s. Mason,
"Danger Chain" is better chain..........LOL!!!! Just don't tell Momma.

It's been a busy week here and we have had very little time to work on saws. I did manage to pick up some wrenches to add to Digger's tool box and we assembled two clam shell saws on Wednesday; his WT and an 021 for me. As I went through the process of explaining the importance of everything being clean and mating well, etc, the little man got bored. I told him if he didn't pay attention his work might not pass the vacuum test. He was not impressed.

So, yesterday we went out to check on our work and see if the 3 Bond had done its job. Again, Mason was not particularly concerned about his WT sealing up; he was more interested in watching the vacuum gauge rise while it pulled vacuum on his finger. We hooked up the WT and it initially held a vacuum. I told him how to turn the cylinder to check the vacuum all the way through the cycle and the importance of doing that each time you check one, blah, blah, blah.

His WT passed with flying colors; held vacuum all the way through without a problem. Couldn't have been better. I was pleased.

My 021 failed. Spectacularly. Embarrassingly. I got out the soap and water and started checking everything, it was leaking badly around the mating surfaces of the clam shell. Digger stuck his head over my shoulder and said "Looks like you didn't get it clean before you put it together. Did you clean it? Remember how you said to cle..." He stopped talking when he saw my face muscles tighten and that vein pop out of my neck...

Marc,
What a great experience this thread is for all of us following along on Mason's progress with CAD. I hope he continues wanting to tinker with these nasty old saws.

p.s. Mason,
"Danger Chain" is better chain..........LOL!!!! Just don't tell Momma.

I want to take a minute and thank Jon1212, who was gracious enough to offer and send Digger another saw. Jonathon added a new dimension to the whole experience by sending Mason the tracking number so we can check the progress of the saw as it makes its way here. In addition, Jonathon called the house and we visited for quite a while, which gave me the opportunity to let Mason make a personal connection with his benefactor. He and Mason spoke for a few minutes and afterward I was peppered with questions about where is Sacramento? What is UPS? How do we know Jonathon?

My reply was "We didn't know him until a few moments ago, son. That's one of the great things about this addiction and the people who have it."

Latest posts

Back