Your choice?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarineScott

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I own Stihl products and was told to use 93 octane in my machines. What gas would you consider using, 87 octane non-ethanol or 93 octane E10. Just thinking.

Around here they sell 91 95 e10 98 100 ... I think 98 is probably an overkill so 95 which they call premium unleaded seems like best for outdoor machine to me

RedMax and Dolmar spec 89 octane for my saws, so it's 89 e-10. What's available.

I will not run ethanol in anything other than a car/truck. I run 91 non-ethanol in all my small engine toys like chainsaws, dirt bikes, lawnmower, snow blower. It probably isn't needed in the lawnmower and snow blower but I find 91 stores a lot better/longer than anything with ethanol in it.

We need to be careful when discussing the octane of fuel with our members in different parts of the world. Not all countries use the same method of octane labeling as we do and it can become confusing for those who dont understand that.

Australia: "regular" unleaded fuel is 91 RON, "premium" unleaded with 95 RON is widely available, and 98 RON fuel is also reasonably common. Shell used to sell 100 RON petrol (5% ethanol content) from a small number of service stations, most of which are located in major cities (stopped in August 2008).[23] United Petroleum sells 100 RON unleaded fuel (10% ethanol content) at a small number of its service stations (originally only two, but it has now expanded to 67 outlets nationwide).[24][25] All fuel in Australia is unleaded except for some aviation fuels.

This is from the wiki

Here in the USA we use the PON which is the RON + MON / 2. Overseas I see a lot just going by the RON which most often will be higher but the same grade.

Latest posts

Back