Your choice?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could remove the alcohol.

Removing the ethanol is a bad idea... even though the internet is full of "home methods" for doing so.

Removing 10% ethanol removes approximately 3-4 octane points, changes volatility properties, and those home methods have potential to remove other "desirable" chemicals (including octane modifiers). There ain't no way of actually "knowing" what the end product is, heck you can't even be positive all the ethanol was removed. Even the "best case" ain't all that good if you think about it... the "best" you can hope for is an ethanol-free gasoline 3-4 octane points lower than what you started with, yet still containing an additive package designed for ethanol-blended fuel. Ethanol-blended gasoline is the most heavily "doped" pump gas... it contains more anti-oxidants (stabilizers) and chemical modifiers than any other.

Compared to gasoline, ethanol is a horrible motor fuel; a higher cost, lower energy, higher octane, hotter burning, moisture absorbing fuel that contains zero lubricating properties and promotes corrosion/deterioration of many alloys, rubbers and synthetics... it can even act as a solvent, washing away the natural lubricating properties of gasoline. Using ethanol-blended gasoline in small engines, especially small two-cycle engines, is like playing Russian Roulette... playing the game long enough causes everyone to eventually lose. It costs the American consumer unnecessary millions every year... it's a joke without a punchline... a scam that pales all others. Heck, it ain't even "green"; in some ways it's worse for the environment and human health than gasoline.

News flash.... "renewable" and "green" ain't the same thing.
But "renewable" and "green" do have one thing in common... both will cause you to dig deeper in the wallet... a lot deeper, even if you don't use the products.

To the OP...
The choice between 87 octane ethanol-free and 93 octane E-10 puts you between a rock and a hard place. The use of 87 octane puts you right on the edge of being too low, it provides no cushion if conditions promote pre-ignition and/or detonation (another game of Russian Roulette)... and the use of Ethanol-blended gasoline is... well...

Gotta ask, How the hell do you know that? And damnit forgot the flipping gas cans. and sun glasses. and gloves. Remembered the quad and the booze tho.
Well, if you're in New Hampshire and it's an hour trip for you, that makes it a full day for me. Portland is over 6 hours one way. Maybe it's only 12 hours, I fail to see how that makes it worth it.

Not worth it. Just weird/creepy how you knew how far away you where. Was just wondering. There must be more places, as I recall I googled E free gas in nh and nothing came up.

Not worth it. Just weird/creepy how you knew how far away you where. Was just wondering. There must be more places, as I recall I googled E free gas in nh and nothing came up.
Shouldn't be anything creepy. Under your avatar it says you live in NH. I live in northern Aroostook County. I'm a litte more than 6 hours from Portland or any coastal town on a really good day. An hour into Maine from even a town on the border of NH isn't that far into Main. I applied a little math I retained from the first grade and come up with way too far to make it worth the trip.

Back