40 cc class saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

User Name Here

Lowly Firewood Cutter
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm looking at possibly getting a 40 cc class saw. My wife said she wanted me to pick out something fairly nice for my birthday. I was thinking either a small saw or a gun. I've found a gun i want but I'm thinking maybe a saw would work too. I'd like to stay below $350. I was thinking about a stihl 250. I would love to get a 241 or 261 but I'm not wanting to spend that much and i really won't need a pro saw for just limbing which is what this would be used for. I had even thought about the 180 but that will likely not satisfy me. I would entertain opinions of other saws but I'd rather stay away from Husqvarna. I'm definitely a stihl guy though and lean hard to the white and orange. Thanks

I've ran a 250 and was fairly impressed with how well it handled trees less than 12 inches. I'll take a look at the dolmar and see if it tickles my fancy. I think I've got a dolmar dealer fairly close by, he's a small shop out of his garage i think.

The dolmar 421 looks good. Lot of people talking good things about them. I noticed a lot of folks saying the carb adjustments can be a little more difficult than the stihls. But not anything major.

Kenjax you said free shipping. Where are you getting it from?

Redmax gz4000 is noticeable lighter/smaller than a 421. The 421 should beat it on power, but it almost feels like a 50cc. A few weeks ago you could get a gz4000 on the eBay for $209. Probably still can. One thing worth mentioning, My 4000 ran awful out of the box. It wouldn't even idle. I retuned it and now I love it. They really wake up with a muffler mod.

Another vote for the 420/421! Powerwise in the 241 league, pricewise WAY lower! So easy to start it is almost funny! Just check out Brads daughter on youtube starting the 420.

The ps 421 is looking like a real good option. I appreciate the other recommendations, but I don't think I'd be happy with the redmax. I'm not a big fan of husky equipment, even though i know some of their stuff is good. Just not a fan. It seems almost blasphemous that I'm even contemplating going anything but stihl. I'm looking for something to replace my 028 and would like to have real close to the same hp with a little weight savings. I like my 028 but it's just a tad heavy and doesn't have a chain break. It doesn't worry me too much about the chain break, but I'd like to have one as this will be the saw that i might allow others to run. My 440 and 461 are kinda my babies

Another vote for the 420/421! Powerwise in the 241 league, pricewise WAY lower! So easy to start it is almost funny! Just check out Brads daughter on youtube starting the 420.

I would love to get a 241 but that price is just too much for an occasional use limbing and trimming saw.

I like the MS250. I've owned several of them. For what you describe it seems like a good fit. I know a member who has
a nice 025. Same saw in an earlier generation with a few small differences. i'm really not that far from
you. Been to Sparta many times. It's beautiful there!

I'm certainly not discounting the 250 - like I said, I've ran one a fair amount doing TSI work and it performed very well. I am just keeping an open mind. And you are right, Sparta is beautiful - great place to be

Here is another vote for the Dolmar 421.
My wife, and I, love the one we got for her.
Super limbing saw and... It will eat right through a 14" green hickory.
David

Latest posts

Back