40 cc class saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My MS250 is my first Stihl and it has left me very unimpressed. After being run hard for 5 or 6 minutes cutting 4" to 8" limbs into firewood, the idle gets erratic but it does keep running. If I shut it down after this erratic idle sets in, it can't be restarted until it cools down. I think the problem is vapor lock. I have an old 42cc Craftsman/Poulan that keeps on chugging and restarts when hot. I prefer it over the Stihl.

The 40cc class saws are the handiest and most versatile IMHO. I may take a look at the Dolmar 421 as there is a local dealer.

I like the MS250. I've owned several of them. For what you describe it seems like a good fit. I know a member who has
a nice 025. Same saw in an earlier generation with a few small differences. i'm really not that far from
you. Been to Sparta many times. It's beautiful there!

The only good that really can be said about the MS250 is that (the standard version) is lighter than some of the competiition (and the 50cc saws), and it has decent power for a 45cc "homeowner" saw.

by now the modeøl has been replaced by the MS251, but I assume you still could find one?

I would love to get a 241 but that price is just too much for an occasional use limbing and trimming saw.
I have a 420 and looking at masterminds comparison of 40cc saws, I don't want a 241! What for? Show off factor? I'm too old to swallow the advertisement!
Powerwise almost equal, weight almost equal after "accidently" loosing the cat insert. That's not enough for me to warrent the 2 & 1/2X price difference!
And I have no problem whatsoever going to a store and simply putting the money on the table! For me I prefer the money in my pocket!

The only good that really can be said about the MS250 is that (the standard version) is lighter than some of the competiition (and the 50cc saws), and it has decent power for a 45cc "homeowner" saw.

by now the modeøl has been replaced by the MS251, but I assume you still could find one?
Yeah my local dealer has at least 2 - they were on the shelf friday. However I want to hold a D 421 if I can find one. I might even risk just ordering one if I can't

I had a Dolmar 420 and it was a great little saw but too close to a 50cc in size and weight. That is why I kept the little Redmax.

Well guys, I went by my local dolmar dealer during lunch. He's just a little shop building beside his house. He had a brand new 420 on the shelf and a 421 in the box on the floor. I fondled the 420 and asked a few questions but he seemed a little preoccupied and didn't offer up much info other than "everyone is switching to dolmar...". His price was $350.XX for the 420, and he said the same for the 421. I asked what the differences were between the two and he didn't know of any apparently. Which from what I've gathered there is a very slight few differences. Obviously, I can order on off the interweb for cheaper and probably get out of paying tax on it as well. The 420 seemed to be a well put together saw, with only two obvious items that I'm not fond of. One being the anti-cut chain (what locals here call the crappy anti kick-backs) and the primer bulb. Its no big deal I just always had the mindset, if it has a primer bulb it's not much of a saw.... The chain of course has already been addressed and noted that I would need a better chain. I did like the feel of it but for the price he was asking I would go to the stihl dealer and buy a 250. I have taken all the comments and recommendations of how good of a saw this is and am seriously debating getting one.

From reading your comments I suspect that you will not be happy with your purchase unless it is a Stihl. Why not just get one?

421 is the new version of the 420 => 2.7hp vs. 3hp, different airfilter, minor engine improvements, that's all I'm aware of.
I always find the discussion funny about "safety / anti kickback" chain. There has never been anything wrong with mine that not 2-3 swips with a file could solve! So I have the impression that very few even know how to sharpen a chain.
And the weight discussion is truely riddiculous if one excludes the cat insert.

But then getting a 251 is also always an option and both will serve you well with proper care. Personally my choice would be the 420!

Now I really don't want to give that impression, I'm trying to widen my horizons as well as get the best saw for money. I have even looked a little at, dare I say it, jonsereds. When comparing the two saws (the 421 vs stihl 250) there are 4 things i'm comparing. Weight, which by the specs the Stihl wins out slightly - .7 lbs, the power - Stihl wins slightly again by .1hp, and build design which I believe goes to the Dolmar since (if I'm correct, is not a clamshell design), and price which dolmar wins. For me .7 lbs would hardly be noticeable, and .1 hp is not even measureable in the hands, durability is very important as well as price. So right now I'm leaning hard towards the Dolmar. I have a little more thinking to do, hell I may even consider getting a redmax. But I believe the stihl and dolmar both would likely have higher resale value than the redmax. The main thing I am looking at, is which would be the best replacement for my Stihl 028 which, as long as I like the new saw, will be up for sale within about a month or so.

421 is the new version of the 420 => 2.7hp vs. 3hp, different airfilter, minor engine improvements, that's all I'm aware of.
I always find the discussion funny about "safety / anti kickback" chain. There has never been anything wrong with mine that not 2-3 swips with a file could solve! So I have the impression that very few even know how to sharpen a chain.
And the weight discussion is truely riddiculous if one excludes the cat insert.

But then getting a 251 is also always an option and both will serve you well with proper care. Personally my choice would be the 420!

I agree - safety chain is only a few file strokes away from being fine! You would rather have the 420 over the 421?

Well guys, I went by my local dolmar dealer during lunch. He's just a little shop building beside his house. He had a brand new 420 on the shelf and a 421 in the box on the floor. I fondled the 420 and asked a few questions but he seemed a little preoccupied and didn't offer up much info other than "everyone is switching to dolmar...". His price was $350.XX for the 420, and he said the same for the 421. I asked what the differences were between the two and he didn't know of any apparently. Which from what I've gathered there is a very slight few differences. Obviously, I can order on off the interweb for cheaper and probably get out of paying tax on it as well. The 420 seemed to be a well put together saw, with only two obvious items that I'm not fond of. One being the anti-cut chain (what locals here call the crappy anti kick-backs) and the primer bulb. Its no big deal I just always had the mindset, if it has a primer bulb it's not much of a saw.... The chain of course has already been addressed and noted that I would need a better chain. I did like the feel of it but for the price he was asking I would go to the stihl dealer and buy a 250. I have taken all the comments and recommendations of how good of a saw this is and am seriously debating getting one.

:popcorn:

All good saws. We had very good experience with the MS250's - ran them much harder than a homeowner saw, and they are very popular, so well supported. Good feedback on the Dolmar 420 saws too, and it sounds like you have a dealer nearby, which is sometimes an issue with some saws.

If you are open minded, pick up an ECHO CS400 with a 16" bar at a dealer (HD sells it for the same $300 price with an 18" bar, but it does not balance as well). I like the way it felt in my hands and bought one as as a lighter/limbing saw (but don't tell SawTroll).

Philbert

PS - spend the extra $50 on chaps, or a few extra chains, wedges, files, etc.

Yes the echo cs400 is a very good saw too.
As far as the resale value the dolmar would have the better resale value.the redmax more than the ms250.
The gz series has an aluminium crankcase that is vertically split and not a clamshell.

and the primer bulb. Its no big deal I just always had the mindset, if it has a primer bulb it's not much of a saw....
I personally like the primer bulb. As you probably already know it removes air from the carb and fuel line making cold starts and restarts after refueling easier.
FWIW the 562 Husky's have a primer bulb and that is a $700+ saw.

I personally like the primer bulb. As you probably already know it removes air from the carb and fuel line making cold starts and restarts after refueling easier.
FWIW the 562 Husky's have a primer bulb and that is a $700+ saw.
I've learned that is not necessarily a bad thing - especially on todays saws.

Now I really don't want to give that impression, I'm trying to widen my horizons as well as get the best saw for money. I have even looked a little at, dare I say it, jonsereds. When comparing the two saws (the 421 vs stihl 250) there are 4 things i'm comparing. Weight, which by the specs the Stihl wins out slightly - .7 lbs, the power - Stihl wins slightly again by .1hp, and build design which I believe goes to the Dolmar since (if I'm correct, is not a clamshell design), and price which dolmar wins. For me .7 lbs would hardly be noticeable, and .1 hp is not even measureable in the hands, durability is very important as well as price. So right now I'm leaning hard towards the Dolmar. I have a little more thinking to do, hell I may even consider getting a redmax. But I believe the 1.stihl and dolmar both would likely have higher resale value than the redmax. The main thing I am looking at, is which would be 2.the best replacement for my Stihl 028 which, as long as I like the new saw, will be up for sale within about a month or so.
That is the problem I see here is that you will be disappointed whatever you buy!

1. Only brand with resale value is Stihl. All else you can forget! That simply has to do with the fact that Stihl has had the best marketing for ages! Husqvarna ranks at a far off second and the rest are worthless!

2. Best replacement for a 50cc saw is a 50cc saw! A 42 or 45cc saw will never be in the same class, irrespective how good it is! If you want a 40cc clas saw the best buys out there would be the Dolmar & Echo! If you want a good saws in the 50cc class on a budget look at the dolmar 5105, husqvarna 545 (and the jonsered equivalent), echo's, etc. Simply put with the lesser known brands you can get a pro saw for the price of a top player. What you don't get is resale value, prestige, etc.

Personally I find the 40 & 60cc combo the ideal package for a firewooder. Most trees can be taken care of with that duo.

What would I do in your situation? I would sell the 028 & 440 and get a good 60 cc saw = Husqvarna 562(or jonsered equivalent) or a Stihl 362.

I agree - safety chain is only a few file strokes away from being fine! You would rather have the 420 over the 421?
No. I would take the 0.3hp improvement for the same price.

Good luck!

That is the problem I see here is that you will be disappointed whatever you buy!

1. Only brand with resale value is Stihl. All else you can forget! That simply has to do with the fact that Stihl has had the best marketing for ages! Husqvarna ranks at a far off second and the rest are worthless!

2. Best replacement for a 50cc saw is a 50cc saw! A 42 or 45cc saw will never be in the same class, irrespective how good it is! If you want a 40cc clas saw the best buys out there would be the Dolmar & Echo! If you want a good saws in the 50cc class on a budget look at the dolmar 5105, husqvarna 545 (and the jonsered equivalent), echo's, etc. Simply put with the lesser known brands you can get a pro saw for the price of a top player. What you don't get is resale value, prestige, etc.

Personally I find the 40 & 60cc combo the ideal package for a firewooder. Most trees can be taken care of with that duo.

What would I do in your situation? I would sell the 028 & 440 and get a good 60 cc saw = Husqvarna 562(or jonsered equivalent) or a Stihl 362.

No. I would take the 0.3hp improvement for the same price.

Good luck!

I understand what you're trying to say I believe. However, I disagree to an extent. The resale value of each brand doesn't play into my decision too much because if the saw is a good saw, I'll keep it anyway. Replacing a 50cc saw with a 50cc saw makes sense when talking of newer saws. But, I can't believe that one of these choices wouldn't be what I'm looking for in a replacement for my 028. It is one of the older metal tank - no chain brake models. I doubt it has much more hp than the 421 or 250 and certainly weighs more, but I may be wrong about this. Also, I believe most would agree that I would be a fool to sell my 440 to buy a 362 or other 60cc. I use a 362 at work, and while they are fine saws, they will not hold a candle to my 440 and weigh very close to the same. I'm not expecting a 40cc saw to do the work of a 50cc, I'm looking to replace an older 028 to serve as a limbing saw, which I'm sure any of the choices mentioned would perform at that level.

How much power an 028 has will of course depend on which version it is. They came with engines of 43 (just some very early ones), 47 and 51.4cc.

SawTroll, I found some of the different specs that alluded to what you said. I'm thinking that mine would be a 47cc. I haven't found anywhere though that told of the hp rating for it.

Latest posts

Back