40 cc class saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My comments were only trying to be more precise about your questions.

Your search for a limbing saw is in the right direction.

The specs that I know of for the 028 are 43cc - ?hp - 5.?kg, 46,8cc - 3,0hp - 5.6kg and 51,5cc - 3,4hp - 5.8kg. Which one you have i have no idea.

See post #39. ;)

I bought my 421 for $299 a year or so back. Have been nothing but thoroughly impressed. Now I have not run an 346XP, 260, or 5105 to compare it to, but it really seems very stout for it's size. Lots of grunt not just top end. I hear a lot of complaints that it is too heavy for it's size, but seems much lighter than what people are reading on paper. Was wanting to eventually replace my 52cc 115i with a 5105, but now see no need to after I remove the cat and get the carb tuneable on the 421. I cant take my hands off it for anything under 10 inches or so. Other "homeowner" saws I have used in the same price range are not even in the same league.

Personally, I'm a huge Stihl fan, but when it comes to 40cc class, I'd go with something else.

I'm a big fan of my little Ryobi's, which are a (copy?) of the GZ400 with a Zenoah top end to boot! I do like the Dolly and have thought of getting one, however, I've not handled one. I think you're on the right track with the Redmax or Dolly.

For what it's worth, my Ryobi has strato engine with no cat and seems to have a decent edge on my buddies Earthquakes (38 and 41cc).
Yeah, the strato engined GZ4000/400 beats the G3800 handily.

Yeah, the strato engined GZ4000/400 beats the G3800 handily.

I stumbled onto another strength of the GZ4000 a couple of days back- noodling. I'd accumulated a pile of odd & ugly white ash chunks, and wanted to run the saw dry, so WTH. No matter how I inclined the bar relative to the wood grain, it just spit different-length chips. Only way to clog things was to let the chips pile up to the drive sprocket. Serious stream of chips.

Not that I needed more reasons to like that saw.

Dolmar 421 is a pro quality saw with a magnesium crankcase and its $329 with a free case and free shipping. I love mine and so does everyone else thats owns one. Its a much better saw than the MS250 and 180.
Is this an e-bay deal? I might buy one at that price. I've been looking for a while now.

I too am debating on the Redmax and the Dolmar. I don't think I'd be hesitant on the redmax but it looks like they are going to stop making them. Sounds like it would be a little screamer.

I stumbled onto another strength of the GZ4000 a couple of days back- noodling. I'd accumulated a pile of odd & ugly white ash chunks, and wanted to run the saw dry, so WTH. No matter how I inclined the bar relative to the wood grain, it just spit different-length chips. Only way to clog things was to let the chips pile up to the drive sprocket. Serious stream of chips.

Not that I needed more reasons to like that saw.
Surprisingly I use both the GZ4000 & clones, as well as the Earthquake G3800 clone to noodle. Really the Earthquake most, as I added a smooth bumper that fits instead of spikes. The clutch covers are similar.

The small stove upstairs takes wood up to 14", and I end up with a lot of crotches that length after bucking. The Earthquake with a 16" bar works great for noodling them.
CS3816Bumper.jpg

I too am debating on the Redmax and the Dolmar. I don't think I'd be hesitant on the redmax but it looks like they are going to stop making them. Sounds like it would be a little screamer.

Both the Dolmar & the RedMax are powerful little screamers. The only concern I'd have is the ability to make normal carb adjustments. Dolmar 421 likely needs a "double-d" adjustment tool. Somehow or other, the RedMax has a locking mechanism for the screws; fortunately a dealer "wizard" seems to have left them adjustable. Two separate dealer "wizards" adjusted high speed mixture pig rich, so it's no help that they'll make regular (seasonal?) adjustments. DIY is much preferable there. (The tach thing fails miserably with the GZ4000.)

With the RedMax, check the fuel filter in the tank regularly. Mine fell off, letting debris get sucked into carb. Another reason to flush out saw fuel tanks regularly. That fuel line is black rubber. Looking for Tygon.

Regardless, either of these saws is way beyond stihl 250/251 on many levels. For the same price.

As far as I know, they are just stopping to sell them "rebadged" as Redmax in the US, Zenoah (which is the real brand name) will continue as before. What I don't know, is if they will sell them as Zenoah in the US, in the future.

You made the right choice with the 421. It is a very nice saw that is very well built. I have had mine about 9 months and it impresses me everytime I use it. One thing not mentioned is it sips gas. I can cut a long time between fill ups. Put a yellow Stihl chain on it and it will cut like an angry beaver :)

Back