Been playing with a MS400C

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. I might still take you up on this offer. I feel an anxiety over not having my ms290 on deck. Not sure if I can hold out or how much longer. :crazy2:
I couldn't imagine parting with any of my saws. Even my old MS360 has its own place in my heart lol She isn't pretty, but is a great saw, considering I pulled it out of a trash pile originally. Currently down, due to needing a genuine oil line.
20210510_164308_copy_1781x1240.jpg

Talked with a dealer this morning, and he is not happy. He pays a certain amount a year for sales and marketing of the Stihl saws, and isn't even getting enough to sell to cover those costs. I'm now on another waiting list. Seems like this chainsaw drought could go on for a good long while.

Talked with a dealer this morning, and he is not happy. He pays a certain amount a year for sales and marketing of the Stihl saws, and isn't even getting enough to sell to cover those costs. I'm now on another waiting list. Seems like this chainsaw drought could go on for a good long while.
Stay strong brother, we will have a 400 in your hands one way or another lol

Done! A bit of a back sliding. The 400 is a bit too close to the 461 in power and weight. Still difficult to find, but today a ms261c-m showed up at Murdocks (6 of them in fact). Only downside, cannot buy just the powerhead, and I have to purchase with a .325 setup. I'll swap it over to a 3/8.

It is mine, and I will be picking it up tomorrow. Swap out the bar and chain if my current rim-sprocket fits, and I am good to go. Then I will see about selling the .325 set up.

Done! A bit of a back slide. The 400 is a bit too close to the 461 in power and weight. Still difficult to find, but today a ms261c-m showed up at Murdocks (6 of them in fact). Only downside, cannot buy just the powerhead, and I have to purchase with a .325 setup. I'll swap it over to a 3/8.

It is mine, and I will be picking it up tomorrow. Swap out the bar and chain if my current rim-sprocket fits, and I am good to go. Then I will see about selling the .325 set up.
Nice. Love my 261

Done! A bit of a back slide. The 400 is a bit too close to the 461 in power and weight. Still difficult to find, but today a ms261c-m showed up at Murdocks (6 of them in fact). Only downside, cannot buy just the powerhead, and I have to purchase with a .325 setup. I'll swap it over to a 3/8.

Love my 261 as well, but it wasn't very happy running a 20" 3/8 with a 7T rim. I took mine back to .325. I've ordered a 20" Sugihara .325 bar for it now. Actually considered going to a 3/8 Picco setup on it.

The rim sprockets from my 360 are too big for the 261. I have a 7T 3/8 rim for the 261. Sending you a pm

Love my 261 as well, but it wasn't very happy running a 20" 3/8 with a 7T rim. I took mine back to .325. I've ordered a 20" Sugihara .325 bar for it now. Actually considered going to a 3/8 Picco setup on it.

It might be the wood. I was running the 3/8 20" B&C on the ms290, and I thought it was great. All softwoods where I am at.

Are you still running the .325 chain setup? Took me a while to find 3/8 rim sprocket for the 261. Lots on Ebay, elsewhere not so much.

Here is the conversion, and is cutting in oak. I'll have the same set up but cutting softwoods and with skip tooth.

I am running the stock .325. I have a 20, 18, and 16” Stihl bar and the 18” is my favorite by far. The 16 is a screamer but feels a little nose lite to me, the 20 does good but feels a little nose heavy. Absolutely love the 18. Probably going to sell the 16 and 20.

Done! A bit of a back sliding. The 400 is a bit too close to the 461 in power and weight. Still difficult to find, but today a ms261c-m showed up at Murdocks (6 of them in fact). Only downside, cannot buy just the powerhead, and I have to purchase with a .325 setup. I'll swap it over to a 3/8.

I think a 261/461 setup would be just about perfect. I can't believe they won't swap the B&C for a 3/8. That's some bull$hit.

Just make sure you get the correct sprocket the 261 has its own spline size on the drum only thing that is a pain in the ass on that saw a standard small splines sprocket does not fit these two sloppy and will Pound the crap out of the PTO bearings

Why 3/8 skip tooth over .325, on a 261? The .325 just suits the 261 so nicely...smooth cutting with the smaller, closer together cutters. I wouldn't want to delimb smaller branches with 3/8 skip.

Did I miss where he said something about skip chain? Personally I agree that there wouldn't be any benefit to running skip tooth chain on that size saw, unless a guy didn't have a big saw, and needed to cut a big poplar, pine, fir, etc on a very occasional basis. I owned a 261 for a few years recently and I ran both full sized 3/8 (not LP) and .325. I tried both combos with the saw stock and ported. Honestly, they're both great, and the saw works well with either. Generally I preferred .325 for limbing and thinning activities, because it's smoother and less grabby; 3/8 has more of a tendency to grab a stick and throw it at you. A 16" 3/8 bar on that saw for bucking firewood was one of my favorite setups for hardwood up to about 16" and softwood up to 18 or 20". The saw, especially ported, would have easily handled bigger wood, but I like to run bigger powerheads once the wood gets bigger just so I get done quicker and spread the wear over more saws.

Did I miss where he said something about skip chain? Personally I agree that there wouldn't be any benefit to running skip tooth chain on that size saw, unless a guy didn't have a big saw, and needed to cut a big poplar, pine, fir, etc on a very occasional basis.
Are you still running the .325 chain setup? Took me a while to find 3/8 rim sprocket for the 261. Lots on Ebay, elsewhere not so much.

Here is the conversion, and is cutting in oak. I'll have the same set up but cutting softwoods and with skip tooth

Back