Been playing with a MS400C

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm pretty impressed with M-Tronic of the newer pro saws. My pro 461 has the regular carb, and it is fine, but the 261s M-Tronic seems to be the answer. I don't have to tune my 461 very often, but with the late 290 I seemed to be regularly making little adjustments. Now the M-Tronic does it for you. And its been around for a good while. Since at least 2014 that I know of.

Were you on a waiting list for the 400, or just lucked into it?
I had gotten on a list locally. It took him 30 days to get the saw, and it was the only saw that was delivered. He has not gotten any pro saws for a while. The same day, a shop three hours east of here got one. On a whim, I called the local shop and the saw had just come in the door. I got my saw and saved myself a long trip.

I took it out to the woodpile yesterday and noodled down some big rounds with it. I LIKE IT! I may order a Jason Eagan Straight Shot muffler cover for it, in lieu of a muffler mod, so that I can replace the original, if I have warranty issues.

Went into our local Cal Ranch and those 2 Stihl 400CM are still there. Reading the price tag... has 25" bar and 33RS3 chain, Price $879.99. If the date generated it shows April 2021. Not sure they would sell fast at this store.
View attachment 909528View attachment 909527
That price is about right. Mine with a 20-inch was listed at $869. The dealer gave me $10 off because he did not have a hat to give me, so it was $859. The tax was a killer, though.:D

I had gotten on a list locally. It took him 30 days to get the saw, and it was the only saw that was delivered. He has not gotten any pro saws for a while. The same day, a shop three hours east of here got one. On a whim, I called the local shop and the saw had just come in the door. I got my saw and saved myself a long trip.

I took it out to the woodpile yesterday and noodled down some big rounds with it. I LIKE IT! I may order a Jason Eagan Straight Shot muffler cover for it, in lieu of a muffler mod, so that I can replace the original, if I have warranty issues.
Those straight shots are sweet. Have one for my 462.

462_1024x1024@2x.png

Loud as all hell. Likely where the M-Tronics really shows its stuff. Retunes and compensate
I have seen comparisons on Jason's facebook page and there is a good gain over a stock muffler cover. He has actually run some of the comparisons on a dynomometer. I would, however, like to know the gain vs a simple muffler mod. I don't think that it would be too much. One thing that is good about the Straight Shot, is that it has a spark arrestor in it, where my mms do not. Another good thing about it, is that you can put it on a saw that is still under warranty and switch it back to stock, if a warranty problem arrises.

Loud as all hell. Likely where the M-Tronics really shows its stuff. Retunes and compensates for the new muffler.
I really like the the way that saw sounds and performs with that muffler, however with that muffler blowing directly on the saw's chassis, I am wondering how long will it take for a chassis structural integrity failure?

I really like the the way that saw sounds and performs with that muffler, however with that muffler blowing directly on the saw's chassis, I am wondering how long will it take for a chassis structural integrity failure?
i have a shataight shot on my G660 that i use on my Logosol mill, had it over a yr now and it is fine

I have straight shots on my 400&500 i no problems cutting firewood 8hrs x5 days a week! We have x2 461s with west coast bark boxs they are great to!

Went into our local Cal Ranch and those 2 Stihl 400CM are still there. Reading the price tag... has 25" bar and 33RS3 chain, Price $879.99. If the date generated it shows April 2021. Not sure they would sell fast at this store.
View attachment 909528View attachment 909527
The current price of chainsaw, which was sold for $800 last year: $1,059.99. omg
Those who want to buy should buy now

Back