Been playing with a MS400C

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Problems with my 400c - will only run on full choke, as soon as i hit throttle she shuts off

took carb off and cleaned it, there was no noticeable dirt/dust

took muffler off to inspect for scaring - nothing i can see that would suggest scarring

replaced spark plug

i do not have a compression kit to test but it feels no different

fuel in non-ethanol 40:1 synthetic mix

any suggestions???

Thank You

I was skeptical about this saw, because it's so close to a 462. After using a 661, my 462, and then down to the 400, the lighter weight was easy to feel. Throttle response is insanely quick, and power doesn't feel to be too far behind the 462 (at least for what we were doing).

Already have a Bark Box and Air Cleaner System from West Coast Saw on the way.

Price was $891 with the 20" Sugihara bar.

View attachment 907195
even nicer ported

Problems with my 400c - will only run on full choke, as soon as i hit throttle she shuts off

took carb off and cleaned it, there was no noticeable dirt/dust

took muffler off to inspect for scaring - nothing i can see that would suggest scarring

replaced spark plug

i do not have a compression kit to test but it feels no different

fuel in non-ethanol 40:1 synthetic mix

any suggestions???

Thank You
Have you done a reset? Only thing I can say to try if you haven't.

Have you done a reset? Only thing I can say to try if you haven't.
Ok
let me back up a little

saw 1st began problem when my son used it and then brought home for me to fix

initial problem was saw would start run then go high rpm and shut off

So i reset the saw as per Stihl guidelines = i did this 5x to no avail

Unless someone has any insight i will pull the head for a complete inspection......
It's likely not internal. Junk in the fuel would be my first look. Siphon the tank dry and look for water first. Then go into the injection for cleaning. It sounds like the hung H circut is delivering too much fuel or not enough down low to rev at idol like that. Lean low and rich on high is sure sign something is a muck. Is there a chance the PTO seal is now cooked?
Purple colored clutch or drum seems to lead to seal issues shortly after being cooked from slipping the clutch.

It's likely not internal. Junk in the fuel would be my first look. Siphon the tank dry and look for water first. Then go into the injection for cleaning. It sounds like the hung H circut is delivering too much fuel or not enough down low to rev at idol like that. Lean low and rich on high is sure sign something is a muck. Is there a chance the PTO seal is now cooked?
Purple colored clutch or drum seems to lead to seal issues shortly after being cooked from slipping the clutch.
Thank you for this and i will check.

i am going to pull the head when the culprit (my son) gets home

Gas was dumped before reset and other

Thank you for this and i will check.

i am going to pull the head when the culprit (my son) gets home

Gas was dumped before reset and other
Check the clutch springs to see if they are still tight. If they are loose dig deeper there. Check the case and jug bolts if you do dig into it more.

Unless someone has any insight i will pull the head for a complete inspection......

Saturday I had some trigger time on a 400. It had nothing for the 56-68cc saws at the GTG but the 400 was pretty fresh and the others were ported. If a 362 had ran like that when it came out it probably would not have gotten the hate it has. I wonder if @dmb2613 has ran one yet?
Dave is the one who told me about how good they ran and I bought one based on his comments.

You need ro remember it's still a basic carb with the addition of the fuel solenoid. Same troubleshooting as a carb saw.
Actually surprised your 590 out runs it. Neighbor has a 620p and my 400 beats it by a fairly large margin.
Sold my 590 and now have a 620p with muff mod.

Have not yet tested against the 400c because..........27 year old kid used the 400c

You need ro remember it's still a basic carb with the addition of the fuel solenoid. Same troubleshooting as a carb saw.
Actually surprised your 590 out runs it. Neighbor has a 620p and my 400 beats it by a fairly large margin.
I cant believe it can out run the 400 sum ting wong.

Latest posts

Back