Been playing with a MS400C

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did I miss where he said something about skip chain? Personally I agree that there wouldn't be any benefit to running skip tooth chain on that size saw, unless a guy didn't have a big saw, and needed to cut a big poplar, pine, fir, etc on a very occasional basis. I owned a 261 for a few years recently and I ran both full sized 3/8 (not LP) and .325. I tried both combos with the saw stock and ported. Honestly, they're both great, and the saw works well with either. Generally I preferred .325 for limbing and thinning activities, because it's smoother and less grabby; 3/8 has more of a tendency to grab a stick and throw it at you. A 16" 3/8 bar on that saw for bucking firewood was one of my favorite setups for hardwood up to about 16" and softwood up to 18 or 20". The saw, especially ported, would have easily handled bigger wood, but I like to run bigger powerheads once the wood gets bigger just so I get done quicker and spread the wear over more saws.

I ran 20" 3/8 skip tooth on my ms290. Grabby? Maybe. I prefer it and don't feel there is any downside.

Got the 261. When I did the online purchase the site did not specify a regular Carb or the M-Tronic. Not sure I cared one way or the other, but having the latest tech is nice I suppose. Well it is the M-Tronic and I was happy to see it came with a rim sprocket. I bought the 7-T 3/8 rim and it is ready to run with my bars and chains. :happybanana:

I bought 2 Stihl 261cm chainsaws. One had 20" 3/8 chain and the other 20" .325 chain. I ran them both and choose the .325 chain for work that was limbing, brush and stuff. I found the same work with the 3/8 chain occasional would be grabbier and if the chain was not tensioned a little tighter it might be thrown.

I liked them both and sold the .325 saw to a neighbor for his light weight work limbing saw. So now I have the one and if I choose to use that chainsaw I have bought a chain and bar in both chain sizes. I just match the setup for what I'm going to be cutting. Super easy and fast to switch out bar, chain and rim sprocket. The 261C is such a versatile saw that fills a need. Nice to have multiple saws to choose for the task at hand.

Congratulations on your new saw!

I ran 20" 3/8 skip tooth on my ms290. Grabby? Maybe. I prefer it and don't feel there is any downside.

Got the 261. When I did the online purchase the site did not specify a regular Carb or the M-Tronic. Not sure I cared one way or the other, but having the latest tech is nice I suppose. Well it is the M-Tronic and I was happy to see it came with a rim sprocket. I bought the 7-T 3/8 rim and it is ready to run with my bars and chains. :happybanana:
I did not know that there is a site online that sells Stihl. Can you post the link?

I have ran the 400, it i a good saw but too close the the 462 , that is a much better saw. Not that much better than the 362 in my opinion. I dont look for it to do well here with the loggers.

I figured it was to close to my 461. Ran the 261 this morning. Only break-in, lots of idle, one small cut, and so far, Wow! I'd do more but the rain has been consistent and at times heavy. Tomorrow I would like to run an entire tank full thru it.

I have ran the 400, it i a good saw but too close the the 462 , that is a much better saw. Not that much better than the 362 in my opinion. I dont look for it to do well here with the loggers.
I thought the same David. With the cutting I do not sure if the 400 is needed with having the 261 and 462. The price on the 400 at my dealer wasn't much less than what he sold ne the 462 for.

I figured it was to close to my 461. Ran the 261 this morning. Only break-in, lots of idle, one small cut, and so far, Wow! I'd do more but the rain has been consistent and at times heavy. Tomorrow I would like to run an entire tank full thru it.
You will be grabbing the 261 more than you think especially after it is broke in. :surprised3: Looking at all the threads on the 261 on various forums 18" .325 seems to be the favorite setup. i would think in the type of woods (soft?) you have in Montana a 20" bar would be no problem. Have fun with it today.:chainsaw:

I'd be curious about an ms400 mostly as a saw to run a 28" bar for ergonomics while still staying as light as possible. Thoughts? It doesn't look like it's rated for anything >25".

I just picked up my 400 yesterday and have not had a chance to run it. I could have bought the 462 sooner, but really did not need another big saw. If this thing runs as good as reports say, I will probably send my 361 and 362 down the road. Gotta thin the herd a bit.

I'm pretty impressed with M-Tronic of the newer pro saws. My pro 461 has the regular carb, and it is fine, but the 261s M-Tronic seems to be the answer. I don't have to tune my 461 very often, but with the late 290 I seemed to be regularly making little adjustments. Now the M-Tronic does it for you. And its been around for a good while. Since at least 2014 that I know of.

Were you on a waiting list for the 400, or just lucked into it?

ms 400 5.4hp ms 462 6hp ms 400 12.8 lbs ms 462 13.2 lbs you can run a 36 in bar on a 462 , 25 on a 400

Does the 462 require an HO oiler to run the longer bar? My 461 was stingy on oil with a 32" B&C til I installed the HO Oiler. Perhaps the 400 could run a longer bar with the simple mod (if available) to the oiler. 5.4 Hp is plenty of power to run at least a 28" B&C.

I recently installed a 18" 3/8 B&C on a ms271, and did the 20" 3/8 B&C on my 261. Both were poopoo'd by the sales people at the shop, saying "Stihl does not recommend...". Yet the sprockets show up on the parts list, so certainly Stihl does not oppose the more aggressive 3/8 vs. .325. Both the 271 and my 261 seemed to thrive with the upgrade.

Basically I dismiss all negatives, until I investigate for myself, and sometimes having to rely on my own (albeit limited) experiences and gut instincts.

Back