Echo 620 or Makita 7300

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks ! I appreciate the input from someone who has run the saw. I use my saws for firewood ,most of what I cut is under 20" diameter. I have a Dolmar 5105 running an 18" bar 3/8 chain ,it's a fine saw . I have a 20" bar for it if needed but haven't used it yet. I am considering the 501 as a replacement for a failed 421 ,mostly to be used for smaller stuff 16" and under and limbing. That's why I would prefer a 16" bar. I held a 501 with an 18" bar at the John Deer dealer and I thought it felt a little nose heavy also.I just wish it ran 3/8 LP chain instead of .325. Thanks Again for your input.

Hi woodbutcher56
You are welcome to my thoughts and limited experience of the 501.
You would be saving 2.3lb in weight over the 5105, is it woth it to you,
especially if you can buy another 5105 cheaper than a 501, and with
the shorter bar, it may not be overly heavy.
Its just you are talking about 20" timber, thats not small,
and if you had two makitas, then you have redundancy,
same bars, chains and sprockets.
Your particular Makita also runs slow yet provides good torque,
and should last because of this.
Not trying to put you off the 501, there is simply nothing wrong them that I
can tell, just thinking aloud here.

Either way, I hope you have good luck with what ever model you settle on.

Regards, john

Greenerpastures
I like the way you think! I messaged my Dolmar dealer today to get a price on a new 5105 with a 16" bar. The John Deer folks want $459 for the 501. Seems a little steep .
I was originally looking at a 6100 but I don't think I would use it that much since the majority of what I cut is under 16". Thanks again for your input.

Greenerpastures
I like the way you think! I messaged my Dolmar dealer today to get a price on a new 5105 with a 16" bar. The John Deer folks want $459 for the 501. Seems a little steep .
I was originally looking at a 6100 but I don't think I would use it that much since the majority of what I cut is under 16". Thanks again for your input.
Hi woodbutcher56
Would a 590 do your job, it is cheaper, and other than I think it has a plastic or at least plastic
coated handle, it will be reliable, which is no 1 in my books, and will cut faster.
You could then keep the Makita for smaller work.
The 501 I got was 630 here, and this is also steep for a 50cc saw, my Shindaiwa 490 was 100 cheaper 8 months ago, although it is a half hp lighter on paper, I don't beleive it is, I think its marketing to get one to buy a larger Shindaiwa.
The Shindaiwa 490 is now the largest Shindaiwa available in Republic of Ireland, larger ones have to be ordered,
so it looks like the Shindaiwa may be costing more to manufacture, hens no big ones stocked,
and the price rise seems to be reflected in the 501 price, and the 620 priced at (760.00).
The 6100 is a fast cutting saw, nice response, and would make short work of a pile of logs,
but depending on the price, a 590 would do the same for probably a lot less.

Maruyama I think its spelt, have a US importer, they are dolmars in disguise, may be google
them and see if they are cheaper.

Just looked up Maruyama US, they have a few models of saw,
google said in one place they were gone from selling saws though,
so may be forget about them, wouldnt want lumbered with no parts.

If Maruyama saws are just rebadged saws from other brands, parts from the original OEM will bolt right on.
May be some things were changed to sort of make the saw look
like the Maruyama brand, but if Maruyana are no longer supporting
them, it maybe a step in the wrong direction to buy one.
If they are indentical and keenly priced that may change the situation.
One would need to see the saw in person to be sure, and if not sure
then I would keep clear.

I just found I can now get a 6100 cheaper than either the 7300 or CS 620,
the 6100 seems to be filling the cc vacancy and the financial vacancy,
but its .325, and I want 3/8.

Regarding parts, I found a dealer in NI that sells Dolmar,
but am not so sure if the 6100 Dolmar and the Makita 6100 are exactly same parts,
given my latest purchase of a Dolmar 7900 muffler,
that I assumed would pop straight on to the Makita 7900,
though will only know when I have it in my hands for comparison and measuring.

Thanks, john

Simple solution to that, just change the sprocket and get a 3/8" bar and chain. That's what I'm running on my 6100.

And yes, whether it has the Makita name on it or the Dolmar, a 6100 is a 6100 just as a 7900 is a 7900.

I bought my 620 a little while ago. I LOVE it. It's so comfortable and runs like a sewing machine. It starts first pull when cold and has torque for days. I'm an echo fanboy and have near perfect service out of everything from a 21.2cc blower to the 620, 355t, a 770t blower and several units in between. Phenomenal stuff.

I'm waiting to get my hands on a CS-8000/CS-800p/800V.

Hi James Miller, 300 saved means a lot, the 590 will be earning her keep in no time.

Have only run one tank through it, even so I find it powerful enough to make me smile, for its size it it real good.
It seems a little lean to me, plug is very light cream, I like it darker, but no heating,
that tank of fuel was 50:1.
I intend to mix up some 45:1 with the Echo power mix,
I have the spark arrestor out now too, will tune and see how it goes.

I have a 16" bar on it instead of the 18" that came with it, I don't need to bend with this saw
so saving on weight and gaining a little more power.
For sure, the 18" caused the balance to be way off, it nose dived when held by the front handle,
which made carrying in one hand too difficult, good Sugihara bar though, as is the shorter one,
quite sure it can handle the 18", I just don't need it.

I have not heard others mention this, so am going to add it just for clarity,
the rim drive on mine is a SMALL 7, and this limits what bars can be used as you need a really narrow tail
on the bar, so the chain clears the back of the bar instead of ploughing into it,
the bar sits really close to the rim which exasperates this.

If this was going to be a persons only saw, I do not think it would perform with a larger rim as it would suck
some power out, it performs very well with the .325 x .58 chain.

I thought about changing to 3/8, but conclude I was expecting too much off a 50cc, hens my reason for now
looking into a slightly bigger saw.

The CS 501 is nice saw, as long as it fits ones needs, you would not be disappointed, its light weight is a huge bonus,
mine weighs 13.8 lbs with its 16" bar & chain, and filled with oil and fuel,
the translucent fuel tank is a nice touch too, whether it remains translucent only time would tell.

Before you spend $ on porting your 590 try muff mod and retune. Just did mine and WOW! But, you will need good hearing protection if you mod the muff the way I did. Dolmar 5105 Parts will swap with the Maruyama MCV 51.

Back