Holzfforma chainsaws any good?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My brother bought one when they first came around. $89 brand new. He brought it over to shoot. Ugliest thing I ever seen and felt like holding a 2×4. I was shooting my Beretta 92. We shot several brands of ammo, mostly cheap stuff. That Hi point never missed a beat and was just as accurate as my Beretta.
I took some on trade on chainsaws. ;) The 9mm I wanted for one reason. Made right down the road from me about 25mins. The other was a .45 and think it or the .40 was made south of me 20mins.

Heck my brother is a high end gun dealer and he said he moves the heck out of the rifles and pistols. Just like anything they have a market for someone out there.

Took a 16ga double on trade once too.

My brother bought one when they first came around. $89 brand new. He brought it over to shoot. Ugliest thing I ever seen and felt like holding a 2×4. I was shooting my Beretta 92. We shot several brands of ammo, mostly cheap stuff. That Hi point never missed a beat and was just as accurate as my Beretta.
My BIL has a Taurus 92 I drool over.

IMG_20231111_130052.jpg
IMG_20231111_130123.jpg
Here's a AliExpress saw different manufacturer than huztl
i got over 6 year's ago
It was like 180+200.00 shipped
I put a 50mm china 372 cylinder kit on it.
I ran it for a few year's and gave it to my niece and her husband
It's got a lot of hours on it
He runs that klotz crap and used motor oil as bar oil.
It's missing the decomp button that's the only issue
I'll plug it
I've never done anything to it just cut with it.

Never shot a taurus version. I've had my Beretta over 30 years. Very reliable pistol.
In the mid 90s
I had a Taurus pt100 afs stainless .40
They were built on Beretta machinery licensed to Taurus
Cocked and locked and double action with a decocker
I'd love to find another one
Very accurate pistol actually shot better than a Beretta 96 .40 i also had.

In the mid 90s
I had a Taurus pt100 afs stainless .40
They were built on Beretta machinery licensed to Taurus
Cocked and locked and double action with a decocker
I'd love to find another one
Very accurate pistol actually shot better than a Beretta 96 .40 i also had.

I have several taurus handguns and am happy with all of them.

So many guys out there milling with these saws. G888 clone of MS880 Gen2 ported. 76" bar he just got in for Christmas.

You take care of your saws of any brand clone oem they take care of you. Parts cost so cheap too so dont matter if need a crank or whatever down the road.

Clones put people in stuff that cost same as a freaking oem plastic saw that cost them more.

This guy has many and been using them over 5 years now too.

View attachment 1141469View attachment 1141470View attachment 1141471View attachment 1141472View attachment 1141473
If only my pecker was that long...........:lol:

On second thought, maybe not. too big to store it anywhere outta sight....

Reminds me a lot of High Point. Super cheap guns, universally reviled by those who have never owned one, but not thought badly of by actual owners.

Not my thing, either way. I carry a Glock, and have OEM Stihl saws, but I see the parallels.
I carry a Kimber myself a 9 for around the house and a 45 on the road. I gots a deep wallet...lol

Somehow there's lot's of experts on the china saws who've never owned or I doubt even ran them.
The oem saws are filled with china parts now who knows what percentage.
Over the year's I've swapped out dozens of oem china carbs and parts for new oem china carbs and parts from the dealerships.
It's nonsense for anyone to think the oem Stihl or Husqvarna whatever is 100% made by that manufacturer
It's a global market they cut cost and outsource oem parts and manufacturing
There's Stihl and Husqvarna manufacturing entire product lines in china.
The clone saws are fun to mess with build them how i like and inexpensive
Try finding a oem builder 288 or a 372 for under 200.00 here that hasn't been run over by a skidder.
The key is whether the name-brand companies exercise due diligence on quality control wherever the parts are manufactured. If they do, it does not matter where they are manufactured. You might remember that people once thought that Japanese cars built in the USA would be inferior in quality to those built in Japan, but they are not. Toyota, Nissan, Honda and Subaru all have manufacturing plants in the USA, and the quality has not suffered. Even those brands have some parts made in China. As for the Chinese saws, I have no information on their quality, but I think any parts made for Stihl or Husqvarna in China are likely to be built to the same standards as anywhere else.

From the Hi Point website--never heard of them so I had to check.

Find your caribne.
The 3095 - 3895 - 995 - 4095 - 1095 - 4595 or the Classic 995!

Gotta love it--such attention to detail. (Not dissing them, just found it funny.)

You know I gotta put my two cents worth in here. Over the last 45 years I have owned and still have .038 mags (2) an older 028 a 372xp. I don't mill all I do is fell, buck and split on a average of 30 cds. a year. I got a splitter about three years ago cause I just couldn't handle a maul any more. Everything on the splitter was made in China and I've had to rebuild it twice just like my 40 something year old saws

From the Hi Point website--never heard of them so I had to check.

Find your caribne.
The 3095 - 3895 - 995 - 4095 - 1095 - 4595 or the Classic 995!

Gotta love it--such attention to detail. (Not dissing them, just found it funny.)
I was curious now too. Never been on their website. But on mine spelled right on their web. Link to where that was at? https://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/index.php#

Funny thing seems stuff like that happens all the time. Seen a USPS website hiring local. They had a misspelled word in the ad. But I am not one to pick at others as I cant spell for jack and it happens if not proof read.

Now you got me wondering where each is made. I know Mansfield OH and Iberia OH was 2 of them. Think one in MI. Off to search and drink coffee. :cheers:

I carry a Kimber myself a 9 for around the house and a 45 on the road. I gots a deep wallet...lol

I started with my Glock, have tried several others and can afford to carry most anything I want, but haven't found anything I like better. I should replace the recoil spring, it's got a lot of rounds on it. Carry what you like, to hell with everyone else.

The key is whether the name-brand companies exercise due diligence on quality control wherever the parts are manufactured. If they do, it does not matter where they are manufactured.
Called production oversight and it's one thing that Harbor Freight has become real good at which us the prime reason why the have more than one line of tools and accessories. The cheap stuff like Warrior has no oversight, where as the Icon, Bauer and Chief have strict oversight. if left to their own devices, the Chinese will turn out sub par products and sell them cheap here and in Europe but with strict oversight they can and will produce quality stuff for less than domestic or European manufacturers can because the cost of production is higher than in China. HF and Grizzly do it right. Problem with Grizzly is Balola has gotten greedy which is why I don't buy there offerings. Used to, not any more. Still get their glitzy catalog which I round file now.

I did a while ago buy one one of the Farm Tec saws and it was a turd so I gifted it to one of my buddies. I don't know if he landfilled it or not and don't much care really. It was cheap and exuded cheap. So longa as Echo don't get greedy, I'll stick with them. Both my 590 and my top handle arborist saws are excellent saws with the exception of the clunky kill switch on the 590 and the leaking air filter, easily cured with 2 O rings. Why pay top buck for a Stihl when I don't have to or a Husky for that matter. Besides, the Kubota dealer I work at part time is now an Echo dealer and I can get them at dealer cost if I want another, which I don't. I do get to fiddle with customer's saws however. Echo has an excellent warranty as well. 5 years consumer, 1 year professional and Echo is good about warranty repairs as well. The only thing that I can see that Echo will not warrant (except consumables like spark plugs and bars and chain loops and drive sprockets is a straight gasses saw or one that was run out of bar oil. Other than that, they cover everything so long as the limiter caps are in place and the OEM air filter is there. One thing we have to do first on any warranty claim is... drain the gas tank and see if it was straight gassed and check to see if it has bar oil in it. That is about it and Echo's warranty is entirely based on the saw's serial number and when the selling dealer (or you) register it on their website or mail in the enclosed warranty card.

I will say, other than sharpening chains for customers (which I bring home and do anyway because I have the grinders in the shop here and not there at the dealer), we have had basically no warranty work on any of them so far. Couple straight gassed and no warranty and and a couple with no bar oil in the tank. Other than that, spark plugs and pickup filters because people don't bother to clean the swarf from around the filler caps before refueling.... and most are typically cruddy anyway, kind of like the tractors they bring in for service. I never seen so many filthy tractors in one service shop before. You gotta pressure wash the mud and crud off to get to anything. That and plugged up radiators and the customers complain about overheating...duh. One thing about overheating a diesel tractor, it usually results in collateral damage that the customer has to eat and at 130 bucks an hour plus parts, that adds up real quick. I see some real winners come in, glad I don't fiddle with them very much. My dealer makes a good living repairing owners 'mistakes'.

They all get a kick out of me. If I need shop time on any of my big Kubota's, they go in clean and easy to access. I keep them clean and serviced properly all the time which is why being a 2000 and 2002 pre 4, I never have any issues with them except overhead adjustments which I have done in the shop anyway as it's beyond my capabilities to do. 6000+ and 4500+ hours on them without a hiccup.

Back