i had to post this.....anyone see a problem with the guys in this video

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So the guy running the crew hands off the saw to the young buck,whom handles said saw with lots of bravado and apparently little real skill.I especially like the scene at 3:22 when he drops the running saw,how it did not wind up under the round I'm still trying to figure out.Let's call that dumb luck.

I also doubt seriously these guys are "loggers" by any measure,I do not know of ANY real logging crew that will show up with equipment for one stick.The ones I worked with sure as hell wouldn't.

I have dealt with many hangers,leaners,widowmakers of many types,sizes,and species.There is no way I would stand within 100 ft of these guys,much less work with them.You guys that think they did a "great job" can have at it.

OSHA would have a field day with these guys,too many infractions to list.

Yea,they got it on the ground,yea nobody got hurt,yea they prolly got paid.This doesn't excuse a presumably licensed,insured outfit not bringing any PPE or truly qualified personnel to this particular job.

Sticking with my original assessment:AMATEUR HOUR.

I'm no logger...and hell I've logged a million more hours on the PC than I have with a chainsaw, but upside down overhead...

People ask me why I don't like dealing with repair people/contractors....yeah this is it right here.

Fine the tree got down, nobody was hurt, they didn't manage to bend the bar or damage the saw...well at least this time it worked out.

Anyone can buy a saw and think they have some idea of what they were doing.

This is why I usually come up with what I think is a good plan and wait to hear how the "pros" are going to do it. If it isn't as good as mine, or better then you aren't getting hired.

I also offer up this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWHSLM7X6Pc

Alright they aren't pros, but having read enough on here about leaners splitting and what not I sure wouldn't want to be around them....

When I was a kid we used an axe...granted my friend almost impaled me in the chest with it once. But on the positive side I never stand on "that" side of the cut now.

Yep, pull the tree over backwards. I like that.

Not sure where you got that from, but if it was from my post I have no idea what the backwards means. I would have put a cable up in the tree and pulled it over to the right looking up the trunk off the tree that was holding it. I have an 80 horsepower 4X4 tractor that I can haul easy enough and from the looks of it I could have pulled the tree over from the right and sawed it up on the ground. I don't see any power lines in that direction. If the grass is on somebody else's property and you couldn't get permission that would be a problem.

I didn't see anything about backwards anywhere in this thread. Perhaps you or I need to practice our reading skills.

You can cut several tons of wood over your head all you want,. I'm going to work around that if I can.

They had PLENTY of equipment there to get it out MUCH safer. Why not pull it out with the log truck? Or maybe a combo with the winch. Getting the heck away from that much weight would be a HUGE priority for me. I have cut bigger trees out of hairier situations and been 10 times safer than those fools.

so when are all you naysayers gonna tell us rookies how you pros would have done it....

like I said, I'd like to be a fly on your wall for a situation like this.....

hell, maybe Murphy will see this and school us all.....no offense Murph...

I've been doing this longer than some of you have been wiping your own butts and done forgot more than some will ever know........

some of you have no idea how big that tree really was, a winch on the bumper of a truck ain't gonna budge that tree until it was bucked, it would most likely drag the truck, be there done that, did you not see that they had the cable around it at first...

Last edited:
some of you have no idea how big that tree really was, a winch on the bumper of a truck ain't gonna budge that tree until it was bucked, it would most likely drag the truck, be there done that, did you not see that they had the cable around it at first...

With all due respect, I have to ask the obvious: why so argumentative?

Re: winch

It failed to budge the tree while still on the stump. No surprise. I bet it would have moved it once it was off the stump, though, and those guys never tried that before hanging out under a widowmaker for an awful long time. When they did winch it, less than 20% of the total mass of the stem had been bucked off and it seemed to move pretty easily. Seems a no-brainer to at least TRY winching it before doing the Dance Of Death under a hung log.

It failed to budge the tree while still on the stump. No surprise. I bet it would have moved it once it was off the stump, though, and those guys never tried that before hanging out under a widowmaker for an awful long time. When they did winch it, less than 20% of the total mass of the stem had been bucked off and it seemed to move pretty easily. Seems a no-brainer to at least TRY winching it before doing the Dance Of Death under a hung log.
cause I ain't got nothing else to do.....lol.....

it moved the truck

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WI7DO35wigA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WI7DO35wigA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Last edited:
so when are all you naysayers gonna tell us rookies how you pros would have done it....

like I said, I'd like to be a fly on your wall for a situation like this.....

hell, maybe Murphy will see this and school us all.....no offense Murph...

I've been doing this longer than some of you have been wiping your own butts and done forgot more than some will ever know........

Actually if they were smart they could use a few blocks and multiply the power and pull it out!

I also offer up this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWHSLM7X6Pc

Alright they aren't pros, but having read enough on here about leaners splitting and what not I sure wouldn't want to be around them....

When I was a kid we used an axe...granted my friend almost impaled me in the chest with it once. But on the positive side I never stand on "that" side of the cut now.

I love how the one guys has the stihl apparel, like he knows what hes doing as they hack that tree up like they are gutting a deer.:newbie:

This one's a real gem....
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/b18D_GV_JEs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/b18D_GV_JEs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

This one's a real gem....
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/b18D_GV_JEs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/b18D_GV_JEs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

I dont think anyone ever told him not to drop them on himself.

POOR SAW screw the people, im suprised the didnt try and pull it flat to the ground with some sort of mini truck and then have a youtube fight saying a dodge cound do it... no a ford is . better ect. ect. ect.

Actually if they were smart they could use a few blocks and multiply the power and pull it out!
probably still wouldn't work if the truck is moving, it would just make the truck move slower....

we can all talk about the way it should or could have been done but we weren't there and really don't know all the factors involved so we can't really say for sure.....

probably still wouldn't work if the truck is moving, it would just make the truck move slower....

we can all talk about the way it should or could have been done but we weren't there and really don't know all the factors involved so we can't really say for sure.....

Yup ,but I got to say the way they handled the saw and put themselves in harms way is what gets me.

Back