I Lost My Husky Dealer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawyer Rob

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'll try to keep this short...

I lost my "really REALLY good" Husky dealer some years when the owner sold his business, after nearly 50 years owning/running it... SO, i went to my next best dealer who is also my tractor dealer, and is more than twice further away... This dealer has always given me excelent parts/service on my tractors ect..

I stopped in today and just found this out... His story is, he sold an average of 126 saws a year since 1996... Then the TSC store that's just down the road started selling Husky...and he felt a big drop in sales as his biggest sales were home owner saws... They were priced nearly the same, and although he has a Husky sign out front, mostly he has equipment around the building... He didn't look like a saw dealer, that's forsure.

Then a guy walked in mad as he!! and yelling, with a burnt up saw for warr... Dealer said the bar was blue, and after a quick inspection, they could see the cyl was scored, the fuel showed no oil in it + the bar oil tank never had oil put in it. (guy said he didn't know he had to put oil in the fuel)

Turns out the saw was bought down the road, but TSC doesn't do warr., and that's why he showed up on their door. He asked the guy if he got a manual witrh the saw, "yes" was the answer, he then asked if he could read, and the guy said "what do you think, i'm a dumb @$$??? Dealer said, "yes"... and basically ran him off... as the guy was already cussing and in a rage...

Anyway, you know how disgruntled news travels, so dealer says, "that was the straw that broke the camels back!!" And they quit ordering from Husky, untill all the saws were gone... :mad:

Rob

Very sorry to hear that about your dealer, at least you can still gets some parts online, but nothing like having a good local dealer...

After reading that post, I believe we need to start our own version of the Darwin awards - only related to chainsaws. Straight gas and no oil...wow...

Not Surprising!

I lost my "really REALLY good" Husky dealer some years when the owner sold his business, after nearly 50 years owning/running it... SO, i went to my next best dealer who is also my tractor dealer, and is more than twice further away... This dealer has always given me excelent parts/service on my tractors ect..

I stopped in today and just found this out... His story is, he sold an average of 126 saws a year since 1996... Then the TSC store that's just down the road started selling Husky...and he felt a big drop in sales as his biggest sales were home owner saws... They were priced nearly the same, and although he has a Husky sign out front, mostly he has equipment around the building... He didn't look like a saw dealer, that's forsure.

Then a guy walked in mad as he!! and yelling, with a burnt up saw for warr... Dealer said the bar was blue, and after a quick inspection, they could see the cyl was scored, the fuel showed no oil in it + the bar oil tank never had oil put in it. (guy said he didn't know he had to put oil in the fuel)

Turns out the saw was bought down the road, but TSC doesn't do warr., and that's why he showed up on their door. He asked the guy if he got a manual witrh the saw, "yes" was the answer, he then asked if he could read, and the guy said "what do you think, i'm a dumb @$$??? Dealer said, "yes"... and basically ran him off... as the guy was already cussing and in a rage...

Anyway, you know how disgruntled news travels, so dealer says, "that was the straw that broke the camels back!!" And they quit ordering from Husky, untill all the saws were gone... :mad:

Rob

Seems as though your Husky dealer #2 didn't mind when Husky dealer #1 when out of business - as guys like you went to him as he was the only dealer nearby. Kind of a windfall for him at he first dealer's expense.
So now he gets miffed when a new player steps in selling at the same price and he loses some business. . . Didn't he think he might actually have to do something to continue in business like promote and ADVERTISE!!!!???? Plus he probably made more on one combine or tractor sale than he did on alll the saws he sold in a year!
I don't feel sorry for the guy at all - - - same thing happened with my Husky dealer #1 here. He got all bent out of shape when Lowes and Fleet Farm started selling homeowner Huskys, and closed his franchise. But you know what - we got a new Husky dealer #2 and he's way better. He goes after the business!

Al :cheers:

Sawyer Rob,
Your story sounds familliar. Same thing happened here.
Dealer said that online sales didn't bother him, it was the a$$ hole's that came in cussing and ranting after buying from Lowe's. No more Husky's.
I think Husqvarna has made a lot of big mistakes in the last few year's that are going to come back to haunt them.

2000ssm6,
Stihl isn't the correct answer for everything.:laugh:

Andy

Seems as though your Husky dealer #2 didn't mind when Husky dealer #1 when out of business - as guys like you went to him as he was the only dealer nearby. Kind of a windfall for him at he first dealer's expense.
So now he gets miffed when a new player steps in selling at the same price and he loses some business. . . Didn't he think he might actually have to do something to continue in business like promote and ADVERTISE!!!!???? Plus he probably made more on one combine or tractor sale than he did on alll the saws he sold in a year!
I don't feel sorry for the guy at all - - - same thing happened with my Husky dealer #1 here. He got all bent out of shape when Lowes and Fleet Farm started selling homeowner Huskys, and closed his franchise. But you know what - we got a new Husky dealer #2 and he's way better. He goes after the business!

Al :cheers:

Whatever. Sounds like you've got your own issues. You've jumped to an aweful lot of conclusions there. Some people love to hide behind their keyboard and throw stones at anything they can. Box stores were bad for chainsaw dealers and that's all there is to it.

Last edited:

Rob

The gene pool could use a lot of chlorine!

Not many dealers in our area, and they never seem to have the parts we need. I just call up Bailey's and let them ship it to me.

Much cheaper to ship once than to drive 25miles four times.

That, and Bailey's usually gets the parts to us quicker.

I love the fact that my husky dealer will not work on a warranty claim for any husky products that were sold at a box store, saws, blowers, snow throwers, etc.

I love the fact that my husky dealer will not work on a warranty claim for any husky products that were sold at a box store, saws, blowers, snow throwers, etc.

Why do you care? I'll tell you one thing, a dealer that refused to do business with me would never have to refuse it, because I wouldn't use him. That's a very poor business plan.

Thats dumb for the dealer, warranty work all pays the same, at least if he does the work he still gets a piece of the action. He is not hurting Lowes or TSC or Husqvarna, he is hurting his business

Thats dumb for the dealer, warranty work all pays the same, at least if he does the work he still gets a piece of the action. He is not hurting Lowes or TSC or Husqvarna, he is hurting his business

you make a good point.

i don't think they should have to work on stuff they didn't sell. but if it pays the same, then what's the diff?
who knows maybe through good service independant dealers can win back some box store shoppers.
that's good for everybody!

Thanks for your thought's guys... I support dealer #2 as they are good folks, even if they did give up Husky.

One time i bought a used diesel zero turn mower from them. He said "it quits running once in a while, and we can't find the problem. If it does it to you, bring it back and i'll fix it" It didn't do it the first year, but more than half way through the second year, it started quitting all the time... Now, i had nothing in writeing and it's nearly two years later... I call them up, and they say, bring it in and we will fix it... I did and they did!!

I believe if the dumbass with the saw had come through the door, and acted like a decent guy, he would have got his saw repaired... IMHO he got what he deserved...

As for dealer #1, he was the greatest, "once you got to know him", and he had sold out, with the new owner running the business into the ground in less than a year!! He deserved to go under!

Rob

My dealer says he does lose some sales of home owner type saws to Lowes and Tractor Supply, but does not mind doing the warranty work. Says he makes more on servicing saws and selling accessories than on the sale of saws. He is a Huksy dealer. I was in a couple of weeks ago and a guy brought a Stihl in for service and the dealer told him he would fix it, no problem, but he did not stock the parts and would have to order them, thus taking a bit longer. The dealer has no problem servicing what he did not sell. He said the guy that owned the store before him would not service anything he did not sell. He thought that was a bad way to do business. He is a great dealer and has a large selection of pro saws and home owner saws.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back