I Lost My Husky Dealer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL...Poor business plan or not...it's called the freedom to choose. It takes a certain amount of balls to look a guy in the eye and tell him to take his box-store saw back where he got it. Gotta give him props for that.

I suppose, but in this case balls=stupidity. Freedom of choice works two ways.

I would have to side with the dealer on this one. First it does take some kind of nerve on the customers part to demand such in the first place.

Secondly from the sound of it, none of the work would of been covered by warranty and to tell an irate customer how much the actual repairs was going to cost was something (maybe experience) told him it was not worth doing.

I am lucky enough to have a dealer( Stihll, Husky, Solo) that has a sign out front that reads "If you bought your equipment at Lowes or Home Depot please bring it back there. They are better able to handle your problem"

This is a plus to me as it means more value to real customers and that he is doing well enough to turn them away.

Best thing for a Husky dealer to do is become a Stihl dealer. Have not heard of one of them closing down.

good post. That dealer also lost an opportunity to make a new customer too. I would repair the saw making sure my interests are covered as well of course(customers or husky gots to pay...), but at least I would help him out. A decent customer never will forget that.. ;)

Yes, but that case were obviously not a warrency case - and he would have had to confront the dumbazz with that - so I tend to believe it was a no-win situation, with the attitude the "costumer" showed up with..... :censored:

Last edited:
Yes, but that case were obviously not a warrency case - and he would have had to confront the dumbazz with that - so I tend to believe it was a no-win situation, with the attitude the "costumer" showed up with..... :censored:

I know watcha mean, and I agree you do not have to accept an attitude from a guy who didn't buy a saw from you in the first place.

But, if you sent him away nobody wins, not the customer, not the dealer, not Husky.

Like I said, I would offer the repair, but at xxx$$$.
Sending the customer away is easy, everybody can do that. But you won't win many new customers either. Everything depends on how much you need new customers/business.

Not really

Whatever. Sounds like you've got your own issues. You've jumped to an aweful lot of conclusions there. Some people love to hide behind their keyboard and throw stones at anything they can. Box stores were bad for chainsaw dealers and that's all there is to it.

Oh is that a fact? You know the last time I checked this is a free market system! I don't feel bad for business people that think a living is owed them by hanging a shingle out, and then when the competition moves in rather than finding a way to compete, they get p****d and fold their tent.
In any growing market there will always be those who either choose not to compete or don't know how.. they are doomed to fail. But I hardly believe that it is totally the result of the Box Stores. Watch out for the stones!

Al

Here are some of the rules from the new dealer agreements which will be interesting.
"Husqvarna will not respond to any questions or comments from one authorized reseller about the activities of any other authorized reseller."

"Dealer shall provide prompt and competent servicing on all the Products brought into its place of business for servicing. Dealer shall provide the same level of service to customers who bought Products from other resellers as customers who bought Products from Dealer."

Here you go Nik

Oh is that a fact? You know the last time I checked this is a free market system! I don't feel bad for business people that think a living is owed them by hanging a shingle out, and then when the competition moves in rather than finding a way to compete, they get p****d and fold their tent.
In any growing market there will always be those who either choose not to compete or don't know how.. they are doomed to fail. But I hardly believe that it is totally the result of the Box Stores. Watch out for the stones!

Al

http://www.usa.husqvarna.com/dealers_become_a_dealer.aspx

Give it a shot

And Grand Dog.....we had that warranty stipulation out here almost 20 years ago.....

Read above post

Regarding chasing a certain salesman out of a certain shop with a certain product for him doing just that.........I believe it happened in several locations throughout the east

Al

I guess question one is: are TSC, Lowes and Sears dealers or are they just retailers? Question two is: is Husky forcing its dealers to compete with other dealers or are they forcing them to compete with multi-billion dollar nationwide retailers? All being fair if I bought a saw at a dealer and I go far away and it breaks and there is a local Sears store nearby I should be able to get it fixed right there at Sears shouldn't I, if all things were fair among the sellers, correct?

Last edited:
So when Home Depot and Lowes put an order into Husky for 180,000 saws, and your local dealer puts his order in for 18 saws they get the same price. :ices_rofl:

Real men do not buy tools that can be purchased at a box store do they?

That was not the issue here.

The problem arises when a person who did buy a saw from Sears and does not have a clue ruins his brand new 350 running straight gas in it and gas in the oil tank (yup....seen it)

He then burns up the saw and is mad as heck because when he takes it back toi the Sears he bought it from, they send him to you the "Warranty repair center"

You have 6 saws already stacked up from your loggers and are working away to get them out the door as fast as possible and you have this guy pitching a fit for two hours because it SHOULD be covered under warranty.

Then he gets even madder at you the dealer when he sees that he could have bought it from your for a little less than he paid at Sears.

BUT IT'S A HUSQVARNA!!!!! the BEST CHAINSAW IN THE WORLD he screams as he throws in on your floor and knocks over your lit rack.

Meanwhile the loggers who come in for bar oil and files and the like have watched this tizzy for about 10 minutes each and high tailed it to the shop up the road to get their stuff and get back to work.

God I wish I could resist the temptation to join in this thread. There really isn't much that I can say that I haven't posted several times before. We still get people like the customer in the original post occasionally. It's really just free entertainment as far as we are concerned. Bottom line in that example is that it's not warranty. If the store didn't set up and explain the saw, then the guys problem is with TSC. Not the saw, not Husky, and not me. He may not walk out happy, but then he didn't walk in happy to begin with.

It's usually too much of an uphill battle to win these people over. Here, you are faced with a guy who doesn't even know he needs to mix oil with the gas, or that there is such a thing as bar oil. That's your starting point. He has ruined his saw, and like most people, he wants somebody else to pay for his mistake. There's a good chance that someone over at TSC said that he should bring it to a dealer and it would be covered under warranty. When you tell him it isn't covered, he now directs his anger at you. We just politely refer all of this nonsense to another dealer who has actually signed up for all of this box store work. Between now and July 4th, we'll be doing 60+ hour weeks just taking care of our own customers, so we don't have time for the Lowes and Depot shoppers.

I don't want to repeat myself regarding what we should do or have to do, cause I've gone on and on about that stuff before. But lets look at this in a different light for a minute. I am a Husky as well as a Cub Cadet dealer. So some people might say that we are an "authorized service center" for all Husqvarna and MTD products sold by Lowes, Home Depot, and TSC. That's just about EVERYTHING that those stores sell except the Deere and Toro product. Obviously, none of those stores have repair shops. Does it make any sense, or is it even logistically possible, for a small dealer like myself to assume a service liability/responsibility for all of that equipment? It's just an absurd concept.

That was not the issue here.

The problem arises when a person who did buy a saw from Sears and does not have a clue ruins his brand new 350 running straight gas in it and gas in the oil tank (yup....seen it)

He then burns up the saw and is mad as heck because when he takes it back toi the Sears he bought it from, they send him to you the "Warranty repair center"

You have 6 saws already stacked up from your loggers and are working away to get them out the door as fast as possible and you have this guy pitching a fit for two hours because it SHOULD be covered under warranty.

Then he gets even madder at you the dealer when he sees that he could have bought it from your for a little less than he paid at Sears.

BUT IT'S A HUSQVARNA!!!!! the BEST CHAINSAW IN THE WORLD he screams as he throws in on your floor and knocks over your lit rack.

Meanwhile the loggers who come in for bar oil and files and the like have watched this tizzy for about 10 minutes each and high tailed it to the shop up the road to get their stuff and get back to work.

Exactly Pest. What I was saying is if Sears doesn't have to fix something from the dealer why does the dealer have to fix something from Sears, seems to me we got us a stalemate,LOL

I'll try to keep this short...

I lost my "really REALLY good" Husky dealer some years when the owner sold his business, after nearly 50 years owning/running it... SO, i went to my next best dealer who is also my tractor dealer, and is more than twice further away... This dealer has always given me excelent parts/service on my tractors ect..

I stopped in today and just found this out... His story is, he sold an average of 126 saws a year since 1996... Then the TSC store that's just down the road started selling Husky...and he felt a big drop in sales as his biggest sales were home owner saws... They were priced nearly the same, and although he has a Husky sign out front, mostly he has equipment around the building... He didn't look like a saw dealer, that's forsure.

Then a guy walked in mad as he!! and yelling, with a burnt up saw for warr... Dealer said the bar was blue, and after a quick inspection, they could see the cyl was scored, the fuel showed no oil in it + the bar oil tank never had oil put in it. (guy said he didn't know he had to put oil in the fuel)

Turns out the saw was bought down the road, but TSC doesn't do warr., and that's why he showed up on their door. He asked the guy if he got a manual witrh the saw, "yes" was the answer, he then asked if he could read, and the guy said "what do you think, i'm a dumb @$$??? Dealer said, "yes"... and basically ran him off... as the guy was already cussing and in a rage...

Anyway, you know how disgruntled news travels, so dealer says, "that was the straw that broke the camels back!!" And they quit ordering from Husky, untill all the saws were gone... :mad:

Rob

We lost Husky here, my brothers shop was selling Husky and Stihl. A lowes opened across the street and started selling the husky homeowner models. The kicker was that they were selling the saws at cheaper than my brothers shops cost. It just made them look bad. So they said He!! with it and dumped husky.

Now they have stopped online sales so I am just certain that Husqvarna doesn't want me to own any more of there saws.

If the company keeps up practices like this, the only orange saws will be sitting between the macs and the homelites at the local Xmart.

Husqvarna, if you are reading this, YOU SUCK. You build good saws but you don't want me or anyone with in 500 miles of me own them. Go rethink your marketing practices you Dumb@$$e$, before your pro line crumbles.

Back