I Lost My Husky Dealer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
spacemule works for a box store I believe so he has a interest in them doing well.

Everybody needs to make a living

Actually, yes they do. They do so every day.

Real men don't ask for handouts from customers to support them when they don't compete.

Tell that to the guy who bought the saw and was not "shown" how to care for it or use it.

Buy a saw from your place and all you get is a box and "thanks sucker".

Tell that to the guy who bought the saw and was not "shown" how to care for it or use it.

Buy a saw from your place and all you get is a box and "thanks sucker".

Every person has the same chance to read an owner's manual.....................

If they do not...............................

Fred

spacemule works for a box store I believe so he has a interest in them doing well.

Everybody needs to make a living

I'd be willing to bet that my employer has helped pay for more kids' college from one store than small dealers from the whole state. Not to mention, I get health insurance for working part time. Show me a small dealer who does that.

I'm not against dealers; in fact I send a lot of saw business to local dealers when they need something we don't provide. I don't understand this whining attitude from some. Competition is what makes this country great and strong. If the small dealers can't beat us on price, then beat us on service. There's always a market for the services of talented people. Notsomuch other kinds of people.

The Beat Goes On

This thread is really interesting, no question about it. One thing has been overlooked that is the root of the whole problem. Who is to blame for this dealer verses national retailer war in the US. There is only one source to blame for it all and thats the maker, the supplier of both the dealer and national retailer. A blind man could see whats going on here. Who's winning the big game, the one where all the money is, the maker. Its all about the money and nothing else. How so, easy. So you lose a few hundred dealers, maybe a 1000 or more that refuse to compete with the big retail chains, big whoop. They've been replaced by a huge national chain of stores. So you lose a few thousand brand loyals, maybe a 100,000 or more, so what, millions on top of millions shop those retail chains. Like it or not Husqvarna knows where the money is. There aren't too many brands of any kind of product in the US that hasn't done the samething Husqvarna has done with its product. We love chainsaws, the companies love $$$$$$$$$$$, get used to it...

I have many freinds that work for large retailers

I have in the past myself.

I am in no way judging nor making fun of you spacemule.

But I have seen the ugly effects all to clearly and I can not take part in many "requirements" that these employers demand

Every person has the same chance to read an owner's manual.....................

If they do not...............................

Fred

True and while Space may take the time to advise the customer on how to use a new tool, most employees in blowes and hd don't have a clue how to operate it their self, much less explain to someone else how to use it.

If a person didn't know nothing about chainsaws, his best bet would be to do some net research and see his local saw dealer. That way when it burns up from straight gas, the saw owner is to blame. How many guys acutally read the instructions anyway, LOL.:dizzy:

I have in the past myself.

I am in no way judging nor making fun of you spacemule.

But I have seen the ugly effects all to clearly and I can not take part in many "requirements" that these employers demand
It takes a certain kind of person to work in a retailer. You can't take things personally, and you have to realize that no matter what kind of position you hold in the store, you can be replaced in a matter of days. This is compensated with better pay and benefits than a small hardware store could provide.

I wouldn't make a career of this type of employment, but it is an excellent job for some groups of people. It's hard to beat 50% tuition reimbursement (I grandfathered on that one, new hires now have to be full time to get tuition reimbursement) and health insurance for working 16 hours or less per week.

I've never worked for a "box store" and I agree with Space. HMMMMM

Hey Space, the horses are running at Oaklawn tomorrow. I took a bunch of guys for a ride at poker last night, so I'm feeling lucky. Do you ever get down there?

Fred

I've never worked for a "box store" and I agree with Space. HMMMMM

Hey Space, the horses are running at Oaklawn tomorrow. I took a bunch of guys for a ride at poker last night, so I'm feeling lucky. Do you ever get down there?

Fred

I've never gambled in my life. Keep meaning to go down there, but the time and money thing always get me. :) I did work with a guy who went down there and won enough to buy his car.

It takes a certain kind of person to work in a retailer. You can't take things personally, and you have to realize that no matter what kind of position you hold in the store, you can be replaced in a matter of days. This is compensated with better pay and benefits than a small hardware store could provide.

I wouldn't make a career of this type of employment, but it is an excellent job for some groups of people. It's hard to beat 50% tuition reimbursement (I grandfathered on that one, new hires now have to be full time to get tuition reimbursement) and health insurance for working 16 hours or less per week.

DANG< I know what your tuition is. 50% of yours is taking them for a ride. Well played.

Fred

See it is different in different states

We are a "right to work" state with a "state mandated minimum wage" which is still ridiculously below a living wage.

And the benefits were virtually non existent.

Any benefits were things that would be deducted from my already low pay so that did not last long.

Thall - - you got it man!

This thread is really interesting, no question about it. One thing has been overlooked that is the root of the whole problem. Who is to blame for this dealer verses national retailer war in the US. There is only one source to blame for it all and thats the maker, the supplier of both the dealer and national retailer. A blind man could see whats going on here. Who's winning the big game, the one where all the money is, the maker. Its all about the money and nothing else. How so, easy. So you lose a few hundred dealers, maybe a 1000 or more that refuse to compete with the big retail chains, big whoop. They've been replaced by a huge national chain of stores. So you lose a few thousand brand loyals, maybe a 100,000 or more, so what, millions on top of millions shop those retail chains. Like it or not Husqvarna knows where the money is. There aren't too many brands of any kind of product in the US that hasn't done the samething Husqvarna has done with its product. We love chainsaws, the companies love $$$$$$$$$$$, get used to it...

My original contention in all of this that it's really up to the Dealer if he wants to play the game or not. The manufacturer isn't going away and neither are the box stores - so if the dealer is to be a player he must compete. . . offer what the boxes can't - - - carry the models they don't, offer saw seminars to educate the tyros out there and service the damn saws and sell the guy up to the next model when he brings the box store POS that he bought to you. You might actully gain more customers that way.
Mr. Hall as long as I've been on this site -only about nine months- you if no one else has demonstrated very cunning marketing techniques right down to your warm Pepsi.... You are successful . I'm sure it's not easy. It takes a ton of hard work but what in life doesn't? So when the dealer back in the original post gave it up I say who cares?!?

Al

We are a "right to work" state with a "state mandated minimum wage" which is still ridiculously below a living wage.

And the benefits were virtually non existent.

Any benefits were things that would be deducted from my already low pay so that did not last long.

Yup. This is Arkansas. We're a right to work state as well. The company competes to get employees with its benefits. The pay is not great, but it's no where near minimum wage.

Are you guy's still harping about that dealer ?

Some years back, I attempted to make a living at running a small engine shop. We got signed up with several engine manufacturers, and several product lines. We also arranged to do the all the warranty repairs for a major retail distribution center in Kansas City, and we also got the local warranty repairs coming in from two hardware chains that later went out of business. Yep, I was a damn good businessman, and I was gunna do good now. Yea, RIGHT!

It turns out that most of the warranty repairs were not warrantable, that most of the manufacturers don't pay enough money to cover the overhead for doing all the paperwork, much less the repair. Some didn't even pay our dealer margin on the parts. Worse yet, all the retailers thought that their "take anything back" policies would all be covered by the manufacturer's warranties, which of course was ridiculous. It didn't help that I was a pretty poor manager of the repair shop, and my mechanics were getting away with doing poor work.

In my limited experience, warranty work doesn't make a dealer much money (think PROFIT), it creates goodwill and keeps people coming back in the door. The idea is to make money on repairs that the customer pays for when he picks up the machine. The dealer problem that started this thread probably had had enough problems in his life, and thought it would get better if he quit fighting Husqvarna warranties. My life improved quite a bit when I quit repairs altogether.

It is pointless to argue about where a chainsaw was purchased, whether it was a servicing dealer or retail "box" store. What if you bought your saw from a dealer in another state, and you just moved into town ?

The very BEST customers for a repair facility are the idiots that tear up their machines. Let 'em come in mad, they usually settle down when you promise to take care of them as well as you can. Commiserate with them about their problem that you can't warranty, and then suggest that as their dealer, you will be happy to teach them how to keep that machine working in the future. (just be sure to buy your oil from us, etc, etc, etc...)

A well run dealership knows that the retail store is creating more customers for them, not stealing business. They have much greater marketing ability, they are set up for more profitable sales than any dealer could be.

Furthermore, anybody who has ever had to repair a chainsaw knows that the real profit is in selling the PARTS, not wasting time trying to sell small equipment, so let the retail boxes have all the sales they want.

Hey Mule, clean out your PM box. I wanted to tell you how you are working for the evil empire in private. ;)

Fred

Like Tom said...........interesting thread. I'm all for capitalism and don't have a fundamental problem with big boxes, but if all you "compete or get out" guys think where our American retail business is heading is a good thing you're nuts.

Husqvarna has every capitalistic right to do what they will with their products to make a buck. But all you have to do is look at the business models of their predicessors after selling their out, oh wait they already own most of 'em. Seriously, I do like Husky products but I think their business model sucks for pro end users, not to mention their dealers. After they weed out most of the mom & pop B&Ms by overselling the crap outta the consumer stuff in the big boxes, where're we left to go for our "pro" needs? And more fundamentally, if Husky's upper management is being primarily driven by the all mighty dollar.........do they really care about the pro market? Long term. Every company has to be profitable to keep the lights on, healtier the company the better the products. But if their focus is on out producing their competition in the low end market that means less attention to the customer care and high end users.

Those that are comparing $30-50K car sales and servicing to the sales and servicing of chainsaws are outta their minds........ If someone brought their F150 into a certain someone's Ford service dept. DEMANDING warranty coverage for a blown engine that was run sans oil what would you have done?? I have a buddy that found out the hard way, had oil chang and tire service provided by small shop. They forgot to add oil after draining, amazingly he drove 'er 20 miles before she locked up. Had it towed to his SELLING dealership, they refused to even look at it. My bud didn't expect/claim warranty, just wanted his truck running again but they refused to even let it in the service bay......

This is America(for most of us anyways) go spend your money where you like and I'll do the same. Like I said, I like most pro Huskys but have Zero loyalty to the company as a whole though. I buy all my saws and parts from small, independant dealers. (unless I buy them from used from individuals)

Those that are comparing $30-50K car sales and servicing to the sales and servicing of chainsaws are outta their minds........ If someone brought their F150 into a certain someone's Ford service dept. DEMANDING warranty coverage for a blown engine that was run sans oil what would you have done?? I have a buddy that found out the hard way, had oil chang and tire service provided by small shop. They forgot to add oil after draining, amazingly he drove 'er 20 miles before she locked up. Had it towed to his SELLING dealership, they refused to even look at it. My bud didn't expect/claim warranty, just wanted his truck running again but they refused to even let it in the service bay......

This is America(for most of us anyways) go spend your money where you like and I'll do the same. Like I said, I like most pro Huskys but have Zero loyalty to the company as a whole though. I buy all my saws and parts from small, independant dealers. (unless I buy them from used from individuals)

WOW! Your Reading teachers from primary school are rolling their eyes right now.

You have committed a logical fallacy. It actually has a name Ignoratio Elenchi. You totally ignored the argument and jumped to your own conclusion using unrelated facts. Nice.

Please, the next time you accuse me of being out of my mind, use a little logic and I won't point out your short comings.

Fred

Back