Iowa 2015 Fall GTG (October 17, 2015)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
once it was figured out Nate only had about 7amps of electricity down there at the well. We were able to see what the electrics could do on a generator.

Sent from somewhere

once it was figured out Nate only had about 7amps of electricity down there at the well. We were able to see what the electrics could do on a generator.
That is the other edge of having a larger, electric saw (your Remington EL is rated at 12A, my Oregon CS1500 at 15A). Even a 12 gauge cord won't make up for that kind of voltage/current drop.

Following Hurricane Katrina I did use a 7A Remington pole saw (all we could find) off of a generator in the field! OK for occasional use.

Philbert

Sent from somewhere
Really 7amps??? Did you actually test for that number?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Naw prolly not.

Well...at some point this I would like to own a 'big saw' like a 394/395 or a 3120 if I can settle on one for the right price...just have to wait for life to work out all of the kinks :)

Duh Ya!!!!!!!

Both saws would barely run on the well pump circuit. We have suspicions about the shut off switch maybe having high resistance? It was really rough sounding. Mike got us running on the Honda 2000 generator and all was good after that. Not exactly sure, but clearly there was a significant amp loss somewhere in that circuit.

Sent from somewhere

Really 7amps??? Did you actually test for that number?

I'm gonna guess it was probably voltage drop off that corroded as hell shutoff switch. It sounded REALLY scratchy in there, and the saws worked a smidge better after cycling the switch a few times to scrape the rust off. Did NOT want to look in there to find out for sure. That's a job for someone "certified" on rusty old farm electrical boxes, and immune to hornets and other bad things that tend to reside inside of them. :D Or just some random maniac with a tube of deoxit from Home Despot and a nylon brush/toothbrush to scrape 50 years of corrosion off it. Either way, you can probably find one of those in your neck of the woods willing to work on it for a six pack of pabst and $40 with no problem.

That is the other edge of having a larger, electric saw (your Remington EL is rated at 12A, my Oregon CS1500 at 15A). Even a 12 gauge cord won't make up for that kind of voltage/current drop.

Following Hurricane Katrina I did use a 7A Remington pole saw (all we could find) off of a generator in the field! OK for occasional use.

Philbert

Running a stack of inadequate extension cords in an art form all in itself. This summer I believe we had a Bosch 12-15 amp jackhammer running off a 12ga 50 footer, a 12ga 100 footer, and another 14ga 100 footer all linked together. Probably the only reason nothing caught fire was that the minions were generally too wimpy to run the jackhammer for more than 10-15 seconds before letting off the trigger, repositioning, catching breath, sometimes smoking a few cigs, then going back at it for a few more minutes. :D So, not much time for things to heat up at each connection point, or along the length of cords.

Now using my 10amp nominal, and probably 12-16amp peak SDS hammer drill, a 10 ga 50 footer, and a 12 ga 100 footer got REALLY warm and toasty running the thing for just an 8-10 minute test run. Even though, in theory and by ratings, both of those should have had no problem.

The 15amp Craftsman/China Special chainsaw will generally do OK on a 14ga 100 foot cord with light to middling loads for about 20-25 minutes. However, you start loading it down real good, and you've got maybe 3-5 minutes before a 15 amp breaker trips the thermal even if the ground is relatively cool. And of course, crud and woodchips clogging up the chain gear inside doesn't help either. ;)

But if all you're doing is a bit of nip, cut, clean up, cut again, clean up, sporadic type work, you can get away with it. Not recommended of course, because you always have some meathead that sticks a penny in an old style fuse box(the new pennies tend to melt down at about 17-23 amps BTW before turning into lava and burning on their own), or worse, a pre-83 penny, and BBQs the extension cord, and one phase of the panel box. ;P

So, don't try this at home kids! And don't stack two 20 amp rated variacs so you can pump the head end to 155 volts and overcome the line drop. BAD things can happen. lol!

Got the first stack in the garage and jigged up so it can air dry over the winter. Need to pick up some anchor seal tomorrow to seal the ends so they don't split. 10.5ft x 12in x 2.5in beams!!!

2b7348d28b8824da3f18f19b95fe593e.jpg

Latest posts

Back