MS 441....Are they panning out?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup, then Nik can have another 50cc shout-out and I'll bring the bad-a$$ strato: Stihl of course ;) It will completely dominate all other 50cc saws.

You can buy the lovely 260 all day long.:clap: I want a strato 50cc!

Based on how impressed I am with the power of the redmax 4000 which is a 40cc strato, I think a 50cc strato could be pretty fun. Although the 346NE is a great motor, too.

I am surprise a little at all the praise for the 260. It was great in it's day, but it is way down on power and air filtration (stock) as compared to the 5100 and 346.

Since I got those saws, my 026 seldom sees daylight.

Didn't have time to read the first 50 pages but just wanted to chime in on the 441. I've had mine for awhile maybe 6-8 months while a crew i've worked with has an early 07 model, I run synthetic and high octane while he runs whatever is cheaper wherever he can buy it. I clean my saws once a week while he only cleans his when he swaps out a chain and to be honest with you I can't tell a diff between mine and his minus the 28" to a 25" bar. I've heard issues with the 441 being talked about but have never seen them around here. I had a 460 for a bit but as troll man said the 441 does feel like a husky which is kind of the best of both worlds..

Didn't have time to read the first 50 pages but just wanted to chime in on the 441. I've had mine for awhile maybe 6-8 months while a crew i've worked with has an early 07 model, I run synthetic and high octane while he runs whatever is cheaper wherever he can buy it. I clean my saws once a week while he only cleans his when he swaps out a chain and to be honest with you I can't tell a diff between mine and his minus the 28" to a 25" bar. I've heard issues with the 441 being talked about but have never seen them around here. I had a 460 for a bit but as troll man said the 441 does feel like a husky which is kind of the best of both worlds..

I was handling a 441 today. Smooth as glass, but I wish it were a bit more compact physically.

Howdy,
I'm not trying to be brand biased here. I've bought, run, and sold a bunch of saws from different manufacturers. I currently own a Stihl, and a Husqvarna. My comment was aimed more towards the relationship between the 441 and Stihl's available models. I take it you're eluding to the 575, and 576. I wonder how successful the 441 would be if the 440 was still sitting on the shelf next to it like the 372 is to the Husqvarna's. People would still be tearing it a new one just like they did when they brought it out.
Regards
Gregg

The MS440 was still available when I bought my 441 last October. I chose the 441 for the antivibe and the filtration. 2009 was the first year Stihl didn't list the 440 in the catalogue. When Stihl was sure they had a winner in the 441, they dropped the 440. Husky dropped the 372 a little prematurely, and when the 575 flopped (although I know a few happy 575 owners) they hurried to bring back the 372, which is still availble next to the 576 (which I have yet to run, but may get a chance next Sunday at the cny GTG!)

I like Husky saws, I love my only Husky and have been thinking about a 390 or 395, but in terms of the 441, Stihl did their homework and got it right the first time.

In my opinion the 441 and the 361 to a lesser extent are examples of Stihl "doing" Husky better than Husky. Every new thing builds on the things that came before it.

Must be a special 441, I have it now, LOL.:clap: Hope to have it ported soon.:chainsaw:

It's a good saw.The plastic may look a little rough but it wasn't run very hard and I was the only one to use it.It seems really happy with a 24 inch bar and full comp chain.I ran it a good bit with a 20 and it flat rips..It also happily pulls a 28 inch bar with skip chain...Let me know how you like it.

Hi All
I own both 460 & 441 Stihl saws and to me a saw is just a tool used to do a job. At the end of the day what I look at is production which equates to profit and what I have found is that the 460 out produces the 441 in many ways. Lets say you are on a 30 to 40 % slope falling a high grade 34 to 36 in. white oak and how and where you lay that log could mean alot in skid time and in the end what that log brings at market. To lay that tree where and how it needs to lay many times is acomlished by using a saw that can preform in a way to accomplish this. What I have found is the 460 out preforms the 441 hands down. There are times when a millisecond in what you can get the saw to do means whether you are able to accomplish this or not. I have found that when making the falling cut there are times that it is necessary to croud the saw considerbaly to keep up with the fall so as to lay the tree where an how it needs to lay, it is almost impossible to do this with the 441 do to the fact that by the time you have loaded the springs in the antivibe system you have used up the crutial time needed to remove proud wood to control the fall, nor does the 441 have the brute torque to do this in the time required. Like I said to me it is all about the bottom line. I will say that the 441 uses about half the fuel which might be why it doesent have the low end grunt when called for in an instant

Another zombie thread. I think this has been covered more recently in newer threads by professional timber fallers who say the 441 is more productive, at least that is what I'm reading.

I had an original 441 and just got a MS441 M Tronic so I guess they are panning out in Stihl's opinion. The 441 appears to be the test bed with the M-Tronic system for later updates to the 460 and 660. Hopefully soon to be the 461 and 661. All you steam engine technology guys better start buying up the old stock now before it gets snapped up.

In time means money environment a Wrap model 441 C MTronic wins hands down.
Better than 460
AV ( wrap model has stiffer springs)
High out put oiler
Filter system
No tune
Easy start system
Less fuel
:D

Hard to beat a MS441C-Mtronic. Alot of threads about this saw since it caught on. I'm still waiting for the Husky 576AT to do the same, but it hasn't. Team Husky with their AT has been very quiet. ??

2012 should bring out the 461 and the 661.

Best all around saw I own is the 441 M-Tronic. (This one is ported) And I do like to run the 460, and the 372, and the......you get my drift.

Hi All
I own both 460 & 441 Stihl saws and to me a saw is just a tool used to do a job. At the end of the day what I look at is production which equates to profit and what I have found is that the 460 out produces the 441 in many ways. Lets say you are on a 30 to 40 % slope falling a high grade 34 to 36 in. white oak and how and where you lay that log could mean alot in skid time and in the end what that log brings at market. To lay that tree where and how it needs to lay many times is acomlished by using a saw that can preform in a way to accomplish this. What I have found is the 460 out preforms the 441 hands down. There are times when a millisecond in what you can get the saw to do means whether you are able to accomplish this or not. I have found that when making the falling cut there are times that it is necessary to croud the saw considerbaly to keep up with the fall so as to lay the tree where an how it needs to lay, it is almost impossible to do this with the 441 do to the fact that by the time you have loaded the springs in the antivibe system you have used up the crutial time needed to remove proud wood to control the fall, nor does the 441 have the brute torque to do this in the time required. Like I said to me it is all about the bottom line. I will say that the 441 uses about half the fuel which might be why it doesent have the low end grunt when called for in an instant

LOLOLOLOL, thats a good one.

So by your own admition the 441 gets twice the fuel mileage which at a minium takes 2-3 minutes to deal with refueling a saw, especially on those
30 to 40 %.
slopes.

So there are 5 fill-ups in a gallon of gas for a 441 (24.5 ounces). Its not uncommon to burn 1 gallon of gas before noon with a 441, its quite easy to do this with a 460, so your saying that with the 460 having to make 5 additional fill ups and walking around 30-40% hills, you are more productive with a 460?? Odd.

Not to mention having to carry around the extra poundage of the fuel and either larger gas container or going back for more fuel, which isn't a time saver last time I checked, especially on those 30-40% hills.

Not you in particular, but there are a lot of other 441 bashers that call it a fat bottom girl or clumsy, when it is within a few ounces of the lightest 70cc saw and is the same or lighter than others, but they sure don't mind carrying around those "sleek, lightweight" fuel containers, or going back and forth between the "trees to cut" and the fuel jugs.

Somehow these type of statistics don't ever make it into the 441 Basher's formula's for production cutting. Yet they are crutial statistics that make a big difference if you really are after optimum, BS free, wood cutting production.

I've dropped trees with stock and modded 260's, 361's, 362 (Stock), 440's, Husky 372's (Stock), 441's, 460's, Husky 390's (Stock), 660's and an 084, and I have yet to ever blame the power level of a saw for where a tree landed, and not to say it doesn't happen when I get careless in low grade timber, but its pretty rare that I don't put one where I want it to go. I sure have never blamed the AV system of any model for where a trees comes down, but everyone is different and I guess, Stihl makes a saw for us all.

My opinion,

Sam

I'm still running an original 441. Purchased 2-28-2007 for $699.99. Yep, right off my original sales receipt.

I wouldn't mind getting a 441 M-tronic, but I also wouldn't mind a 261, 372, 346 etc.

Am I still happy with the 441? You betcha. It's a good'n.
It's got thousands of board feet and lots of cords on it now and runs as good as it ever did.

The MTronic has a C after the 441
There is no carb adjustment screws
Stainless muffler

Yes, but the new regular 441's have a SS muffler too, so that one might be out the window now.

Jchevytruckman

How would I tell if my 441 is an mtronic

The Mtronic version also has a three position control switch instead of a 4 position on a non-Mtronic.

It would be quite amazing that you didn't know if you had a Mtronic version.

I would think you would have to have zero experience with a saw to not know it is "special" or have somehow owned a saw that almost always started in only 2 pulls, which if you did you would likely have enough experience to know that you had a computer onboard, when dealing with your 441.

I haven't started my 15ish tank old 441 Mtronic in about 1 to 1.5 months and it was probably 60 degrees then. I started it and cut some firewood tonight in the dark with truck headlights, it was 23 degrees and it started in 3 pulls. It was one pull after that. The most it has ever needed before that was 2 pulls if it was run within the week.

Sam

This thread illustrates the differnce between the Husky and stihl owners. It seems like the husky owner values features and performance more than the Stihl owner. The Stihl owners seem to have an unrealistic value for tradition. They seem to oppose any progress, whether it is advancement or regulation. Husky has been ahead of Stihl one to two years in every catagory. I don't know how long Stihl can rest on its reputation. There are several asian saws that I would rate as more reliable than Stihl or Husky
ZG

stihl guys just prefer a company that is more consumer friendly.husky dealers may be good or bad but the coporation itself could care less about customers thats been my experence doin warranty work for them.

Latest posts

Back