Premix fuel OK to use?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pump gas doesn't contain much if any olefins or aromatics. In addition aromatics are very stable by virtue of their ring structure and alkanes are the opposite. I know this because I make gasoline for a living.
Whomever told you this at Stihl school needs to do a little better research.
The information I quoted came from the Stihl training document FOL201

Have you run motomix? As you know, a lot of the residue is from the fuel, not the oil. Motomix being an alkylate petrol, burns incredibly cleanly even with Stihls FB oil.

I agree that stihl ultra oil is notably dirty when burnt in petrol station fuel and is disgustingly over priced, but I disagree that motomix burns dirty - it doesn’t. It’s not a boat oil, it’s an air cooled oil and to say “FB quality” as if it’s always bad, is wrong. Rogue and trains, have proven after years of use, good quality made FB oils like Castrol offer, that have been run in well tuned engines, burn very cleanly.
Stihl Ultra is formulated just like a boat oil IE its ashless. The Castrol product Rogue uses is a low ash oil which works OK, but not great in an air cooled engine.

Some dude from Bob is the oil guy site...

"Yeah I asked the guy at STIHL Regional GM and he said STIHL didn’t pay for the FD rating like they did with the STIHL Hp super because for how many people pay premium for the ultra wasn’t worth it. There super is FD rated. ( not %100 sold on the truth of the matter) but it would make sense ultra would be better than super."

🤷‍♂️
Another guy that doesn't have a clue.. a ashless oil like Ultra will not pass the FD tests. There isn't a single ashless oil that has passed FD.
Ultra was designed as a bandaid fix to keep the 4mix engines valves from not closing/seating properly.

Another guy that doesn't have a clue.. a ashless oil like Ultra will not pass the FD tests. There isn't a single ashless oil that has passed FD.
Ultra was designed as a bandaid fix to keep the 4mix engines valves from not closing/seating properly.

Why would stihl sacrifice their entire 2 stroke lineup, which is huge, for a very small 4mix portfolio?

I don't know if that makes any sense.

Why would stihl sacrifice their entire 2 stroke lineup, which is huge, for a very small 4mix portfolio?

I don't know if that makes any sense.
I agree, it makes no sense, but it's what happened.
Back in the 90's Polaris did something similar. They marketed one oil, which was an ashless marine oil formulation in their watercraft, snowmobiles and ATV's. It was a disaster and they went back to selling low ash type oils for their snowmobiles and ATV's. Eventually as their watercraft got more advanced engine design wise they switched their whole oil range over to low ash type oils completely.

91octane 10%ethanol and stihl oil in all 5 of my work saws never ever had a fuel problem AT ALL, after 30 days if it doesn't get used it goes in my old truck, been doing it for at least 15 years. Phase separation is the killer of ethanol fuel, you can see it and smell it. Put non premix fuel on a blue paper towel, it should evaporate in at least 7 to 8 seconds, ( slower at lower temp)if it's premix the gas will evaporate and the oil will remain. If it doesn't I won't use it. We stored premix fuel in a vented metal cabinet at the HD Tool rental and dated it, rotated it and checked it consistently. 45 day max it was disposed of. All 2 stroke equipment was rented out with 5 gals. of premix so renters didn't seize them up. If I know I am not going to use a saw for an extended period I dump the fuel put in Trufuel and run out the gas premix. I stay with the same oil, I don't even know what ultra is. Never used it and never will. The oil I've been using has worked just fine. Why CHANGE?

way to much money for to run a saw all day. Granted I'm no petroleum expert, but my proof holds up for me just fine. regards and happy 2 stroke life.

I agree, it makes no sense, but it's what happened.
Back in the 90's Polaris did something similar. They marketed one oil, which was an ashless marine oil formulation in their watercraft, snowmobiles and ATV's. It was a disaster and they went back to selling low ash type oils for their snowmobiles and ATV's. Eventually as their watercraft got more advanced engine design wise they switched their whole oil range over to low ash type oils completely.
I remember it well , liquid cooled engines with power valves melting right of the cylinders . Cylinder heads same , piston scoring , rings stuck within their lands . It was atrocious !

Don't hold your breath. As I am sure you are aware to really get a scientific test with statistical validity of these sorts of things the revenue generated on You Tube won't pencil out and not even close.
Yep, your correct proper testing equipment & valid testing procedure & practices conformance is expensive . Calibrating & validating testing equipment within itself is time consuming & expensive .

Personally I've only run Stihl Ultra a Handful of times so can't comment on it as far as longevity out of equipment using it.
I don't use Ultra based on smell alone it's a combination of sardines and burnt plastic! 🤢 .
I got a 5 liter bottle of it "free" when I bought a saw once I ended up using it as bar oil.
It might burn dirty gum up rings and have bad blowby but are saws for example seizing running it? Anyone actually got pics of a saw piston run on Ultra for a minimum 500hrs?

There was a guy from Oz on here few years ago chainsaw milling with an ms880 mixing Ultra @ 50:1 and it hadn't blown up? which is odd as ya only have to fart loud running 50:1 in a 880 for it to start smearing piston on the exhaust side 😆 lol

There are some interesting videos shared by a mechanic and YouTuber called Richard Flagg. I like his no bs, unbiased approach. He says what he sees. Ultra is really bad over and over in what he shows. Again though, I wonder if fuel type, octane and quality worsen what is already a dirty oil!?

There are some interesting videos shared by a mechanic and YouTuber called Richard Flagg. I like his no bs, unbiased approach. He says what he sees. Ultra is really bad over and over in what he shows. Again though, I wonder if fuel type, octane and quality worsen what is already a dirty oil!?

Those results are exactly what I would expect from an ashless oil used in a air cooled motor.

Them saws look like they have actually been used more than an hr.
Yeah IDK sure it's dirty looking crap but I'm not seeing anything that will drastically end the saws life prematurely what am I missing??
I mean they aren't pampered cleaned with cotton buds kind of looking saws. Pistons still have machine marks I didn't really get a good look at the load side of piston, the rings don't look gummed up and doesn't seem to be any metal to metal contact going, yeah a little carbon smearing pitting above the rings on exhaust side but meh is nothing for well used saws. Did he show the exhaust port was it blocked or anything? I kind of skipped through the vids. The bottom ends haven't flown to bits yet from what I could gather.

A home owner could run their saws for 25 plus years on that dirty crap and never know any difference lol
I think it's a lot of noise about not much really a dirty stained piston is all I'm seeing like I said what am I missing in the above saws?
I better add no I'm not saying it's a great oil just I don't think anyone will be blowing their saws up overnight running it.

Latest posts

Back