sold a saw to a man the other day at work

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spacemule

The Peanut Gallery
Reaction score
And was giving him a few pointers. I may as well have been talking to a brick wall. He seemed to think I was crazy.

He was buying a reconditioned Homelite. He said "What oil ratio do you use, 16:1?" I replied that no, modern saws use 50:1, and that the oil is much superior than when people ran 30 weight oil.

He says "I just use the same stuff I use in my boat--it's cheap." and grinned like he was being smart. I said that is TCW rated oil, and although some brands say you can use it on the packaging, it's not recommended by saw manufacturers and will damage you saw over time. I told him that it's designed for water cooled engines that don't run nearly as hot as chainsaws. Finally, I told him that because of methanol in the modern fuels, gas will absorb water out of the air because methanol is hygroscopic, so don't mix any more gas than you can use in a month's time.

He smirked and looked at me like I was a nutcase. Seems that some morons have the preconceived notion that anyone working in retail is an idiot, and that's what they expect. It does no good to give them good information, because they're going to discount it anyway. Easier to just play the part of a drooling moron. And people wonder why they don't get good service. . .

Last time I looked there was one. I was surprised we got them because we never sold the new versions--they were sold at the bigger stores.

Did you explain to him the reason the saw was reconditioned was b/c the last guy didn't believe you either...And just remember it takes all kind to make this wonderful world go round, especially in retail sales...:dizzy:...LOL

And was giving him a few pointers. I may as well have been talking to a brick wall. He seemed to think I was crazy.

He was buying a reconditioned Homelite. He said "What oil ratio do you use, 16:1?" I replied that no, modern saws use 50:1, and that the oil is much superior than when people ran 30 weight oil.

He says "I just use the same stuff I use in my boat--it's cheap." and grinned like he was being smart. I said that is TCW rated oil, and although some brands say you can use it on the packaging, it's not recommended by saw manufacturers and will damage you saw over time. I told him that it's designed for water cooled engines that don't run nearly as hot as chainsaws. Finally, I told him that because of methanol in the modern fuels, gas will absorb water out of the air because methanol is hygroscopic, so don't mix any more gas than you can use in a month's time.

He smirked and looked at me like I was a nutcase. Seems that some morons have the preconceived notion that anyone working in retail is an idiot, and that's what they expect. It does no good to give them good information, because they're going to discount it anyway. Easier to just play the part of a drooling moron. And people wonder why they don't get good service. . .

Space, maybe if you drag one foot when you walk, and slur your speech somewhat when you articulate this critical information, people will listen to you, because they'll feel as though they are among their peer group....

Maybe they should start a website called "People of Home Despot," just like "People of Wal-Mart." (Really, somebody did that, and it is something else.:dizzy:)

It's amazing what people seem to think they know. Fact is, it's a supreme act of character and judgment to question your own knowledge. When I find a guys who really listens, compares something with his own knowledge honestly, then makes a good judgment, I figure I'm talking to a guy who is about 2 out of 10. It's not a crime to be inexperienced, it's just very bad when you don't even know it.

Truthfully, though, I've had more than a few experts tell me some pretty messed up stuff. Trying to figure out just who is worth listening to and who isn't is a task in itself.

If I were you, Space, I wouldn't bother going to bed with that stuff bothering you.... life is too short. You find some really good eggs out there, but most people are pretty goofy. Play your own game well and you'll do just fine!

Last edited:
And was giving him a few pointers. I may as well have been talking to a brick wall. He seemed to think I was crazy... Finally, I told him that because of methanol in the modern fuels, gas will absorb water out of the air because methanol is hygroscopic, so don't mix any more gas than you can use in a month's time... Seems that some morons have the preconceived notion that anyone working in retail is an idiot, and that's what they expect. It does no good to give them good information, because they're going to discount it anyway. Easier to just play the part of a drooling moron. And people wonder why they don't get good service. . .

"methanol"???

You must mean ethanol!

I feel for ya Space, I really do, a person does not have to be in retail to experience those things man. I am just a dumbass old mechanic and customers look at me in a similar fashion, like ,WTF does he know and have smelly attitudes that go along with their superior feelings.The shoe is on the other foot when they need me to fix their Fubars and neglected equipment, that`s when ya can hit em where it really hurts.
Pioneerguy600

I feel for ya Space, I really do, a person does not have to be in retail to experience those things man. I am just a dumbass old mechanic and customers look at me in a similar fashion, like ,WTF does he know and have smelly attitudes that go along with their superior feelings.The shoe is on the other foot when they need me to fix their Fubars and neglected equipment, that`s when ya can hit em where it really hurts.
Pioneerguy600

Yup, there's a large segment of society exactly like that.

I wasn't annoyed that he disagreed with me--that doesn't bother me. What irritated me was the fact that he had that look in his eyes like he wasn't even going to bother to address the issue. He didn't vocally disagree with me. Just a smirk and "is that so?" Not really anything you can do in a case like that.

I was also annoyed why he even asked about oil ratio if he was just going to run his boat oil at whatever ratio in it anyway.

I wasn't annoyed that he disagreed with me--that doesn't bother me. What irritated me was the fact that he had that look in his eyes like he wasn't even going to bother to address the issue. He didn't vocally disagree with me. Just a smirk and "is that so?" Not really anything you can do in a case like that.

I was also annoyed why he even asked about oil ratio if he was just going to run his boat oil at whatever ratio in it anyway.

The joke's on him anyways when he fries his saw and/ or trashes it to the point where it won't even cut and has to buy another one..:)

All ya can do is tell them what you feel is the best answer to their questions and let them go and do as they wish. If it were not for people like them there would be way less work for guy`s like me. The majority of machinery owners don`t maintain their equipment properly and cannot fix it properly, I actually like them kinds of people. Get calls like, my saw hiccups when I pull it over, what should I do, answer, bring it over I fix er good for ya. LOL.
Pioneerguy600

I was in a local shop yesterday when a guy walks in with a McCulloch 610. He said the saw wouldn't cut right so he wanted to buy a ms390. His 610 had a safety chain on it that was about half gone, The rakers looked like they had never been lowered. The shop owner was with another customer so I started giving the guy a few pointers on chain maintenance and chain selection. He said the 610 was hard to start. Pulled out the fuel filter, it looked like it was the original and it was in bad shape. He wanted to trade his saw in, I talked him in to keeping it as a backup. When the shop owner got to him he suggested he get a rebuilt Jonsered 670 he had instead of the ms310. He was asking 75 dollars less for the 670. The guy kept asking me what I thought but wouldn't listen to the shop owner. I don't know if it was because I was giving him pointers while he was waiting or he thought the guy was just trying to sell him something,

And you better have told him to buy the 670...:clap:

I told him I didn't want him to buy the 670. I have a guy that is supposed to buy either my ms192t or ms200, then I'm going back for the 670. I did tell him if it was me I would buy the 670. For him I thought he should buy the Makita 6401 that had a new topend for about half the price of the ms390. Then spend some money on extra chains and maybe a 24 inch bar to go along with the 20 that was on it. I even offered to take my 029 and 2077 to his place and let him cut with them and see the difference. That is as close to a ms390 and 670 as I have. My 029 has a muffler mode which should get it a little closer to the 390. I had to leave before he made up his mind.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back