Stihl MS 261 VS Husqvarna 346 XP VS Dolmar PS 5105

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Practical is not any fun, how can a guy like me make a decision on a saw without reading hundreds of threads that argue over the finer points on each model? The dealers around here know almost nothing about the models, I would be lost without this site.

I love the 346XP NE by the way. I had a bad shoulder last year, and I was able to cut my wood all season with the 346 without aggravating the injury. It can buck decent size wood when asked to, even if it really is designed as a limbing saw.

My only complaint is, if you set the 346 down when it is running, it often flops over on its side. Not sure why that bothers me, but it does. Really great saw to run.

Last edited:
Practical is not any fun, how can a guy like me make a decision on a saw without reading hundreds of threads that argue over the finer points on each model? The dealers around here know almost nothing about the models, I would be lost without this site.

I love the 346XP NE by the way. I had a bad shoulder last year, and I was able to cut my wood all season with the 346 without aggravating the injury. It can buck decent size wood when asked to, even if it really is designed as a limbing saw.

My only complaint is, if you set the 346 down when it is running, it often flops over on its side. Not sure why that bothers me, but it does. Really great saw to run.

You're right, the saw is much more than a limbing saw. When I bought my
first 346xp 10 years ago, I thought it was a small, high performance
firewood saw and have used it as such. Was having back and tendinitis
trouble back then and needed light weight. I got better, but kept using the
little saw. I have no use for a limbing saw, never heard of such until I found
this place.:) I do cut up the limbs, but also the whole tree with the little saw.

Yes, it will roll over sometimes, cause it's bottom it so slim.
Never has bothered me. :cheers:

My only complaint is, if you set the 346 down when it is running, it often flops over on its side. Not sure why that bothers me, but it does.
That would bother the hell out of me. That's something you wouldn't notice in the showroom, either. Good info !

That would bother the hell out of me. That's something you wouldn't notice in the showroom, either. Good info !

Mine doesn't do it on level ground, but will on a slope, clutch side downhill. I rarely set it down while running. Not a problem for me, the slimness and light weight are the payoff...
There is no such thing as perfect! :cheers:

Not that simple in some woods. Sorry to turn this into a filter debate but I've posted a few vids on Youtube with some of our dead hardwoods and have received so many "sharpen your chain" comments it makes me laugh. Even when I've plainly stated it was brand new, out of the box chain :)

I just meant it as a joke and I know there are actually situations for a fine dust. It is just a running joke here especially for newbs.

The M14, I loved that weapon, and the M16, a POS compared to the 14.

Jtheo, You're from the deep south, you mean like the deep south in the movie "little nicky"?:devil:[/QUOTE]

Didn't see that movie, but the Deep South, like in Alabama, once the Capital of the Confederacy.

Last edited:
Hey man, whichever saw you do get consider gettin it ported. The 346 ports out awesome! Its like they say, that once you run a ported saw you will not want a stock saw anymore. Ive found that to be very true.........

Hillbilly22,
Do you know where I can find info, book or some specifics on how to port a 346 XP. You say that once you go ported you don't go back...I tend to believe that.:msp_w00t:

Just remember though Sawtroll when you make comments, as with many other well respected members here people listen. There are also newer Australian members here that listen as well, and to be honest, if they listened to most filtration comments on this forum they would be buying saws equipped with filter setups that they will be disappointed with. This is not just a high rainfall, softwood, forestry forum where people deal only with woodchips the size of their head. I mean I read all the hype here about Husky filtration systems yet both of my 390XP's have to be oiled to keep dust out, and not even dead Redgum but green Casuarina which has monstrous particles compared to Redgum and doesn't even rate on the bad wood radar normally! This is with the HD filter setup too.

If you've never had problems with your 5100-S filter but have to frequently clean it on the inside I'd say you do actually have problems?

Not that simple in some woods. Sorry to turn this into a filter debate but I've posted a few vids on Youtube with some of our dead hardwoods and have received so many "sharpen your chain" comments it makes me laugh. Even when I've plainly stated it was brand new, out of the box chain :)

We'll wait and see what the 346XP's replacement weighs when Husky goes strato. I think weight and balance between models are highly overrated on 50cc saws - lets be honest, they're all lightweights. My opinion only but if people think a few ounces are going to ruin their day they probably shouldn't be running saws. Weight distibution does however make a noticable difference on top handles when using one handed but with two hands on the saw you'd never notice. Everybody on this forum could run either a 260, 346, 5100-S, and 261 for the same number of hours in a day and not be any worse for wear. You may find a preference from one saw to the other in regard to power, cutting ability etc, even sound, but balance is highly subjective. To me my 5100-S feels good, and the 260 I played with felt good too. I'm sure a 346 would be lovely and I may even get a grin picking up a 261 :) In fact a 261 is on my shortlist and "may" even replace the 5100-S one day.

Maybe my thoughts don't count though as when I use my 3120 every saw on earth feels light :) (OK, maybe not the old metal ones ;) )

Wow some one who actually cuts wood.........:msp_smile::msp_smile:

Last edited:
Jtheo, You're from the deep south, you mean like the deep south in the movie "little nicky"?:devil:

Didn't see that movie, but the Deep South, like in Alabama, once the Capital of the Confederacy.[/QUOTE]

Little nicky(Adam Sandler) is the son of the devil(Harvey Keitel) and when he is shipped to earth by his dad..some chick asks him where he's from (his mouth is all crooked and he has a funny accent). So Nicky after some reflection says "yeah! I am from the South, the deep South" (and that cracks him up) You just have to see the movie. It's a goofy but the scene when they get high with his 2 worshippers in the semi gay roomate's apartment has some really funny moments.:cheers::

Oregone

Stop on over by Russo power ...You might just get a great deal on a Husky or Stihl....

I checked Russo in Schiller park on line...no mention of the MS261 or the 346 XP. I feel loyal to the A1 repair store in Elgin since the guy spent so much time with me already plus I know that $460 for a 346 XP is a decent deal. This guy needs to make a profit to make a living and if he makes the extra effort, he totally deserves my business. As a matter of fact, I highly recommend this place..they sell lawn equipment and repair it. It's him, his wife and his father in law running a small place off the beaten path. Nice people, you'll like doing business there.

I checked Russo in Schiller park on line...no mention of the MS261 or the 346 XP. I feel loyal to the A1 repair store in Elgin since the guy spent so much time with me already plus I know that $460 for a 346 XP is a decent deal. This guy needs to make a profit to make a living and if he makes the extra effort, he totally deserves my business. As a matter of fact, I highly recommend this place..they sell lawn equipment and repair it. It's him, his wife and his father in law running a small place off the beaten path. Nice people, you'll like doing business there.

Russo has awesome prices ..My sis live's in that area and I get free delivery too WI...LOL

Husqvarna 346xp cat muffler?

Yesterday i purchased a new husqvarns 346xp e-tech with a .325 20" bar (09)model. I had intended to get the non cat version but alas the dealer made me such a deal i could not pass it up $410.00. Can someone tell me if it is possible to remove the muffler and take the cat out? any ideas.

Yesterday i purchased a new husqvarns 346xp e-tech with a .325 20" bar (09)model. I had intended to get the non cat version but alas the dealer made me such a deal i could not pass it up $410.00. Can someone tell me if it is possible to remove the muffler and take the cat out? any ideas.

https://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=HVP+544+02+83+02&catID=1876

3Sawtroll says it does not matter wether you mount it with 2 or 3 screws but anyway, this unit says that it's fit for the 346XP anyway so you should be good. I think he knows what he is talking about because up there in Norway, when they are not busy cutting trees, or when the winter is too harsh outside, they are busy sharing their experience on the web, lots and lots of experience...it's all good for us, the juniors who need to learn. If you want to keep your muffler unit, check out this site where a guy takes a dolmar muffler apart to remove the cat et TIG weld it back together...one of the coolest thread ever on this site. Pictures tell a lot. BTW...$410 is $50 less than the best deal I found so that should cover for the muffler replacement.:smile-big:

Last edited:
Russo has awesome prices ..My sis live's in that area and I get free delivery too WI...LOL

You suffer from Computer Aided Design?
I use solidworks all day long so that's what cad is for me.
I don't get it. What is CAD suffering?

Back