Undecided MS 362 or Husky 365

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Houghton

Reaction score
Anyone
Could use your input. Trying to decided whether to buy a new Stihl MS 363. Have a Husky 365. Stihle Data shows Ms 362 to be lighter, faster chain speed and less vibration with same BHP. Anyone got experience enough with both saws to help me decide.
Over ease of working on either saw could it be the deciding factor?

Houghton

Save the money you would spend on the Stihl and throw a Husky 372XPW top end on your 365. You will then have speed and torque that the Stihl could not come close to matching. If you really want to go hog wild send out the 372 top end to be ported.

I believe that the 365 could be upgraded to a 371/2 with an aftermarket cylinder for just over $100. The antivibe should be very similar and the weight is real close as well. For power to weight I doubt very seriously that the 362 would be able to compete with 365/upgraded piston and cylinder. If you do a search for 365 upgrade there should be several threads that give specifics. That being said a lot of people around here love there 362's and they will probably be around soon. I've never run one, so I'll let them comment.

Edit: Freakin :censored:, I get beat to the punch every time.
:agree2:

Depends on how much you want to pay for minute differences in paper specs....:givebeer:

I suggest you at least wait for the 562xp to appear, before making a decition regarding the MS362, the info so far indicates that it will be lighter, and have more power - time will tell.....

The most cost-effective solution seem to be turning your 365 into a 372xp! :rockn:

thanks

Thanks
But have done all the High Output and Stroker work on the street stuff and It Is all good. But always end up doing the next big repair and [ALL I REALLY WANT IS TO JUST CUT WOOD WITH A RELIABLE SAW.)
I know some young guns who will be Hot for your Info.
Houghton

Thanks
But have done all the High Output and Stroker work on the street stuff and It Is all good. But always end up doing the next big repair and [ALL I REALLY WANT IS TO JUST CUT WOOD WITH A RELIABLE SAW.)
Houghton

I'll probably get chastised for saying this, but I doubt you will ever beat a new Stihl for reliability and dealer support.

I've owned both both are good reliable saws. Around here the 365 is around 600$, and the MS362 is 670$. Both will make you an excellent saw for years to come, check out the various local dealers, see who treats you the best, and spend your money there. Support a good local dealer, regardless of what color their saws are.

Thanks
Houghton

putting a 70cc top-end on a 365 is not the same as getting 400hp out of a 2 liter 4 hole. the 365 and 372 are essentially the same saw, save the displacement. the bottom of the 365 is already engineered to handle a larger top.

:agree2:
putting a 70cc top-end on a 365 is not the same as getting 400hp out of a 2 liter 4 hole. the 365 and 372 are essentially the same saw, save the displacement. the bottom of the 365 is already engineered to handle a larger top.
I did it with my 365, it was an easy job and works great!:greenchainsaw:

Never used a 365. But I finally got a chance to try out a 362. Used it all day cutting out a bunch of cherry trees from an old fenceline (didnt hit wire even once). That is a very nice saw. First stihl strato I've used. I thought it was very well balanced and forgiving on the operator. I must have one now.

The weight is the same as far as I know.... My 2165 is 13lb and the 362 is 13lb as well. I see it like this, you will save some $ with the 365, you can bolt on different BB kits, you have 2 options the OEM kit for the 372, or the BB kit from baileys. If you do that, your saw will handle much larger wood with ease. I have a 22" on my 2165(same as 365) right now and I have had all 22" sunk in wood many times before, and it handles it well. I would like to put a BB on it, but I think it would be wise to wait for the warranty to end first.

Anyone
Could use your input. Trying to decided whether to buy a new Stihl MS 363. Have a Husky 365. Stihle Data shows Ms 362 to be lighter, faster chain speed and less vibration with same BHP. Anyone got experience enough with both saws to help me decide.
Over ease of working on either saw could it be the deciding factor?

Houghton

Houghton, what is you ultimate goal here? Is your current 365 getting tired (worn out) or are you just looking at getting another saw? If you're looking for another saw than that would be a fine choice. If your 365 is wearing down, get the 372 OEM jug from Bailey's and laugh all the way to the bank. I've heard that the aftermarket (non OEM) big-bore kits can be kind of hit or miss, but I don't know anybody personally who's ever installed one so I can't say positively. On the other hand I've heard nothing but positive things about the OEM jugs. You could do the same thing with an 029 or 031; put an 039 jug on it and presto you have an 039. They're all the same chassis ( or at least they used to be). My 0.02c:popcorn:

-Anthony VA - What is a Stihl Strato? I'm assuming a different cylinder head design? I haven't had the opportunity to run one yet, but a friend has one in Oklahoma and loves it. I've just got to figure out a way to steal it from him for 5 minutes to see what the fuss it about. He say it rips through dirty honey locust using semi-chisel. I'd love to see what it would do with a 16" or 18" bar and full chisel in Blackjack Oak,...:monkey:

Latest posts

Back