Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well this project has been a long time coming. Two parts saws, and many hours of procrastination later, I now have one running Makita 6401 of my own. Thanks to @Dahmer for supplying the saw and lots of advice on how to fix the issues with the bearings. One main bearing lost the cage retainer and decided to blow out the seal and spin in the case, and the other was not far behind. New bearings, seals, and a case gasket later, I have a running saw. Piston and cylinder were scored, but I cleaned it up with some acid on the cylinder and sandpaper of the piston and it seems to be doing ok so far. Have a bar and chain installed now and will put it in some wood tomorrow. Want to get some time in on it to see if the p&c fix will hold and if my fix to the bearings will work and keep it from spinning. Link is just a video of the first start and a rough tune to get it to idle.

Well this project has been a long time coming. Two parts saws, and many hours of procrastination later, I now have one running Makita 6401 of my own. Thanks to @Dahmer for supplying the saw and lots of advice on how to fix the issues with the bearings. One main bearing lost the cage retainer and decided to blow out the seal and spin in the case, and the other was not far behind. New bearings, seals, and a case gasket later, I have a running saw. Piston and cylinder were scored, but I cleaned it up with some acid on the cylinder and sandpaper of the piston and it seems to be doing ok so far. Have a bar and chain installed now and will put it in some wood tomorrow. Want to get some time in on it to see if the p&c fix will hold and if my fix to the bearings will work and keep it from spinning. Link is just a video of the first start and a rough tune to get it to idle.

I'm sure glad to see I'm not the only one to work on chainsaws at the ground level.. Getting down is not the problem for gravity does its part, but fighting the same principal getting up is becoming a problem. Yet, I still do it.. Nice job on the DOLMAR.

Well success was short lived. Got a decent tune down and got it in some wood. Was running fairly well until I decided to shut it off and do a warm start. Absolutely no compression haha. So that was that. Gonna re test the pressure/vac and then I know if it was the p/c that failed. Suspecting that considering it was scored good before I cleaned it up and reinstalled it.

Well success was short lived. Got a decent tune down and got it in some wood. Was running fairly well until I decided to shut it off and do a warm start. Absolutely no compression haha. So that was that. Gonna re test the pressure/vac and then I know if it was the p/c that failed. Suspecting that considering it was scored good before I cleaned it up and reinstalled it.
That's exactly what happened on a customers Husky.. Ran maybe a third tank through it. Ran fine.. Start up? Nothing!!. Haven't figured the problem out yet, do to time restraints, but I shall.

Now I have a big problem... Trying to pull the flywheel off my Homie 1050. Crank nut is OFF.. (Not that senile yet) I've done everything that is possible.. SStill won't pop.. What am I missing? Set screw?..IMG_20180805_104219.jpg IMG_20180805_104109.jpg

Put the nut back on and leave it loose, that will keep parts from flying when it does pop.

Put a lot of tension on the puller, then supporting the saw by the puller give the puller a sharp rap directly on the end of the threaded rod. They will usually come free if you give it an adequate rap.

I would also say that adding a few more hinges may help...

Mark

Put the nut back on and leave it loose, that will keep parts from flying when it does pop.

Put a lot of tension on the puller, then supporting the saw by the puller give the puller a sharp rap directly on the end of the threaded rod. They will usually come free if you give it an adequate rap.

I would also say that adding a few more hinges may help...

Mark
Mark... Kinda any port in a storm. That I shall try.. I think I've been just giving her love taps.. No more mister nice guy

Well do to the older Husqvarna saws being priced out of sight I decided to go back to collecting other brands. I picked up two partners and one 10-10 McCullough today. My little collection is growing. I have no homies or pioneers yet.

What saws do you collectors collect?

BFDBH! Big Friggin Dead Blow Hammer. LOL
I think it moved about 3/1000 th. Until I popped a hinge straight up, and scared the beJesus out of my dog.. It's an easy out time now.. Broke the bolt in the flywheel.. I know this chore. This will be the 3rd one. Maybe TECH 5 bolts.. Such a thing?.. Anyway I goopped it up and will tackle it after work.. Thanks for the help.. I'm not being sarcastic.. I think I've been too nice to this flywheel

Dead blow won't help, you need a sharp rap to move it. Use a steel hammer like a ball peen, the face is just a bit softer to resist chipping. Never use a claw hammer for striking a chisel or other steel object as the face can chip and the flying chip will be just like a piece of shrapnel from a bomb. Claw hammers are fine for nails since the nail is pretty soft material.

Mark

I think it moved about 3/1000 th. Until I popped a hinge straight up, and scared the beJesus out of my dog.. It's an easy out time now.. Broke the bolt in the flywheel.. I know this chore. This will be the 3rd one. Maybe TECH 5 bolts.. Such a thing?.. Anyway I goopped it up and will tackle it after work.. Thanks for the help.. I'm not being sarcastic.. I think I've been too nice to this flywheel
Maybe a little heat to the flywheel will expand it enough to break it loose?

Well do to the older Husqvarna saws being priced out of sight I decided to go back to collecting other brands. I picked up two partners and one 10-10 McCullough today. My little collection is growing. I have no homies or pioneers yet.

My collection is just a random smattering of saws I picked up cheap locally for the most part, although I have bought anfew off of the site. I have a couple of mac's, couple of homies, and a rebranded poulan as well as some newer saws. I honestly have more than I can keep running right now as the focus of my time and funds has shifted more into other tools welding and machining related.

I couldn't move a primary gear once it was on a tapered shaft. My puller was too small. I put a larger two jaw puller with a impact gun and she popped off.

My family got me a workbench for my birthday.
6c9be2e53f550cd93b589d063ac44016.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got two Macs, everything else is Poulan. I think I might have inherited the Homelites my son inlaw has been collecting, except a low use SXLA 12. After he got three more Homies, he pushed them off on me. I'm not a big Homie person but I might try and get the bow saw running. Can't remember the model, just remember it having a chrome piece around the starter recoil with holes in it.

Steve

Now I have a big problem... Trying to pull the flywheel off my Homie 1050. Crank nut is OFF.. (Not that senile yet) I've done everything that is possible.. SStill won't pop.. What am I missing? Set screw?..View attachment 667081 View attachment 667082
When you get that set back up with a lot of pressure on it, smack the forcing screw with a ball pen hammer, that should pop it off.

Steve

Latest posts

Back