What octane fuel and what ratio do you use in your saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The simpler the fuel formula the better - KISS.

Regular and 40:1 for run of the mill saws. Mid-grade and the same oil ratio for mildly ported saws with thin base gaskets. Radical ports and high comp need premium.

All the octane additives above regular cause the flame front to slow down and that may not be a good thing in a high winding 2 stroke. Complete fast combustion without any residual flame in the exhaust port (or minimized where possible) is the best for power and longevity. Delayed combustion can mess with transfer timing and create other issues. Run the lowest grade fuel your saw will tolerate for best performance and cleanest combustion.

For real, you run 87 octane for regular non ported saws? Have you found any that don't run well on 87?

Seems that put a twist in your knickers. Just trying to avoid wheel-reinvention. A wee search or two should have answered all your questions, inasmuch as they could be answered. Beyond that, things degenerate. RTFM.

WTH are "cherrios"?

Cheerios my bad:dizzy: Yeah did upset me a little but yesterday was a bad day for me so I'm sorry. I was unable to find anything on 100 octane. I just wanted to know if 100 was ok without high comp. then I just added the oil mix. Seems like there's interest in this thread?

I have found my little craftsman tiller does not like anything but 93 octane at 40:1 with Poulan Synthetic mix...finicky little b*****d.
My 041s will run on about anything, but lately they have the 93 mix

I like to mix 2 gallons of premium with 2 gallons of kerosene and 2 gallons of diesel fuel. I then mix Amsoil at 150:1 and throw in a dash of MMO for good measure.

You'll be fine with 100 octane, but you don't need it. Even 50:1 is probably fine, but I recommend at least 40:1, and actually prefer and run 32:1 myself. BTW, a ported 460 should turn more than 14,500, but every saw is different. You have to tune a modded saw by ear. There's no way around it.

Whew! Glad to see this after your 150:1 comment...

Well, you see, the lubricity of the kerosene and diesel, combined with the MMO, reduce the need for oil;)

Not only that! I'm sure that Brad's 150:1 Miracle Mix with the kerosene, diesel fuel and all, if used exclusively will tremendously extend the life of your saw! You'll be hard pressed to wear out a saw that you never get started..... :msp_razz:

I use 1100 AV L ( Air Plane ) gas in all my saws mixed with Amsoil Race mix oil at 50:1. Runs good :)

I run 93 with Stihl Ultra at 50:1, I used to run 110 to 114 Race Fuel with Amsoil Dominator also at 50:1 since that is what I had for my Race sleds, Used to smell real good.

I have also used Avgas Low Lead and Dominator.

Zogger to get 89 Octane a lot of stations mix 87 and 93 right at the pump there isn't a separate tank, Not sure if that is all stations but most.

Out here on the left coast we can't get anything without MTBE or some other additive. No airports around that will fill jugs. Marina gas is so water wet it ain't worth it. So it's street pump gas and 2T EGD/API-TC oil and away we go. If the saw don't like it, It'll have to tell me and I'll tune around it. Most likely take a tiny bit of spark advance away... But, so far all my saws run fine. Even the big bore kit'd Husky :)

OBTW - the more oil you mix, the lower your actual octane rating. So it's 40:1 for me. Burnt a motor or two back in the day experimenting with 50:1, so I ain't going there again :(

MBTE, lacking ethanol's strong propensity to absorb water out of the air, is far less problematic from an engine life standpoint than ethanol.

Understood, that's why we get away with it. But Calif only custom gas as dictated by the AIr Board is still pricey, stinky and hard on other stuff.

We are more than $0.25 above national average. Runs OK and today I could see Mt Diablo from the west side of SF Bay - you could not do that in the "good old days".

I run 93 with Stihl Ultra at 50:1, I used to run 110 to 114 Race Fuel with Amsoil Dominator also at 50:1 since that is what I had for my Race sleds, Used to smell real good.

I have also used Avgas Low Lead and Dominator.

Zogger to get 89 Octane a lot of stations mix 87 and 93 right at the pump there isn't a separate tank, Not sure if that is all stations but most.

wow, I didn't know that! That's interesting.

I've always used high test on my theory that from right after it is refined and heads out to the stations it is losing octane and other goodies, whatever vaporizes the easiest, but should be in there. So, say you start at 93 octane, how long before it is 90, or less than that? I can't answer that question, but it must be happening.

If you look at the wood stacks, what you get cut and done with a gallon of mix, the difference in price between high test and regular is so small as to be insignificant.

wow, I didn't know that! That's interesting.

I've always used high test on my theory that from right after it is refined and heads out to the stations it is losing octane and other goodies, whatever vaporizes the easiest, but should be in there. So, say you start at 93 octane, how long before it is 90, or less than that? I can't answer that question, but it must be happening.

If you look at the wood stacks, what you get cut and done with a gallon of mix, the difference in price between high test and regular is so small as to be insignificant.

A fuel rep from sunoco explained to me that non ethanated is good for a year , whereas ethanated thirty days due to phase separation stabilized sixty max in air tight containers . The only reason new saw dealers say use 93 w ethanol 10% is to keep the combustion chamber temps cooler then 87 e 10 .

Latest posts

Back