What Saw(s) Should I Get?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CTYank said 441's are junk so I removed them from consideration. ;)

Seriously though I know very little about 440/441/460's. Open to hearing more from those who own(ed) any of these saws.

Do not own a 441, do not see many used ones, usually they are in the + $600.00 range if they look decent.

My personal opinion would be, nice saw nothing fancy. Seemed kind of pricey new. Right now I do even know anyone running one I do not think.

The 1128 series Stihls are more my style. The 044/440 is a fairly narrow long 70cc saw. Makes decent power pretty easy to toss around. For me cutting firewood it never gets used, not much wow factor in my opinion. If am going to run a 1128 it will be a 460, just enough extra to leave the 044s on the shelf. Little bulkier feel but I prefer it to the 044s.

Personally the difference between a 460 and a 064(1122) in terms of size and weight has me preferring the 064 but they are getting really hard to find in decent shape so the 460 became the default.

Currently using a 365(16"HT) and a 372(24") but will swap out in the fall. Nice saws, nothing fancy, decent power, pretty similar to the 044s except smoother, way less rear handle vibes. They seem bulkier to me than the 044s. The Husks seem flippier to me I just have a hard time getting used to it.

Usually run a 18-24" bar on them for firewood.

Since January I have been making an effort to run the wee size saws, probably not going to be able to use the 281 and 394 this winter.

For the most part the only saws that stand out in this size range as true duds are the Echos, the Dolmar 6400 is somewhat of a dud because of the weight but is a really nice saw with plenty of grunt, gets even better with the bigger P/C. I do not own any of those Dolmars, might still have an Echo 670.

Since we are talking about spending other people money and encouraging the purchasing of saws I recommend not turning down any minty all OEM Jonsered 670 Champs if one happens upon one.

CatBuster mentioned vibes and I tend to over look them but if a person wants a smooth saw the 1128s are not at all the best choice, skip the Echos and sadly the 670.

Relative to a demo hammer the 1128s are not bad.

CTYank said 441's are junk so I removed them from consideration. ;)

Seriously though I know very little about 440/441/460's. Open to hearing more from those who own(ed) any of these saws.

I got to try a 461, it almost came home with me based on a recommendation to get the 441 from a good friend who cuts every day. Either would have been awesome for me.

The dealer didn't have a 441. I needed the saw ASAP and I ended up taking home the 661. I couldn't feel the difference in weight at the shop, and the option to use a much longer bar is really helpful for me as I'm 6'2. They also cut me a deal that made it almost the same price for either. I'm extremely happy with my decision but I don't think anything from the 4xx and up could dissapoint you at all. Especially if you have it dialed up at some point.

Beware of people who say the weight of the saw does not matter, then spend lots of extra money on light weight bars!!!!

And, for better or worse, I now have a better understanding of where some of you guys are coming from.

Dont beat around the bush like a flower and imply things mike..its weak.

You didnt answer any question i asked you ?

When did i insult anyone that cuts firewood ?..i cut firewood too..i tried to give your buddy here some real world advice...the saw is a small fraction of firewood chores..fact.

Why do you get so defensive over chainsaws ?

Where did you pull out that i feel as though im superior to anyone that cuts firewood ? ..i give full time firewood cutters credit..thats some ball bustin work.

im no better than anyone..i dont use my saws as a tool to prove i have a penis...i dont have to , im not that insecure.

id get along with you alot better if you didnt act like a little girl over the dumbest ****..im a pretty funny easy goin guy.

Ryan, you make rude statements towards me so often I just often ignore them, that is why I did not respond, but since you asked, I suppose this is your idea of a compliment?

"why do firewood cutters who run their saw once a week/month to cut a tree down care about weight so much ?" So you didn't say anything demeaning about fire wood cutters, right? I call BS.

Ryan, you make rude statements towards me so often I just often ignore them, that is why I did not respond, but since you asked, I suppose this is your idea of a compliment?

"why do firewood cutters who run their saw once a week/month to cut a tree down care about weight so much ?" So you didn't say anything demeaning about fire wood cutters, right? I call BS.

Mike!..... Your 044 needs some breathing room. Quit smothering it! Don't forget the HD2 and a dual port cover :D

No i didnt..i asked a question and wanted to give your buddy some sound advice in the process...wheres the demeaning part ? ..why dont you come call me or my dad a blowhard to my face on those cute pedal bikes you ride and see the result...now that was demeaning....clear enough ?

You like to throw insults at people but you cant take them back at all...or you imply things...your a strange ass dude..

Like i said..id get along with you alot better if you werent such a defensive little girl over the absolute dumbest sh!t..your not really my flavor..but we may even get along..i could tell you about some pretty funny stuff..you may even laugh.

Arent you a little old for all of this ?

Oh..and yes..unless you cut a an absolute sh!t ton of firewood the weight difference between a 440 and 460 is a wash if your even remotely physically fit when you factor in all the work involved with firewood.

Im all about the best tool for the job as most people are , i like to work with whats left of my brain instead of torturing my back..but after a day of loading/splitting and stacking when i crack a beer i dont say to myself..man..i really wish i would have used a saw 5 ounces lighter...AS is a fairytale in the REAL world.

Tried reading the whole thread , but lost interest in doing so over all this forth and back!

For what its worth , I am obviously a Dolmar guy so if I had the need for saws I'd most likely opt for:
Dolmar PS-510x - purely over reviews and opinions from AS members
Dolmar PS-6100 - same as the PS510x
Dolmar PS-7900 - I have this saw and it is captivating. Once I started using this saw I went on a felling/bucking rush and haven't stopped since , I am constantly on a lookout whether someone needs wood bucked up (and I'd do it for the cost of fuel/oil/chain wear).

Alternatively to the Dolmar PS-7900 a PS-6400 upgraded to 79cc's , or a PS-7910 would be acceptable - though I'd at least gut the muffler on a PS-7910.
Also Makita equivalents would be OK.

I am not bashing other saw makes , I just never used anything else then Dolmar! ;)

I am highly interested to try some monster saws like big Stihls (MS880; 088; 090) or the Husqvarna 3120 - problem is nobody got any of those around here , at least nobody I know. :)

To the OP , good luck with Your search and I hope You'll find exactly what You're looking for! :cheers:

A lot of guts from the end of a keyboard Ryan, FYI you do not intimidate me, and I've offered to get together with you in the past, and you are the one who has always turned it down. If you ever want to meet me face to face, I'm the one who goes to GTGs, and I bring my saws so others can run them.

FYI, I did not say anything negative (or at all) about your father, I believe you did, so don't go blaming me for it.

I think your a bully, and I think your upbringing explains why you are a bully, period. But this forum is not for the personal stuff, so let's return to discussing saws.

If you ever want to see how any of my saws run, just let me know, and I'd really like to pull the trigger in you 2172 and 461 to see what they are like. So, if you want it to happen, just say so.

So to you I'm a pencil pusher and ride a cute little bike! You just don't have a clue!

A lot of guts from the end of a keyboard Ryan, FYI you do not intimidate me, and I've offered to get together with you in the past, and you are the one who has always turned it down. If you ever want to meet me face to face, I'm the one who goes to GTGs, and I bring my saws so others can run them.

FYI, I did not say anything negative (or at all) about your father, I believe you did, so don't go blaming me for it.

I think your a bully, and I think your upbringing explains why you are a bully, period. But this forum is not for the personal stuff, so let's return to discussing saws.

If you ever want to see how any of my saws run, just let me know, and I'd really like to pull the trigger in you 2172 and 461 to see what they are like. So, if you want it to happen, just say so.

So to you I'm a pencil pusher and ride a cute little bike! You just don't have a clue!

:laugh: A bully ?.. ive been called alot of things but never a bully..expecially by a guy in his 60s...id give anyone anything .. anytime..ive never picked on anyone in my life..now im 33 and a guy on the internet twice my age calls me a bully..this is too much.

Intimidate you..on the computer ? :laugh:..that would be like pissin in the wind...i wouldnt waste my time.

You think you can outwork alot of blowhard's..who were you referring to ?

You still didnt answer my questions ?

SVK, earlier it seemed as though there was a 2165 in the mix of your saws, if so that is basically the 365/372 platform, did you not like using it? The 2171 was the 372, little more nut for the 24" bar.

SVK, earlier it seemed as though there was a 2165 in the mix of your saws, if so that is basically the 365/372 platform, did you not like using it? The 2171 was the 372, little more nut for the 24" bar.
It was a great saw that I sold to help raise cash for a real estate purchase. Cutting speed was not that much faster than the 550 and it weighed 40 percent more. That's why I want to get into the 70 cc range so I can have a lot more power with the same weight.

Back