What Saw(s) Should I Get?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was a great saw that I sold to help raise cash for a real estate purchase. Cutting speed was not that much faster than the 550 and it weighed 40 percent more. That's why I want to get into the 70 cc range so I can have a lot more power with the same weight.

Okay. If you are going to get the saw modified you might want to contact a few site sponsors as the 2166 is a bargain and becomes a 2172 easily enough. Even if you are not getting it modified right away it is probably still worth looking into.

I do not want to speak for them in anyway but it was a $700.00 MSRP around here with a 24" bar. Grind off some extra from the transfer covers and it became a 2172 engine, it is still missing a couple of accesories but they just add weight. Plus it is red and black.

It was the best deal going for a while, hopefully it is that way.

Am I missing something or are there no Stihl dealers who actively post on AS? I'm very familiar with the reputable Husky/Johnny/Dolmar guys.

They are here, Stihl's company line seems to be a good bit less forgiving than the other brands so they tend to be less vocal about non-local sales.

If you start a thread asking why Stihls breakdown so often they will show up, you could also rant about how Husqvarna is the number one selling brand in the states that seems to have worked in the past.

:laugh: A bully ?.. ive been called alot of things but never a bully..expecially by a guy in his 60s...id give anyone anything .. anytime..ive never picked on anyone in my life..now im 33 and a guy on the internet twice my age calls me a bully..this is too much.

Intimidate you..on the computer ? :laugh:..that would be like pissin in the wind...i wouldnt waste my time.

You think you can outwork alot of blowhard's..who were you referring to ?

You still didnt answer my questions ?

you remember back when i was trolling mike ryan? i got PM's from more then a few members saying they met him at a GTG and said he was a VERY "special" person. it didn't take long for me to realize why that was LOL but anyways. i don't mind mike and don't hold nothing against him even if i bully him once in a while. gotta let him do his thing as he can't help it. really doesn't hurt to troll him a bit though. i find it calms him down a bit after he gets trolled hard for a few days. a forum needs all kinds of characters to be interesting and that's why AS is what it is. i hate most other forums where everyone is just the same old person cracking the same old stupid jokes day in day out. i swear i get bored after no more then an hour then i need to take a month break from it. AS i can visit everyday.

If you start a thread asking why Stihls breakdown so often they will show up, you could also rant about how Husqvarna is the number one selling brand in the states that seems to have worked in the past.

No need to start a thread as everyone already knows those statements are true.

Just kidding!!!

So this Rocket Scientist (WC90) has had over a dozen of them, and can't figure out how to make them run right, and we are supposed to respect his opinion ... NOT:

WC 90 said "IMO the 044 is the most overrated 70cc on here and it is in the bottom 2 of my list. I've owned like 12-14 of them :laugh: I would have kept them if they were as good as some say."

So this Rocket Scientist (WC90) has had over a dozen of them, and can't figure out how to make them run right, and we are supposed to respect his opinion ... NOT:

WC 90 said "IMO the 044 is the most overrated 70cc on here and it is in the bottom 2 of my list. I've owned like 12-14 of them :laugh: I would have kept them if they were as good as some say."
He did not have the new recipe or dual cover with hd2 filter ,he does not know what a good 044 runs like Mike . ;)

Thanks guys. Doesn't look like I can go wrong with any of these saws we've discussed.

So... don't leave us in suspense, what saw are you going to buy?

I was close to getting a 241cm last year and didn't pull the trigger on that pricey little saw when CDN dollar was at par with US$ - now CDN dollar is way down so Stihl products (made in US) way higher price. Good thing I'm in no rush.

BUT - do please keep on buying stuff down there eh! US consumer is evidently 60% to 70% of US GDP. The more you guys spend the better the world does. :D On that note, I think everyone here from the US needs 10 saws! :cheers: :p

I'm also buying a riding lawnmower for my rental property. Hopefully I can pick one up cheap as mowing season is almost over. I've had my fill of spending every free minute over there.
Ahhh yes , the joys of being a landlord :baba: I can relate!

My money says you'll buy a nice 372XP 24" bar! When you run out of wood to cut, you won't have to bend over to trim the hedges at rental property.

of course the practical thing to do would be to get a 365 and add the special sauce, - but compared to a fully badged 372, where's the bragging fun in that! lol

Just don't think too hard about it from here. A quick drive to the dealer , slap down the plastic and it will be over before you know it. You'll be helping out the local economy and all the rest of us at the same time. :happybanana: You can't take it with you - life is short - Buy buy buy! :dancing:

Latest posts

Back