"You Suck" Thread 2018--Pics required!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Freebie.
4ad19fb83ea122b7a2ad348122253f80.jpg

Very early 61. Tilly HS. Pops on a prime.

I haven't been on the "You Suck" thread in a while. I actually tried to get some one else on here by "giving" them 7 of my old Homelites. Including a 100CC Super 1050, an XL 900 series, several XL12's, and a couple others. So, Saturday I went to a local farm auction. The with drawl was so bad that when I saw another Super 1050 in good running condition I had to buy it. The only thing wrong was the choke rod was missing and had a piece of stiff wire with a loop in place. In the same lot was a C51 with good compression. It also has the same choke rod I need for the 1050, so I bought it too. I was playing with one of my 150 Automatics and the recoil spring broke, they had one of those too, got it. When I got home I put a shot of mix in the 1050 carb and it fired up on the first pull. Put gas in the 150 and pulled 4 times with the choke on then it fired right off on the 3rd pull with the choke off. I paid $150 for the Super 1050, $5 for the C51, and $5 for the 150, I'm happy, Joe.
Bx5e9HB.jpg

vR87aqn.jpg

FF96L02.jpg

I haven't been on the "You Suck" thread in a while. I actually tried to get some one else on here by "giving" them 7 of my old Homelites. Including a 100CC Super 1050, an XL 900 series, several XL12's, and a couple others. So, Saturday I went to a local farm auction. The with drawl was so bad that when I saw another Super 1050 in good running condition I had to buy it. The only thing wrong was the choke rod was missing and had a piece of stiff wire with a loop in place. In the same lot was a C51 with good compression. It also has the same choke rod I need for the 1050, so I bought it too. I was playing with one of my 150 Automatics and the recoil spring broke, they had one of those too, got it. When I got home I put a shot of mix in the 1050 carb and it fired up on the first pull. Put gas in the 150 and pulled 4 times with the choke on then it fired right off on the 3rd pull with the choke off. I paid $150 for the Super 1050, $5 for the C51, and $5 for the 150, I'm happy, Joe.
FF96L02.jpg
Hey Joe
I only have a 150, none of the other big boys you got. I found this saw interesting mainly because it seems to be such a tiny saw(43cc) and yet has a full 3/8 chain, not LP. Mine needed a new rubber manifold and I found out with these, that there is a learning curve to work on them. LOL
Actually quite a light saw otherwise, 9lb10oz PHO

Hey Joe
I only have a 150, none of the other big boys you got. I found this saw interesting mainly because it seems to be such a tiny saw(43cc) and yet has a full 3/8 chain, not LP. Mine needed a new rubber manifold and I found out with these, that there is a learning curve to work on them. LOL
Actually quite a light saw otherwise, 9lb10oz PHO
That is kind of why I liked it, that 3/8 chain looks so big on it. When I was working for my Dad, in the 70's and early 80's, we used Super EZ's for climbing saws. He bought one 150 before we switched to Poulan XXV's for our climbing saws. The one that the recoil spring broke on is that first and only 150 he bought.

[album=medium]1877[/album]Picked up a few things for $75 this evening. Everything named is as told to me. Still a newbie...
Efco 136 Grinder, Belsaw 550-1, Oregon breaker and spinner. Need to replace a few parts on just about everything but I think I came out ahead...

Tale of Two Stories. Minor "you suck"candidate
First story:
Cleaning and resorting the garage and work benches. Organizing a 36" bench into my saw & chain work area. Mounted my bench mount chain grinder, then my chain spinner that I made, and then when trying to mount the new oregon chain breaker, I found I did not have any carriage bolts of the correct size. I wanted 7/16 so the squares would fit into the slots...3/8 to small and 1/2 to big. I went to a lot of hardware stores and could not find anyone stocking them. On my way home I was cruising the route I usually come home on. It was trash day and something caught my eye. I stopped, backed up and got out to take a peek. It was a honda generator EM5000SX with the control panel taken off. Owner came over to tell me the story and to see if I wanted help to load it up in the P/U. Motor runs great...no power out...I think mice ate the wires. He is a carpenter... these things run $2800 still today and are pricey to get fixed. Sez "don't need it any more". Thank you have a nice day.
sawbench.jpg
Second story:
On the way home from a machine shop looking to get some parts made. I stop in the the local Stihl shop to ask the mechanic if my 028super which seems to rev up slower than most of the others saws I have, "is that typical". He says yes, not a lot of snap like most others. 165 psi is plenty good and it seems to pull in the cut OK...He says I think I got something for you....hands me a very clean looking Homelite XL12 and declares that it needs crank seals and the guy decided to just get a new saw. He says it runs good but idle goes wacky when put on it's side. A manual oil pumper saw would not sit long before it was in the dumpster. Bar is good and chain needs sharpening. Blows 135psi
Now I have 57 saws.... about 80% were freebee's. Only about 5 I have not got running.
Here they are:
[photo=medium]5110[/photo]

OK, went to another auction today and should rate a little suckage. They had 6 saws but nothing I really wanted. I guy took a Homelite XL12 that looked about new, with warranty card and manuals, for about $50. But I have a pile of XL12's. Another guy took a newer Homelite, in a case, but looked like one of the box store saws, for $35. I've kind of been wanting an old Super EZ and they had one, plus an XL12, and an orange box store saw. The auctioneer said high bid takes choice, I had high bid at $3, so I took the EZ and XL12. Then the deal came along. A brand new, in the box, no oil in the crank case, Briggs 675 series. The exact model on my wood splitter. Got it for $25. I'm a happy camper, Joe.
crY8sFO.jpg

GUzRInl.jpg

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Newbie here , took a chance on fleabay for an 020 avp , was seized rope would not pull , was gonna use it for parts for my saw I've had 15 yrs , pulled the muffler cylinder looked good no scoring. Put a little oil in the plug hole and put a ratchet on the crank and she loosened up , this thing must have sat for years , cleaned her up , carb kit and now this is my good saw and my other is my backup

Got these for free last year. Didn't really get to working on them till now which is why I'm on here. Old craftsman 358 and a Stihl 041.

EF7EF718-CD41-463D-8064-7E3969C8C949.jpeg

The craftsman just needs a working carb (gonna rebuild) and a bar/chain now. I already replaced the fuel line, vent line, and duckbill valve on it. It also needed a mega clean.

6A2D2015-E238-44FF-A859-658041526E60.jpeg

The Stihl 041 needs a new cylinder and piston. I tried starting it last year when I got it after replacing lines and the piston seized and gouged the cylinder. It's been in pieces ever since. Hopefully I remember how to put it back together.

Love the freebies. I've only seen one Pioneer in my life. I was taking a load of scrap in and one of the guys saw my Homelite Super 1050 with 36" bar on the back of my truck. He asked if I like big Homelites, he had one he'd let go for $25. It was locked up so I said no. Then he pulled out a Pioneer 700 and said he would take $25 for it, and it had good compression. Told him if I could have both for $25 I'd take them. The Pioneer went to a member here, forget who got it. I just gave the Homelite Wiz 66 to SVK a couple weeks ago. I try to keep the saws under 20-25 of them, but it's hard, Joe.

Another auction find, $15 in case, Homelite Super 2. Somebody cleaned it up on the outside, packed with grime on the inside. Cleaned it up, dumped old Fuel, rinsed, and added new fuel. Started on 5-6 pulls. Needs a new bar stud. They had 3 washers on the outside so the nut would tighten on good threads. Without the washers the stud is stripped right where the nut tightens, Joe.
z3inedN.jpg

I'll post a pic tomorrow, but I've gotta say up front, I wasn't happy with this purchase. I was at a big auction today and started bidding on a DeWalt 12" mitre saw. This is the big heavy duty one that list for over $800. I started bidding at $25 and won the bid at $75. I thought that would have got a you suck by itself. I stayed another 6 hours bidding on little stuff, and wound up only getting two old axes for $2. I went to the trailer to pay up, and the girl said my bill, with the 12% buyers premium and 6% MD sales tax was $38 dollars. I told here something was wrong, and she said, "no I got the saw for $25 and the two axes for $2". I told here I paid a lot more for the saw and she said, they clearly wrote $25 on the ticket, so that was what she had to charge me. I don't like to make a gain on an innocent persons loss. The seller put that saw there in good faith, the cashier billed me in good faith, but the poor seller got rooked. She said she couldn't just take more money it would mess up all the books. So, by hook or crook, I got a good deal. I hope this doesn't mess up my Karma or soak me in bad JuJu, Joe.

I'll post a pic tomorrow, but I've gotta say up front, I wasn't happy with this purchase. I was at a big auction today and started bidding on a DeWalt 12" mitre saw. This is the big heavy duty one that list for over $800. I started bidding at $25 and won the bid at $75. I thought that would have got a you suck by itself. I stayed another 6 hours bidding on little stuff, and wound up only getting two old axes for $2. I went to the trailer to pay up, and the girl said my bill, with the 12% buyers premium and 6% MD sales tax was $38 dollars. I told here something was wrong, and she said, "no I got the saw for $25 and the two axes for $2". I told here I paid a lot more for the saw and she said, they clearly wrote $25 on the ticket, so that was what she had to charge me. I don't like to make a gain on an innocent persons loss. The seller put that saw there in good faith, the cashier billed me in good faith, but the poor seller got rooked. She said she couldn't just take more money it would mess up all the books. So, by hook or crook, I got a good deal. I hope this doesn't mess up my Karma or soak me in bad JuJu, Joe.
It would be different if they said $75 and you said “No, only $25.” You we’re honest.

Back