Your Experience 500i & 661

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks for all the comments guys, yes I’m only interested in Stihl, I have a great relationship with my dealer who is 2 mins down the road gives me 10% off evert time I go in minimum but they have given me 25% off other times on tools. They’ll also give me freebies and once I didn’t have my wallet but they just said pay when you’re in next. They can get parts in within a day or two of me ordering, and I know all of the guys at the dealer by first name who all go out of their way to help me. No husky dealers here and no one runs them, nothing against them, but everyone I know runs stihls so it’s no surprise I have stuck with them and my experience has been increeible. Anything can change in the future, but I’m set on stihl until they let me down. I’m absolutely brand and dealer loyal.

thanks for all the comments guys, yes I’m only interested in Stihl, I have a great relationship with my dealer who is 2 mins down the road gives me 10% off evert time I go in minimum but they have given me 25% off other times on tools. They’ll also give me freebies and once I didn’t have my wallet but they just said pay when you’re in next. They can get parts in within a day or two of me ordering, and I know all of the guys at the dealer by first name who all go out of their way to help me. No husky dealers here and no one runs them, nothing against them, but everyone I know runs stihls so it’s no surprise I have stuck with them and my experience has been increeible. Anything can change in the future, but I’m set on stihl until they let me down. I’m absolutely brand and dealer loyal.
I'm pretty much in the same boat. There are 5 Husky dealers around me. Nearest one is an hour away. Nearest dealer that has more than 3 items other than oil and trimmer line in stock is almost 3 hours one way away from me. These other guys will order what you want, but never have it in stock. Sure there's the big box stores that sell pretty much only a 235 and 445 only. Those pop up for sale every once in a while around here. Pretty much any Husky worth having used is around a 3 hour one way drive from me.

There's an Echo dealer 15 min from me. I know the head sales guy. He said that I'm ok to buy the used stuff, but don't bother buying new from him. He knows I like to do thing that void warranty. Parts prices are much higher than Stihl, and take about a week or more to get anything.

Stihl has a dealer 16 min from me. If the supplier has the part in stock, and I get my order in before 2pm, chances are very high that I'll have the part next business day.

Tom, get more power! I ran my “big saw to me today” and my wife was helping me load the wood in the tractor bucket. She said “what are you grinning about?” I told her “I have a couple that are 30ish cc, and a 50cc and a 70cc, I just absolutely need a 90cc!” She wanted to know what in the “hell” I would cut on our property that would need a saw that big. I went back to cutting, she just stood there until I answered. I said “my dear you never know when you need more power!” She rolled her eyes and laughed at me. I’m am getting close to convincing her, I can feel it...

Hey Tom, a thought.
You seem to enjoy rebuilding saws and have spent decent money setting yourself up to do so.
Plus don't you really need a big saw, let alone need it NOW.
Why not buy an 064, 066, 660, 661, 084 project? Even an 056 MagII, 070, 076, 090, Contra etc.
If you hunt around and buy wisely (maybe bring in cheap parts saws from the US via seamail) you should be able to build one without breaking the bank and you get your enjoyment/satisfaction from the build without the potential regret of spending $$$$ on a new saw you will never use.

Hey Tom, a thought.
You seem to enjoy rebuilding saws and have spent decent money setting yourself up to do so.
Plus don't you really need a big saw, let alone need it NOW.
Why not buy an 064, 066, 660, 661, 084 project? Even an 056 MagII, 070, 076, 090, Contra etc.
If you hunt around and buy wisely (maybe bring in cheap parts saws from the US via seamail) you should be able to build one without breaking the bank and you get your enjoyment/satisfaction from the build without the potential regret of spending $$$$ on a new saw you will never use.
Fantastic advice!! I have found a 660 for 800, need to view it before saying yay or nay, but I really want to try an m-tronic. So will keep eyes open :)

Honestly I’m leaning towards the 661 because if it’s capacity (that I don’t need of course) and power (that I don’t need of course)

As for working on it, I’m fairly new to it but I have rebuilt a couple of saws from the ground up, just the ms 260 & ms 180. So I’m no expert, and never worked on m-tronic, but willing to learn!

They know where you live. That's never a good sign with CAD. Before you know Stihl will be mailing you their Spring and Fall offers in a very sleek looking envelope. :laugh:
Don't ask how I know though. :oops:

Mtronic 064 is my vote

From a bit of reading, if you can get the parts to physically fit in the saw in thier correct relationships, it may juat be a case of fitting a matched set of 661-cm parts.

The two biggest potential problem i can see are:

1 the heat transer to the coil being different moving the readings of the temp sensor in the coil out of thier normal parameters.

2 if the coil mount points are different, adding new mounts in the correct position on a thin walled magnesium crank case.

Right now I'm really glad i have neither a 064 or a 661cm... the last thing i need is another unfinished project. :)

Latest posts

Back