Your Experience 500i & 661

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, just found you on youtube. TBH I thought your username here on AS was a piss-take (most of the Aussie's I know are masters at it, usually at my expense), but there's such a thing as spoon carving. I'm a bit dim and never knew. Live and learn. Will PM you.

haha I’m a pom. Yes the Aussi humour Is something I’m still getting use to. Very different to the UK!

You chaps have probably already worked it out yourselves, but Tom is a great bloke to do business with, and I would have no hesitation on recommending him and his sharpening products.

And he makes us laugh at his newly found affliction that is CAD.
You’re a gentleman Grant, thank you very much :) yes, CAD has set in well and truly, however I have found the ability to maintain restraint to a certain degree, firstly with your guidance, and also because I’m not the biggest fan of the newer Stihl shape and am restricted by what’s on the used market (not much!) :laugh:

update: just remembered, I had 5 chainsaws at one point and only been interested in this chainsaw business for 5 months. One saw a month? That’s pretty bad actually :laughing:

yes I have cad, but if it makes up for anything, the 4 saws that weren’t working were either free, 20 Aussi or 40 Aussi. Just don’t ask how much fixing them is costing :envy: I’d be saving money buying brand new stihl saws nearly, but that’s no fun!

final update: my denial is a case in point I have CAD...

Another example of typical Aussi humour - you’ll know it as “Starter Fluid”

Here it’s ....
CC6076B2-1054-4D22-8296-A4043C460241.jpeg

you may know it as chilly sauce, aussies know it as

F82FD965-EB20-491F-9462-3E0D62D885EF.jpeg

That’s all fine, but one thing I don’t like is the radio presenters swearing and their sexual jokes. It’s just not what I’m use to, I don’t appreciate it and I’d certainly not want my children hearing it...

The Australian population though, you won’t meet a friendlier, kinder and more helping nation of people anywhere else in the world. Having spent nearly a year travelling all around and through the centre, I have first hand experience and it’s quite incredible.

I have known an Aussie expat. Now I can definetely understand why she left at 19 and hasn't ever looked back. :laugh:

To be honest I am probably about 300 times worse than that, especially when I have to give a good dressdown to somebody on the job. Speaking of which my tea break is over, time to go over and see if somebody needs to be grabbed by the ankles and shaken.

I have known an Aussie expat. Now I can definetely understand why she left at 19 and hasn't ever looked back. :laugh:

To be honest I am probably about 300 times worse than that, especially when I have to give a good dressdown to somebody on the job. Speaking of which my tea break is over, time to go over and see if somebody needs to be grabbed by the ankles and shaken.
Yeah hah, If you haven’t grown up around it, it’s quite a shock.

Or just an honest Brit being conned!

Or it shows the remarkable difference between a Nation of mainly urban dwellers whose idea of a camping trip is caravanning at Blackpool, travelling halfway around the Globe to a Nation of people that might live in a city, but pack a 4X4 and trailer with everything needed to survive self contained for 6 weeks and disappear into the Great Outback, resplendent with snakes, spiders and the odd drop bear, camp in a roof tent 100's of KM from any form of civilization, travelling red dust tracks to get there (not the dual carriageway M1!) and as long as there is an Esky, Barbie and a few trays of XXXX packed in the 4by, not only will they get there and back in one piece- they possibly roadside replaced an axle on the 4X4 without having to call the AA!

Or it shows the remarkable difference between a Nation of mainly urban dwellers whose idea of a camping trip is caravanning at Blackpool, travelling halfway around the Globe to a Nation of people that might live in a city, but pack a 4X4 and trailer with everything needed to survive self contained for 6 weeks and disappear into the Great Outback, resplendent with snakes, spiders and the odd drop bear, camp in a roof tent 100's of KM from any form of civilization, travelling red dust tracks to get there (not the dual carriageway M1!) and as long as there is an Esky, Barbie and a few trays of XXXX packed in the 4by, not only will they get there and back in one piece- they possibly roadside replaced an axle on the 4X4 without having to call the AA!
Travelled both, love both :). I drove 48,000km around Oz and had an amazing time, and did 25,000 km around Europe and it was fantastic. Beauty is everywhere you just have to appreciate it. The Uk’s historic sites, fortresses and castles are some of the best in the world and the country side, ancient woodlands and mountains are breath taking. Relatively, Australia is rather underwhelming with diversity relative to its size. You have to travel many hundreds if not thousands of KM (days) to see a any noticeable diversity.
4A344081-9B83-4993-8E95-DEB2512C748C.jpeg
06C88FD9-A8D7-4002-9A57-4D777D6B769B.jpeg 18265B18-9431-4945-AA4A-DDA6161A85F7.jpeg B2A4EF45-6F07-4CED-A093-CB85A0F3C842.jpeg D42523C4-08EC-4141-AA4D-BF17CA1CB25F.jpeg

Australia is rather underwhelming

That isn't the countryside you are talking about there- that reference refers to their rugby team. ;):ices_rofl:
So, how much longer do you intend to stay living in that underwhelming country before they turf your arse out for defamation? :eek:

OK, I'll buy something but only if you give me your Stihl dealers account number to make the 661 deposit payment to.
Also, ever thought of a small, skinny strop for chainsaw chains?

OK, I'll buy something but only if you give me your Stihl dealers account number to make the 661 deposit payment to.
Also, ever thought of a small, skinny strop for chainsaw chains?
You’ll buy me a 661! Wow kind of you! :laugh:

the problem with chains is the steel most often is not very hard so it won’t hold an edge long anyway, so it’s more a case of time wasted vs the return you’ll get. Also they seem to only make one coarseness or file and you’ll need to go much finer to make the strop really
Sing.

If the chains were harder then it may be worth it if you could have them filed to a much finer grit!

Back