40 cc class saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright, like the arrow! Would this be easier with a grinding wheel and a file touch up or is that to agressive?

Grinding wheel is wonderful. Not much to worry about.

Although I usually just file it like so and maybe a little on the top of the plate.

dolmarsafetyci7qtorxskm.jpg

Grinding wheel is wonderful. Not much to worry about.

Although I usually just file it like so and maybe a little on the top of the plate.

dolmarsafetyci7qtorxskm.jpg

I agree - I've modified a lot of my chain loops to remove the shark fins. It really does not take long on a bench grinder with a properly dressed wheel.

I would not go out of my way to get custom loops of full chisel lo pro - sharpen the readily available semi chisel and chamfer chisel lo pro properly and it is very fast. And it is so easy to file too. Carlton N1 and Oregon 91PX are great chains. The small ramps on 91PX do not get in the way at all. Even the Carlton N1A works fine.

You should be able to order any variant and dl count you want from any dealer, but how long it takes to get it will of course vary.
I go to my Stihl dealer and tell him what I need and he just goes to the back and I have the chain in about 2 minutes and have a short talk with him or his wife in the mean time.

I go to my Stihl dealer and tell him what I need and he just goes to the back and I have the chain in about 2 minutes and have a short talk with him or his wife in the mean time.

You need a new chain or you fancy his wife , haha ;)

I'd MUCH rather have a 241. Way more power than a 242XP. I find the 242 to be highly over rated.

You just need the right "builder" to get the goodie out of the 242xp.:buttkick::D:laugh: (just funnin ya). Seriously though, I found the 241cm too close to the size of my 2153. Hell, it even looked bigger to my eye. And I dont like the flimsy two piece rear handle. With the right grip angle, I believe I could crush it in my palm.;)

@brads2002 ,

I find it looks very well done! I hardly doubt you could have been faster using an angle grinder.

What I find funny in this forum is that everyone believes he needs pro stuff to do homeowner cutting! I would guess that 99% of the beginning homeowner firewooders have never done and never will do a boring cut! And yet everyone is running around on commenting how evil kickback protection chain is....
icon_tra_005.gif

@brads2002 ,

I find it looks very well done! I hardly doubt you could have been faster using an angle grinder.

What I find funny in this forum is that everyone believes he needs pro stuff to do homeowner cutting! I would guess that 99% of the beginning homeowner firewooders have never done and never will do a boring cut! And yet everyone is running around on commenting how evil kickback protection chain is....
icon_tra_005.gif

Need has nothing to do with it, but it is more fun to use nice tools. :D

Ha, exactly. If we didn't care about having nice tools we wouldn't be on this site. Whenever I buy a tool its a long term commitment.

And thank you, glad my grinding looks OK.

Ha, exactly. If we didn't care about having nice tools we wouldn't be on this site. Whenever I buy a tool its a long term commitment.

And thank you, glad my grinding looks OK.

Yes, it looks good. If it is your only chain, I would get another loop (or two) of your choosing. I just got my Stihl Picco Super and Oregon VXL last night, but couldn't run them due to the rain. I'll report back when I do, with some timed cuts. Dolmar 421, BTW.

@brads2002 ,
icon_tra_005.gif

It has been my experience that EVERY forum is this way, whether guns or mountain bikes or whatever. The professionals carry the weight of their experience into the conversation and 99% of the members will not shoot 1,000 yards or go to British Columbia to ride a bike, for instance.

In their defense, I will say that no end user will go wrong buying pro-quality equipment, but they need to make an honest and informed decision if their new equipment will be overkill or unnecessary for their intended application. The difference is tangible.

Most homeowners won't need a ported 460 to prune trees or remove saplings, but it doesn't mean they can't be talked into it! ;)

It has been my experience that EVERY forum is this way, whether guns or mountain bikes or whatever. The professionals carry the weight of their experience into the conversation and 99% of the members will not shoot 1,000 yards or go to British Columbia to ride a bike, for instance.

In their defense, I will say that no end user will go wrong buying pro-quality equipment, but they need to make an honest and informed decision if their new equipment will be overkill or unnecessary for their intended application. The difference is tangible.

Most homeowners won't need a ported 460 to prune trees or remove saplings, but it doesn't mean they can't be talked into it! ;)
I disagree!!! I needed a ported 461 to triM saw briars around my house!!!:ices_rofl::confused:

Yup - which is why my saws are basically all homeowner class. Other than perhaps the GZ4000's, the only real pro construction saw I have is a Chinese G621 clone.

Its not the guys that use saws for a living that think anything that isn't 90cc,ported and needs a 36" bar won't cut wood.

Probably a good thing for everyone when a homeowner buys a pro saw. I imagine a market that large helps keep the costs lower for the pros

Back