Common man looking for a chainsaw on a budget

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did look hard at that thread but my price range really isn't working with what's left. I want a saw I don't need to tinker with and every time I hear there are great deals on here, I go and look, never see anything. Same for eBay.

The next one down in his list, the husky 350, excellent saws, and he is asking much less than the echo, and might actually be closer in size/weight to what you really need and can get by with. When they were selling those new, proly the best cut for the buck going, any size or make. It's been done already I am sure, but if you decide to offer on it or get it, just ask him to verify pressure/vacuum test for leaks first, and the tune. And those, if they ever need a new top end, can fit a husky 346xp piston and cylinder.

Your poulan..I am still suspicious of that cap and the vent inside. Real suspicious, and if the saw isn't venting correctly, it will run worse than crap and there ain't no tuning it fixed. We've had too many members here who got a pp5020av and had them running and cutting well.

Boxstore saws off the shelf, you can about bet they are shipped lean, too lean. Refurb saws, if some dude sitting on an assembly line with the foreman breathing down his neck to up production on "fixing" can get a saw to pop and run for two seconds..FIXED..next saw. I am sure all these refurbs out there need additional tweaking, I would just assume that if getting one.

Any saw I got, if it don't start and run and be idling well at around 5-6 pulls max, back to what passes for a bench with me. That's why I have multiple saws now, and multiple sizes, redundancy. When I need a saw of such and such a size to cut..."need" is there, I can't be dorking around with it, that's for later when the just in time need passes. I went from a one saw plan (that still works perfect, bought a dinky little husky new and the wrench there tuned it correctly before out the door), then the tornado hit, 6000 lbs of oak in the living room with us..to today, I have shall we say several. Even though I have run saws since 1970, firewood both personal and for people who sold wood, fenceposts, working for the town clearing roads, etc., I learned more the first two years here working on them than all those other years put together.

Worst thing is any saw recommended could potentially have problems I would look for an old school rancher 55 can be had for 150 bucks used if compression is there those are tough bastards I have 15 plus years on one it gets used very hard no services as of yet cept clean air filter original plug still in it they're not made anymore but parts are there. Mine still has very good compression and again it's been used very hard

That 5020 will run . But if you're leaning toward another saw already the used husqy line to me is the only ones I look at no disrespect to the dolmar as I just don't know jack bout em

The next one down in his list, the husky 350, excellent saws, and he is asking much less than the echo, and might actually be closer in size/weight to what you really need and can get by with. When they were selling those new, proly the best cut for the buck going, any size or make. It's been done already I am sure, but if you decide to offer on it or get it, just ask him to verify pressure/vacuum test for leaks first, and the tune. And those, if they ever need a new top end, can fit a husky 346xp piston and cylinder.

I can afford that saw and am tempted by it but my intent here is to get a rock solid saw w/ regards to reliability. I'm clearly no good at tuning saws and I don't think that buying a modded saw is the best thing for a knuckle dragger such as myself.

If u don't want to werk on it for a whileI would get a husquavarna. Not had a saw yet that I didn't have to werk on sooner or later but my husqvarna 440 has held up real well.

Just a suggestion from a new CAD chainsaw owner. For learning to tune, fix, repair, and just general knowledge of saws You can't beat $5-25 saws from friends, yardsales, flea markets, etc. I picked up a bunch of saws this way and am in the process of learning how to tune, diagnose, repair 2 cycle motors. I have rebuilt car engines, but these have always been a mystery to me. On the plus side, I fix a lot of saws just by replacing fuel lines in most of them, I now have about 8 running saws, if I mess one up I was only out 20 bucks. Much better than screwing up a 400 buck Echo.

Just a suggestion from a new CAD chainsaw owner. For learning to tune, fix, repair, and just general knowledge of saws You can't beat $5-25 saws from friends, yardsales, flea markets, etc. I picked up a bunch of saws this way and am in the process of learning how to tune, diagnose, repair 2 cycle motors. I have rebuilt car engines, but these have always been a mystery to me. On the plus side, I fix a lot of saws just by replacing fuel lines in most of them, I now have about 8 running saws, if I mess one up I was only out 20 bucks. Much better than screwing up a 400 buck Echo.

I understand but time is not something I have a lot of. I've got two small kids, a full time job, a yard full of trees that need to go, and I really need to clear that yard due to ticks (yeah, I need to put out repellant and I am going to do that). I just don't have time to tinker.

I understand but time is not something I have a lot of. I've got two small kids, a full time job, a yard full of trees that need to go, and I really need to clear that yard due to ticks (yeah, I need to put out repellant and I am going to do that). I just don't have time to tinker.
You pay for the travels and my time and I will bring my saws drop all your trees and try and get your 5020 going.
You can spend time with your kids and I will get a vacation from the 6 females in my house.

You pay for the travels and my time and I will bring my saws drop all your trees and try and get your 5020 going.
You can spend time with your kids and I will get a vacation from the 6 females in my house.

:D :D :D

I like dropping trees and making firewood. The top limbs are pretty bothersome though given my county's burn laws.

Most trouble free cheap saw, electric. Cost bout 60 to 70, chains are 10 to 15 bucks, and no carburetor. 200' cord and you can cut anything within 200 feet of the house. A generator you can cut anything else. Just use the dolmar for anything big.

Whole family of decent battery powered outdoor yardtools that work. No carbs, air filters, nuthin. Instant on/off. for the saws, I have the first generation, cut a ton with it, still works fine and the batts as still great. the second generation saw they have now with the brushless motor is way stronger, I ran one. String trimmer, polesaw, hedge trimmer, blower, same battery. Instant on/off, works great and powersharp system really does work, dull, five seconds later, sharp. Perfect for doing small stuff when you got fifteen minutes here and there to spare. get stuff done now, finish fixing your poulan when you can I'd start with either analyzing/repairing the cap or getting a new one.

http://oregoncordless.com/

FWIW, my local husky mechanic got one of these for himself for a small around the yard saw. Last thing he wants to do when he goes home and has a branch in the yard is fire up some gas engine thing, hahhahaha!

Latest posts

Back