Old vintage saws everywhere I looked

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you run the manufacturer recommended ratio of gas/oil in your saws? I have heard that you can run different ratios in them. The pl4 is 16:1
That 16:1 is 1960-1970s oil quality. I run 40:1 in my old 70"s saws using ECHO Powerblend from Home Depot. Now I'm just getting into these 50 and 60's saws so I would have to consult the vintage people here on those...."Vintage People", strikes me funny like the Village People. Anyway, I will put 40:1 in this Remington saw when I work it over.

Hope the mods won't mind me posting this, but I was trying really hard to get info on the man that had this great collection while I was digging through saws. I could only get that he was retired navy. So I did some internetting and found a name and obit for this past September. This man had a background that I appreciate so I copied a little of the obit here.

John was born in Winchester, Kentucky and graduated from the University of Louisville with a bachelor degree in business in 1965. In October of that same year he graduated from the Naval Officer Candidate School in Newport, RI and received a commission as an Ensign. John served his nation honorably during the Vietnam War as an engineering officer on the USS Samuel N Moore and he commanded a Swift Patrol boat at Cam Ranh Bay.

Not convinced yet?
Quite a score! SuperEZ is one of my favorite saws. I cut my teeth 50+ years ago on a big old 1950s Mac when I was 12. Tried a mini mac later, but went back to the big ol Mac. It was hard to lift, but once it was set, the saw did the work. The mini mac was working me ALL the time, but it was nice for pruning.

Back then I sold firewood for $5 a rick across the truck, a 36 chevy, and later a 48 with the same bed. That is about 3/4 of a face cord, delivered, and often stacked for $5. One customer wanted me to carry it uphill, Maybe 100 steps, then around back, and then stack it for $5 a rick. I think he ordered 4, so it took me a long time to carry it a few pieces at a time. The next time he called, I refused the sale.

I run a Homelite Super2 and stihls now. And I have my dad's poulens.

That 16:1 is 1960-1970s oil quality. I run 40:1 in my old 70"s saws using ECHO Powerblend from Home Depot. Now I'm just getting into these 50 and 60's saws so I would have to consult the vintage people here on those...."Vintage People", strikes me funny like the Village People. Anyway, I will put 40:1 in this Remington saw when I work it over.
I put in 40:1 in all my equipment, young or old.

i find them hard to work on ,.You have to split them to get to the carb.But they are screeching little saws.
They aren't the easiest to work on, but after working on several I've timed myself and I can take a fully assembled Mini Mac and have the engine out in 8 minutes.
And yep they scream and pull stronger than a 42cc poulan.

Looking at a clean running remington pro 88 for a hair under 4bills to the front porch. Is that a fair price[emoji848] I'm itching to be in that 100cc club.

I got a pair. Pro 88 and a Pro 88G for 160. Both needed the usual carb/fuel system overhaul and the points polished and set.

Be careful as they may have the Bendix Scintilla magneto which has a coil that will fail shortly.

I have a workaround to replace the coil with a Wico.

df3f91215ea0e7355b016f14d2d79713.jpg

2ef0f9cc15e4eadbac94e40e0b32a812.jpg

I’ve since put a 31” on the gear drive.

b7d86e46737af3c600bf242fd78f838a.jpg

Quite a score! SuperEZ is one of my favorite saws. I cut my teeth 50+ years ago on a big old 1950s Mac when I was 12. Tried a mini mac later, but went back to the big ol Mac. It was hard to lift, but once it was set, the saw did the work. The mini mac was working me ALL the time, but it was nice for pruning.

Back then I sold firewood for $5 a rick across the truck, a 36 chevy, and later a 48 with the same bed. That is about 3/4 of a face cord, delivered, and often stacked for $5. One customer wanted me to carry it uphill, Maybe 100 steps, then around back, and then stack it for $5 a rick. I think he ordered 4, so it took me a long time to carry it a few pieces at a time. The next time he called, I refused the sale.

I run a Homelite Super2 and stihls now. And I have my dad's poulens.
Look at that....my thread caught your first post on the site ? Cool and welcome.

Latest posts

Back