"You Suck" Thread 2018--Pics required!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This one was a pretty decent deal, but, unfortunately it was bought for a bad reason. Lost my shop and house in a fire with all of my saws on the 25th of last month.
I finally was able to get out of a hotel yesterday, and my temporary place has wood heat, lots of wood but most of it was 8 foot.
Went I to my Stihl/Husky dealer with intentions of maybe picking up a MS250 but this beauty was sitting on the floor on consignment.
One owner, purchased new from the same dealer, owner was an older gentleman who was finding it was getting too heavy for him.
$350CAD($275US) with a new chain and a trip through the shop, carb kit, fuel line and filter, and a not bad tune.
0e320155ed84a3289f976cdda2409765.jpg
cf924383457b45bc94a48d7797a9516c.jpg

630 & 670 J’reds are finest kind. [emoji108]

Welcome, for a first post you know how to get the ball rolling. Nice C series, no "White Death", corrosion creeping over it. I can't read the side tag, what model is it, Joe.
I took this saw completely apart, never have done anything like that before. Replaced the rings, then put it back together. Replaced the spark plug wire into the coil and replaced the plug cap. Took the carb off, cleaned it, then re-installed. Re-gaped the points and plug. Replaced the fuel line. Sprayed some starting fluid in it for the initial start. Started her up and she ran like a champ. I can start it up with no starting fluid now. Just choke it and pull the rope. Voila.

I took this saw completely apart, never have done anything like that before. Replaced the rings, then put it back together. Replaced the spark plug wire into the coil and replaced the plug cap. Took the carb off, cleaned it, then re-installed. Re-gaped the points and plug. Replaced the fuel line. Sprayed some starting fluid in it for the initial start. Started her up and she ran like a champ. I can start it up with no starting fluid now. Just choke it and pull the rope. Voila.
Fantastic! Be careful using ether/starting fluid, I'm told it washes the oil off the cylinder and can cause damage to the P/C. I've got a C5, and a C51, I guess I'll have to find a C52. Although mine are not runners, Joe.

Fantastic! Be careful using ether/starting fluid, I'm told it washes the oil off the cylinder and can cause damage to the P/C. I've got a C5, and a C51, I guess I'll have to find a C52. Although mine are not runners, Joe.
Well, the C-51 and C-52 aren't currently running, but they will be. Once I get 'em going, then I want to restore an XL-12.

My 2018 has been slow in the suckage department, until today when I stumbled onto this saw:
DSCN5513.JPG DSCN5514.JPG DSCN5515.JPG DSCN5509.JPG
While badged as a 371XP, the S/N plate indicates its actually a 372XP. Clearly it has seem many hours in the forest, but the compression is still 155psi and it starts after just a few pulls.
The inside dog mounts are trashed, and there are a couple wallered out screws holding on the starter housing, but for $100 out the door, one can't be too picky.

My buddy has been renting his mother's house to pay her nursing home bills. His long term renter retired and moved, now the house has been empty for several months, and he said he and his sister can only carry the financial load about two more months, and they will have to sell the house. He's been cleaning out the garage and Sunday he told me to take the drill press home. The base is cast iron. It took me two hours to get it off my trailer without dropping it. Figured it's close to 500 pounds.
qhRwNwf.jpg

cost $0 to reviv20180422_112140.jpg
Its alive. pp5020av wouldn't tune and i thought the ring was gone.
took off muffler and everything looked good. disassembled carb, ok there. put it back together and made a better carb adjuster RUNS LIKE NEW!
I'm back on the Good saw for the money bandwagon.
Moral of story ALWAYS CHECK COMPRESSION!

Attachments

• 20180422_112136.jpg
    20180422_112136.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 20
Thanks to the help of Acornhill I got my craftsman 3.7 running. Need to tweak the tune some and the off switch doesn't work yet (haven't tried since I cleaned it up more). But this thing was stubborn!

so every couple months i post an add on craigslist for unwanted or broke down saws. Well had a guy message me and tell me he had a Husqvarna he would sell for $50. It was his Old firewood saw and it quite running on him so he went and bought a new stihl to replace it. I went out to his place and he had it all set out for me to look at. when looked at what he had sitting on his tailgate I had to hide my excitement. Turns out his "old" firewood saw was a Non-Xtorq Husqvarna 372xpw. I picked it up and it felt like it had amazing compression. Gave the man $50 jumped in the truck and went straight home. pulled muffler and piston looked almost brand new. did compression test 160 psi, did a spark test, had no spark. I just so happened to have a OEM blue coil on the bench from a different 372 i had just put an unlimited coil on, put the coil on saw fired in 3 pulls. So yea i now have a Husky 372xpw (factory 75cc) saw that i paid $50 for

Attachments

• 154756.jpg
    154756.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 53
so every couple months i post an add on craigslist for unwanted or broke down saws. Well had a guy message me and tell me he had a Husqvarna he would sell for $50. It was his Old firewood saw and it quite running on him so he went and bought a new stihl to replace it. I went out to his place and he had it all set out for me to look at. when looked at what he had sitting on his tailgate I had to hide my excitement. Turns out his "old" firewood saw was a Non-Xtorq Husqvarna 372xpw. I picked it up and it felt like it had amazing compression. Gave the man $50 jumped in the truck and went straight home. pulled muffler and piston looked almost brand new. did compression test 160 psi, did a spark test, had no spark. I just so happened to have a OEM blue coil on the bench from a different 372 i had just put an unlimited coil on, put the coil on saw fired in 3 pulls. So yea i now have a Husky 372xpw (factory 75cc) saw that i paid $50 for
Yeah, that qualifies.

Today’s score. $100 036 pro runs good

Attachments

• C74EDD06-7E09-4C6A-9F69-963DBD37E857.jpeg
    C74EDD06-7E09-4C6A-9F69-963DBD37E857.jpeg
    824.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 1D924081-2CF7-42D9-92F8-72A1FBAEBFFB.jpeg
    1D924081-2CF7-42D9-92F8-72A1FBAEBFFB.jpeg
    769.6 KB · Views: 30

Latest posts

Back