Old vintage saws everywhere I looked

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Couple nice Jonsered 80's! Mine pull 225 pounds of compression. They are beasts!
Hey, bama. I have no idea which model those saws are as the sticker on the clutch side is gone. I can't find another number to help with ID. Can you give me some clues to check for ID on the saw, never had a Jonsered saw. One saw wouldn't let the recoil catch the flywheel pawls. Pulled cover and luckily one pawl and spring was fine the other was hanging behind flywheel. I'll need a circlip to hold it as one was missing.
thanks
After another look through the acres site, maybe the red/black is a 51? Looks like the 50 series with coil wire running through recoil cover. I had no idea the red/silver were gonna be 80 cc saws but I can't find a similar looking saw in a smaller version....wow! Glad I didn't know that or I would have offered more :dizzy:

Tom

Went to a sale today and picked up 6 saws. Didn't find but 2 saws I've been looking out for and picked up 4 more just because. I have been wanting a Poulan 306 OR 245 but nothing ever around here like that pops up, well today maybe my lucky day depending of course. No bars were included as I would have had to dig through more saws, tools, saws....stuff was everywhere and I was on my lunch break. Paid $120, essentially $20 per saw( except I paid 40 for the 306 and got the Skilsaw Poulan clone for nothing).
Anyway, it was hard digging to find what I did. I wanted to stick to what I know / have worked on. I got the blue craftsman 3.7 because my 3.7 is running a piece of cardboard for air cover and this cover looks great. I got the Homelite xl12 for no reason at all other than alot of folks on this site like them. I got the Mac 1010 because of BB Ray.
Anyway, I may go back. I pulled a couple of Jonsereds out and forgot to take pics of the model numbers but they look like 621's. I'm probably wrong but If I do go back I'll double check.
Gonna post some pics of the older stuff.View attachment 936349View attachment 936350View attachment 936351View attachment 936352
I think your craftsman saw was made by roper. I first ran that model in 1975. It had a lot of torque, but not a high revving saw. The self sharpning system never seemed to be very effective.

I think your craftsman saw was made by roper. I first ran that model in 1975. It had a lot of torque, but not a high revving saw. The self sharpning system never seemed to be very effective.
You are correct, Roper and the other Roper/Sears saws I have are torquey but rather slow compared to newer. I never tried the power sharp system but have heard the same. Those saws are abundant in my location. How about yours?

Hey, bama. I have no idea which model those saws are as the sticker on the clutch side is gone. I can't find another number to help with ID. Can you give me some clues to check for ID on the saw, never had a Jonsered saw. One saw wouldn't let the recoil catch the flywheel pawls. Pulled cover and luckily one pawl and spring was fine the other was hanging behind flywheel. I'll need a circlip to hold it as one was missing.
thanks
After another look through the acres site, maybe the red/black is a 51? Looks like the 50 series with coil wire running through recoil cover. I had no idea the red/silver were gonna be 80 cc saws but I can't find a similar looking saw in a smaller version....wow! Glad I didn't know that or I would have offered more :dizzy:

Tom
I think I was wrong! A bit rusty at this. The air screen cover is for a 621. Sorry to get your hopes up! The other one could be a 49sp or 52 I would think. Most common of those saws.

Here is the 621:
http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...af40002b8f7/11784e055d87ccf388256b690079200b/
Here is the 80:
http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...e76e700c2782a1fd88256b6900784da4?OpenDocument

There were only 2 that I saw. The one I ran, which was my uncle's and one that belonged to a friend of mine that helped clear my uncle's lot for his new house.There were probably some more since many people shopped at Sears at that time, but I saw mostly homelite, mccullough, poulan and stihl around here at that time.

I think I was wrong! A bit rusty at this. The air screen cover is for a 621. Sorry to get your hopes up! The other one could be a 49sp or 52 I would think. Most common of those saws.

Here is the 621:
http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...af40002b8f7/11784e055d87ccf388256b690079200b/
Here is the 80:
http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...e76e700c2782a1fd88256b6900784da4?OpenDocument
I was reeling with joy.....WAS :cry:
It's actually a relief because my original thought with those 3 was if they end up being runners, move them along. At 80cc, that plan got blurry, back on track

Check this out, the Wright Saw MOdel 316 reciprocating saw has a gas cap that fits the thread on the Shindaiwa 575. Not sure if the Shin cap is vented or not but the Wright is not I dont think. It'll due for now till I find better a source for a cap.
Still not sure which piston kit I want to buy. Looks like a Shindaiwa OEM on ebay for 39.00 that will work.
wright recip gas cap1.jpegwright recip model B 316.jpegwright recip gas cap.jpeg

I notice the vintage saws are climbing price wise. The post vintage saws too. I’m kind of done buying saws. Unless its very rare. Probably my rarest saw is the castor Bender. Italian made.

Haha those are even harder to find than the red and white. I missed a green military one on ebay a few days ago dang thing went for 200ish shipped. Super clean too. Is that a super 770?

Getting through a little bit more of the pile. JohnDeere 66SV twin cylinder clone/built by Echo CST-610EVL.
Motor feels like compression is good, missing the handlebar... the mount is there and bottom holes look ok, the footplate is broken off as seen in pics and was definitely gettin dirty. Trigger/choke/carb looks functional and all there.JD 66SV 3.jpegJD 66SV.jpegJD 66SV 1.jpegJD 66SV 2.jpegJD 66SV 5.jpeg

The JD saw has its own inboard screwdriver so you can adjust the idle. Pretty neat I guess. Went thru the saw a little this evening, fuel line appears intact and is soft, carb inside was mostly clean both diaphragms were soft and useable, starter pawls were stiff until PB blaster hit em. Saw came to life on prime. I think I'll press/vac test it tmrw evening. Other than just rinsing the tank and trying it may be smart too.JD 66SV 7SCREWDRIVER.jpegJD 66SV 8.jpeg

+1 for the echo and it's innovations🏆
If it's anything like this CS500VL I picked up last year or the year before, CRS flarin up, then it will be a great deal. This saw is only just shy of 50 cc but its a pleasure to run. It came with 24" bar but it was just too big IMO so it has a 20" bar now. Part of a nine saw deal I got. I think if you search nine saws and my name you will find a thread on it. CS500VL 9.jpegCS500VL 16.jpegCS500VL 17.jpeg

Latest posts

Back