Stihl 500i R availability?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chtucker

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I placed my order with Siskun in Everett Washington. I did talk to another dealer for pricing, and they were both the same. Siskun has been easy to deal with and has provided bars/chains at decent pricing in the past. Neither dealer could tell me when Stihl would ship/have it. I went with 500i R and a 25" bar...

Anyone have insight on how far Stihl is backlogged? Do the dealers really have no idea when Stihl can ship?

I got mine a few weeks back - the last one from my dealers order of 6. They said you won’t be able to get one here (Australia) for at least 3 months. I didn’t need mine straight away but I’ll definitely need it in two months so given that the delays keep extending on other parts im waiting on I grabbed it now.

I called Madsens in Centralia, WA and they are out of stock on the 500i. They sold out of the 150 that they had. They ordered another 100 but they are not sure when they will get them in. They have a 500i waiting list if you want to get on it there. I would get on it, but they now have to charge sales tax in WA for Oregon residents. Apparently they did away with tax-free Oregon residents sales tax in WA state over a year ago now. Oh, the price they quoted me was $1,253 + 8% sales tax for an R model (all they sell there) and a 28 inch B&C.

I called Madsens in Centralia, WA and they are out of stock on the 500i. They sold out of the 150 that they had. They ordered another 100 but they are not sure when they will get them in. They have a 500i waiting list if you want to get on it there. I would get on it, but they now have to charge sales tax in WA for Oregon residents. Apparently they did away with tax-free Oregon residents sales tax in WA state a little over a year ago now. Oh, the price they quoted me was $1,253 + 8% sales tax for an R model (all they sell there) and a 28 inch B&C.
That is crazy! I am paying a bit more, but I don't have to drive 4 hours round trip.. I am hoping that its only a few weeks not months

Wow, maybe Madsens is the way for me to go on the 500i here. They are all back ordered locally in North Oregon, and they have no idea when they will be in. Also I was quoted $1,485 for a 500i non-R model here locally, with no sales tax. If they had one, which they do not. Madsens with sales tax is $1,353, which is $35 less than the 661 here. $35 would pay for the gas round trip to Centralia, which is also 4 hours round trip from here. Though it is mostly no traffic this route. Seattle traffic is INSANE! these days.

Wow, maybe Madsens is the way for me to go on the 500i here. They are all back ordered locally in North Oregon, and they have no idea when they will be in. Also I was quoted $1,485 for a 500i non-R model here locally, with no sales tax. If they had one, which they do not. Madsens with sales tax is $1,353, which is $35 less than the 661 here. $35 would pay for the gas round trip to Centralia, which is also 4 hours round trip from here. Though it is mostly no traffic this route. Seattle traffic is INSANE! these days.
Yeah - I live in Kirkland.. It would be Seattle and Tacoma traffic. I was quoted $1399 + tax..

I stopped in at RDO in Missoula, not one. They had 14 a while ago. Seems they are selling very fast.

I ordered a new bar for my big saw, so will get to check again in about 2 weeks or so. I just want to feel them and get an impression from hands on in the store.

Yeah - I live in Kirkland.. It would be Seattle and Tacoma traffic. I was quoted $1399 + tax..
You could also get one in Vancouver, BC. Price there for a 500i R is $1,660 CDN, plus 12% VAT for $1,866 x 0.78 exchange rate, or $1,450 USD. There used to be a way to get the VAT tax back for foreigners buying in Canada, but they scrapped that in '07.

You could also get one in Vancouver, BC. Price there for a 500i R is $1,660 CDN, plus 12% VAT for $1,866 x 0.78 exchange rate, or $1,450 USD. There used to be a way to get the VAT tax back for foreigners buying in Canada, but they scrapped that in '07.
If I could cross the border..

Madsen's is good to deal with! Washington retailers are required to charge State sales tax. Oregon residents can file a form at the end of the year with the State of WA to get the taxed refunded!
Coastal Farm has had a few 500i's in stock at Oregon City and Gresham, but pretty much list price.

Sold the 362RCM today.. Hopefully the MS500iR comes in soon. This was a couple of weeks ago and the motivation for the upgrade. We keep the Dewalts in the trucks for simple blowdowns/limbing. Obviously days like this take a bit more.. This was every few hundred yards over two miles.photo_2021-01-19_10-04-04.jpgphoto_2021-01-19_10-04-05.jpgphoto_2021-01-19_10-04-07.jpg

Madsen's is good to deal with! Washington retailers are required to charge State sales tax. Oregon residents can file a form at the end of the year with the State of WA to get the taxed refunded!
Coastal Farm has had a few 500i's in stock at Oregon City and Gresham, but pretty much list price.
Looking closer at this one... according to the WA state web site:

Effective July 1, 2019, the retail sales tax exemption is no longer available at the point of sale for nonresidents of Washington State who purchase tangible personal property, digital goods, and digital codes. You must collect retail sales tax from all of your nonresident customers, unless the customer or sale qualifies for another exemption. See our list of common nonresident exemptions for more information and related documentation requirements. -Note about the exemption list: non-resident exemptions include purchases of cars, trucks, tractors, trailers, and large boats (over 30 feet in length)-.

The above was amended 6 months later with:

Starting Jan. 1, 2020, you may request a refund of the state portion of retail sales tax (6.5%) that you paid on eligible purchases in the prior year. See our Qualified Nonresident refund page for more information. Note: You may only make one refund request per year, for qualifying purchases made in the previous year. Total refund amount must be $25 or more (total purchases before tax must be more than $384.62). Refunds are only available to residents of Oregon, Alaska, Montana, Delaware, New Hampshire, Colorado, American Samoa, and in Canada residents of Alberta, NW Territories, Nunavut and The Yukon. And no sales tax rebate on buying WA state weed!

So seemingly I can get the state's 6.5% of the sales tax back in a year. Long time to wait for it, but hell, its cheaper to buy the saws there than here, even with no local sales tax in Oregon. So I will get on the Madsens 500i list. My price would be $1,353 out of pocket, but I would get $81 back from WA state for an actual cost of $1,272. That is $6 less than the price of a 462 R model with a 28 inch bar here in Oregon with no sales tax.

Acc'd to US Customs, the border crossing restrictions will be lifted 11:59 p.m. EDT on February 21, 2021.
On the Canadian side as soon as that date gets close they close the border again, for another month.
My dealer here has the saw in stock, says he sold bout 15 .
Would love to have one just cant justify the cost for firewood cutting only.

I placed my order with Siskun in Everett Washington. I did talk to another dealer for pricing, and they were both the same. Siskun has been easy to deal with and has provided bars/chains at decent pricing in the past. Neither dealer could tell me when Stihl would ship/have it. I went with 500i R and a 25" bar...

Anyone have insight on how far Stihl is backlogged? Do the dealers really have no idea when Stihl can ship?
Nobody has an ETA because of the influx of backorders that needs to be filled. So they're constantly getting new shipment but they're going out just as fast. Most commercial saws are hard to get. The only ones that's at the warehouse currently and just recently are the 461's, 462's and 661's. The 201, 261, 362, 500i are all gone have been since last year. And of course, this depends on the distributor/region.

The price difference between the 500's standard and R models are $40 and add another $50 if you want the light bar. The price also went up almost $100 from last year. It's the same price as the 661 now.

Nobody has an ETA because of the influx of backorders that needs to be filled. So they're constantly getting new shipment but they're going out just as fast. Most commercial saws are hard to get. The only ones that's at the warehouse currently and just recently are the 461's, 462's and 661's. The 201, 261, 362, 500i are all gone have been since last year. And of course, this depends on the distributor/region.

The price difference between the 500's standard and R models are $40 and add another $50 if you want the light bar. The price also went up almost $100 from last year. It's the same price as the 661 now.
Thanks for the insight... I asked for the R with the 25" light bar.. I called Madsens and they were going to get back to me this afternoon with an update from Stihl.. I ordered from Siskun in Everett, WA. I probably could take 2-3 for my crews.. but I wanted one personally first.

I put my 1 year old 362RCM up for sale and it sold in less than 12 hours.. I guess I didn't realize what the whole inventory situation was... I was just thinking it was the 500i being in short supply.

I might buy a 462 in the interim if it will be a few months.. I just wish the dealers could provide a date..

Might want to give Glen's out in Granite Falls a call. Not sure if he has any more left, but he's good people. (360) 691-6100

Latest posts

Back